Exhaust Volume Perception

CV355

_
Established Member
Most of us on here like hearty exhausts. Some of us lean more towards a good sound and moderate volume and others like blaring, eardrum-piercing pipes.

My question for you guys is- how do your neighbors perceive it? Have you dealt with complaints, or subtle passive-aggressiveness?

I often have to leave my house for work at 5AM, so starting the GT500 up is loud. I try to be extremely gentle on the throttle while leaving the neighborhood so I don't tick off the neighbors. Our neighborhood is spaced out a lot more than most but it's still a concern for me. Nobody will say anything to me about it but I still wonder.

Now I'm stuck with another dilemma- I picked up a Sportster 1200 and the stock exhaust makes it sound like a pissed off sewing machine. I want to put some moderate pipes on it but my work schedule would have me be the neighborhood alarm clock.

Does this ever bother you guys? My last neighborhood had some gweebs in older S10s with open headers. It was awful. I never want that reputation as "that asshole with the loud exhaust."

SHOdown220

Established Member
i always worry about this too, but have never had complaints. I used to have my mustang with O/R X and axle back exhaust when i was living in a townhouse, and then my harleys which have been fairly loud both at the townhouse and in an apartment. Now i have my house with several other houses very close. I could start it in the garage and hope it keeps some noise contained but it might just be even louder. I leave for work every day at 5, including saturday. Ill just keep doing what im doing and try to go as easy on the bike as i can out and quickly exit the neighborhood.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Back when I lived in a townhome with my long tube Lightning, my neighbors told me it was loud, but didn't care since they were up at that time. Said it was an emergency alarm clock lol.
At first I thought they were going to be pissed about it, had two hybrid cars, but turned out they were muscle car fans that had their fast cars up in NY/PA area.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We don't have neighbors to worry about. Waking up my wife and kids would be more of an issue.

Tauntonterror

Established Member
I have an o/r h pipe and knock off slp loudmouths( called mac boomtubes). I've always lived near a ton of people, most usually like it and don't have much too say. Honestly even if they did, what am I suppose too do? Not drive the car? So if someone ever complains I'll just say sorry and that's the end Of it.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Back when I lived in a condo development in college I was worried about people getting mad when I first moved in since I would leave around 6 every morning. After a couple months of living there I had numerous neighbors stop me and ask me questions about the car and what type of power it made.

I think as long as you try to be courteous people take note of that and respect you for it.

jacker1991

Established Member
My neighbors love my exhaust (O/R X+MagnaPacks), they even ask me to open her up when I am leaving the house from time to time. With that said, I never drive around my neighborhood in an aggressive manner. I always wait like 3 blocks before I start making some noise. It also helps that I never use the Cobra before 9am on weekdays and 11am on weekends.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you haven't heard complaints about your GT500, and its as loud as you say it is, it probably won't be an issue. Just be respectful, and don't rev the piss out of the bike for 15 minutes warming it up before you leave and you should be fine.

4a7191a

Established Member
I could care less. Not being an ass, I just drive slow, and it's still loud. It's not like I'm hammering through the gears and yeah.. I've had some complements as well as some complaints.
Truth be told I honestly think they're happy I don't have keg partys every month like I used to when I was younger.

Gravik

Established Member
Dunno and don't care. My neighbor has a little ankle biter dog that yaps all ****ing day and night. So they're about to hear some lovely cammed spintech idle soon lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I get compliments. And people brake necks.:D

People even noticed my truck last time it came home on back of a tow truck and inquired about it. People are just nosey.

CV355

_
Established Member
If you haven't heard complaints about your GT500, and its as loud as you say it is, it probably won't be an issue. Just be respectful, and don't rev the piss out of the bike for 15 minutes warming it up before you leave and you should be fine.

My GT500 isn't obnoxiously loud, but it definitely lets out a good shout when I start it up.

As for the bike, I've never been the "brap brap" type. I leave it idling until I need gas. :)

Zemedici

Established Member
My girls 2015 is VERY loud - Blown 302 with Stainless Works Longtubes, offroad midpipe, and stainless works 3" catback.

Needless to say she rolls backwards down the driveway every morning without the car running, then fires it up in 2nd and gets out of the neighborhood as quick as she can.

Mean while, me and my brother dont care NEARLY as much, here's his old c5z we put a cam in...and it sounded like this every morning at 6:30 for 6 months til he finally put mufflers on it.

Here's my current 03 cobra, crank it up every morning at 7am on the nose.

I'll recommend the same thing I told Tanya, I wouldnt worry about it until you get a complaint. I currently live in a VERY tight neighborhood (8' from the side of my brothers house to the wall of his neighbors house, probably 150 houses in this neighborhood this close to each other) and it seems every other house has a street car, I wouldnt worry about it.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I worry too. Sometimes I get up at 4 am to go to school (when I was in school) no one has said anything. My neighbor did once say that my car was loud. I apologized and said I try to be quiet with it and he said is wasn't a problem.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
My neighbors all say the same thing, something along the lines of "boy your car sounds good but that kid across the streets Subaru is obnoxious/sounds like something isn't right."
The WRX has a loose fitting exhaust and an aftermarket bov that is venting to atmosphere. The result sounds like a boxer engine mixed with a rumbling, wet fart.

Sent from my HTC 10

CV355

_
Established Member
When I lived in CT, I had a blown '00 GT, O/R pipes, SLP Loudmouths, etc. You know, the pissed off elephant sounding thing. We lived way out in the woods and the closest neighbor was barely visible. I found out 3 years after I sold the car that I had been waking up my neighbors every morning, unintentionally. They never said anything, so I felt awful about it.

My current neighborhood is spread out nicely- everyone has a few acres to work with, but they spread out from a large cul-de-sac. We love the neighborhood since it's in the middle of nowhere and there are only 12 or so houses in about 40 acres of land. Coming from an ant-hill 1/4 acre subdivision just prior, this place is paradise so I don't want to screw it up :)

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Now I'm stuck with another dilemma- I picked up a Sportster 1200 and the stock exhaust makes it sound like a pissed off sewing machine. I want to put some moderate pipes on it but my work schedule would have me be the neighborhood alarm clock.

What did you get?

And my suggestion is Magnaflow for the bike. I got the Legacy Series on my Nightster and love it. I have a build thread in Pics & Vids on it and a video of the exhaust before and after.

Sent from Josh's sparkly pocket

Users who are viewing this thread