Expedition Console Question

PC PaiN

Established Member
I called a junkyard here in town and they have a console for like 15$. I'm going to drive out there tomorrow and buy it if it's not totally trashed. What tools do I need to pull this out of the expedition? It's a U-Pull it place so I have to bring my tools with me.

Also should I snag a seat out there if there price is right?

lokilightning

AnotherWhiningFarmTruck
Established Member
Regular socket set with a couple of extra extensions. Phillips screwdriver for the trim. Very small flathead also. Some of the front trays have a small torx bit and some have phillips screws. You have to remove that to get to the 2 front screws, which is where you will need the extra extensions. The front 2 are down in long tubes in the console. The 2 back screws will be on the side next to the seatbelts. I find it easier sometimes to take out the seats to get to the back 2. Once you unbolt the 2 on the side(back) and the 2 front(top), just slide the entire console back and you can lift it away from the mounting brackets. If you are planning on cutting down your stock seats, you will need the pass seat pan also. Just unbolt everything from the seatpan, then mount the seat rails back on it. It will be cheaper to just buy the seatpan with the rails/floor mounts than to buy the entire seat. If it is your first time, give yourself a couple of hours to get it all apart. Good luck.

PC PaiN

Established Member
what do the seat parts normally cost? They are saying like 40$ for a pair of seats. That's why I was thinking of just snatching a complete seat for parts while I'm there.

I'm picking a great day, weather is going to be terrible tomorrow but some deals you can't pass up lol

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Look in the howto. I think Chris Nelson shows what tools you will need. Not sure tho and its been a while since i had mine out

lokilightning

AnotherWhiningFarmTruck
Established Member
$13 - $18 for the pan so $20 is not bad at all. They will try to charge you for little chit so make sure you put the console and brackets back together after you pull it. If it has the a/c controls, they will charge extra for that too. Hopefully you get a good checkout person that don't do it, but they always try to get me with the petty shit .

PC PaiN

Established Member
thanks, i've been searching around and it looks like if I can snag a whole seat out of the expedition it should bolt up and I shouldn't need to order any of the normal extra parts to do the mod. Anyone with experience let me know if I'm wrong on that one.

lokilightning

AnotherWhiningFarmTruck
Established Member
The only thing I have ever had to order out of the 5 swaps I have done is some of the rubbers were not with the consoles. ie cupholders and rubber mat for the front tray. I even moved my 6disk changer into my console so that I could mount subs behind the seat. Make sure you get the seatbelt buckle with the pass seat. Try to find a gray one as they do not like paint. You can use the buckets out of the F150's and Navigator's also. Also, keep in mind, if the seat has armrests attached to it, the truck will have a narrow console.:beer: You can still use the seat pan though.

PC PaiN

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I'm cool with a narrow console, the lady on the phone said they only have a 98 expy, but I can check and see if they have a navigator or something as well.

I just can't believe I might get all the main pieces for like less than 50$

PC PaiN

Established Member
One last question, does anyone know the width difference between the narrow and wide console?

lokilightning

AnotherWhiningFarmTruck
Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I'm cool with a narrow console, the lady on the phone said they only have a 98 expy, but I can check and see if they have a navigator or something as well.

I just can't believe I might get all the main pieces for like less than 50$

It is usually just over $100 for the entire swap when done like this. And that is including the upholstery shop to cut down the cushion and sew up the fabric. :beer:

One last question, does anyone know the width difference between the narrow and wide console?

I have one in each of my trucks and have never measured them. I like them both equally though. I would say the tops are about 2" in difference, bottoms are about the same.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Damn that's cheap! I just found an 03 HD console and the guy wants $200!!!! It looks so good though!

PC PaiN

Established Member
well it didn't work out. Console was broken in two places that would probably be expensive to fix so I passed on it.

I'll just have to keep looking

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
i used an expy seat pan for mine. however i cut the stock bolster off my stock bench and welded it onto the expy seat pan, then had my stock foam cut down accordingly.

PC PaiN

Established Member
I finally picked up a console! My buddy works at a dealership in the Fort Worth area and he got me one from a 2000 in really good shape. Has a cd changer in it which I need to figure out how to test so I can sell and recoup some of the money

Users who are viewing this thread