Experienced guys, what do you think of this career path?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So I came into the Marines with an open mind as to not limit myself to possibilities that may arise. I've excelled in everything so far, rising to the top of every position I could attain. But after doing 3 1/2 years in Security Forces and then moving on to the fleet I lost a lot if motivation and was prepared to just get out because it's not for me. Being one of those typical guys that says he's getting out, I'm actually considering reenlisting.

My plan as of now is to reenlist to go back to Bangor Naval Base with Security Forces. My original plan was to get out and go to school, but now I'm thinking it would be smarter to go back to Bangor and do my schooling while I'm there and transition out from there. I understand how things work there and I find it to be a doable process. If I were to just go to school I would still need to work another job so why not just keep the one I have and do school on the side? I'm also from Washington state with Seattle, where I'm from, only about an hour away from the base. I would also be picking up Sgt either right before I leave or as soon as I get there.

I really enjoyed my time while I was there and going back as a Sgt would offer me a different kind of experience being a fleet returnee. The pay with BAH, benefits, and as of now bonus of $9200 for 03s is looking pretty good.

What problems may arise there or what should I be looking for as this I am on my first enlistment and am not familiar with the entire process of reenlistment. I know there are very few boat spaces but since I'm an Oct EAS I fall under FY15 so I will be among the first to pick for that year. I just need some guidance from those who have been around the block here. Thanks!

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
I would recommend you talk to your BN or BDE Reenlistment NCO about your options. If you are on the fence of getting out and staying in, I would recommend staying in. This is of course if you enjoy what you are doing and still find it fun to go to work each day. The civilian economy is a big crap shoot nowadays. If you do not have a for sure plan or income when you separate from the service, then again, I recommend you stay in. There are a lot of Soldiers that have separated from the service, discovered what civilian life is, and wish they had never gotten out. Then they try to rejoin and get the door slammed in their face.

Keep in mind with the continuing draw down of military, many Soldiers will get the thanks for serving, but you have to go letter. Reenlistment is not a right. It is up to the Soldiers Company Commander as to if he or she feels that the Soldier is "Cream of the Crop" if not, he can deny the Soldier from reenlisting.

Its going to get tough, so always giving 110% and putting yourself above your peers is a good thing to do.

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
I would make sure going back is even an option for you right now. Do they rate your MOS/rank right now? Is picking your duty station still a garaunteed incentive? How long have you been on station at Pendleton? You won't receive orders until after you reenlist so these are some things to keep in mind. During my first reenlistment I chose to go to Miramar but received orders to Pendleton instead. I could have fought it but took the orders instead. Refusing orders right now can bite you in the ass and monitors are becoming increasingly difficult to work with. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Well the career counselor won't really talk to us right now because we can't put our packets in til July which is sort of bs because it's his job. But I've been talking to other staff NCOs who know things but no one really know ALL the details about what I want to do so I'm hoping to find an expert in this area. What do you mean by rank/rate exactly? If you're taking about what tier I fall into, last time I checked I was in tier 1.

I understand I could get screwed so I literally won't be signing any papers unless they have my duty station on there. Everyone is saying since it's my b-billet then my incentive would be the location so that's what I'm banking on right now, but of course it's not 100% certain.

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Basically, is there a line number on the T/O (billet) at the unit you are going to. The line number is based on an MOS and rank. For example the unit rates (5) 0311 E5s. Your monitor probably can't get you there if they are at or over T/O, but you can usually go one up or one down from the T/O. As long as the unit rates you and has the space it shouldn't be terribly difficult. Your best option would be to talk to your monitor and see if the move is feasible before doing anything else, if it is make or break for you. I'm no career planner (might be a recruiter soon, but that's a different story) but I know a lot about how line numbers a T/Os work. I've reenlisted a couple of times so let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
well im in the army so its different. iv reenlisted 4 times so far and now am indef. the first enlistment was just to check out the army and i went to korea so i reenlisted to see the rest of the army in the states. 2nd reenlistment was to change jobs and i just wasnt ready to get out since my state side time was only 8 months before i deployed. 3rd was because the economy was shitty and this last one was to go recruiter plus i already had 10yrs in so why not another 10 and retire at 38? with all that said time will FLY by after you hit the 5yr mark and before you know it you will have 10 in... then 15 and bam you retire. if you are not motivated or dont think you could get motivated again id suggest getting out before you imprison yourself and feel helpless. hoestly 3.5 years isnt enough to fully understand the military nor is it long enough for your life to be changed to where you are living the military life instead of working the military. once you start actually living the life its easier and shit becomes 2nd nature. probably why newbies drive me ****ing nuts.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i was in your position 2 years ago...same tier, rank, fy/career planner challenge..while i don't share your mos i can say your chances of getting EXACTLY where you want are slim unless you are hooked up with a monitor, who most likely won't give you the time of day. but don't base your life on a duty station...there's BS to deal with everywhere you just gotta determine if it's worth it...i've seen a lot of folks come through that got out and just couldn't sustain a civilian job as well and ended up coming back in(which is getting more difficult to do) personally, i'll do my 20 and collect a check/healthcare for breathing...have you seen these skate GS jobs that retirees roll into???

@04slosnake--you made the HSST list to huh? i'm right there with you:beer:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Yeah, they finally got me. But I've only been in Oki for 6 months and I'm in a critical MOS so they are now just wasting my time making me get screened. Apparently there are no more automatic disqualifications.

Users who are viewing this thread