F-150 Lightning Review: Road Trips=Kryptonite.

02reaper

Established Member
I traded my 2016 3.5 ecoboost in on an extended range lightning. Almost 3 weeks with it now and close to 2k miles without any complaints. Drove it almost 500 miles home without any charging issues, and took it to a theme park around 150 miles one way without charging issues. All other charging has been at home. Spent a max of 20 minutes recharging per stop while on the road. It hasn't been an issue for me so far, but we do need a better charging infrastructure to compete with gas/Diesel. Everything has its place, what works for one person doesn't have to be the solution for the next person.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Can confirm my 2.7L V6 F150 gets 580+ miles per tank and shows 22.3 mpg on the dash.
Can confirm you are causing massive climate change because it's not electric. How dare you! As penance for your fossil fuel sins, you must go stand next to a sUpEr cLeAn lithium mine and breathe in the environmental friendliness.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Can confirm my 2.7L V6 F150 gets 580+ miles per tank and shows 22.3 mpg on the dash.

My 5.0L with a 36gallon tank and it even sounds like a truck instead of an angry weed whacker.

Image1667406416.732755.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
Starting to wonder when the false advertisement law suits start to pop up on that whole 300 mile, 350 mile range on these over sized R/C cars. I have yet to even hear of a Tesla owner getting what Musk has said is the range of it.

2019 P90 owned it for over 2 years and have yet to even get 225 miles out of a full charge of the 300 mile advertised range. He says you turn on the heat that effects range, A/C even winding down the windows effect range. He has to plan the route he has to take if he wants to go to Akron (55 miles one way) as if he hits more than 10 traffic lights up there, he might not make it back on a full charge!!!!!!
Highway driving and climate control are the two biggest range killers. If I recall correctly, that the Porsche Taycan got the closest to their advertised range because of it's two speed transmission. If the world wants to go electric hybrid powertrains are the only solution in the US. At some point you need gas to fill the range gap of these things.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The highest I’ve managed to get my dash DTE in my 450 is 783 miles, filled up after a couple hours unloaded on the interstate with cruise set at 75. With a 48 gallon tank that would be ~16mpg - a little optimistic I would guess.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Highway driving and climate control are the two biggest range killers. If I recall correctly, that the Porsche Taycan got the closest to their advertised range because of it's two speed transmission. If the world wants to go electric hybrid powertrains are the only solution in the US. At some point you need gas to fill the range gap of these things.
The Taycan gets close to its advertised range because Porsche was conservative with the estimates at launch, moreso than other EV makers. The 2 speed is more for getting max acceleration with a low 1st gear.

The biggest issue is crappy charging infrastructure and the simple physics of how fast you can add charge to a battery versus dumping energy-dense liquid into a gas tank. Aside from spending more on gas, no one really cares if they get 150 miles or 500 miles out of a tank of gas, because it takes 5 minutes to refill it and there's stations everywhere.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
My 5.0L with a 36gallon tank and it even sounds like a truck instead of an angry weed whacker.

View attachment 1767577

"Stand on the gas, and the 2.7 will scoot this Crew Cab truck to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds. Not only is that 0.2 second quicker than a 2018 version we tested, it's a tenth of a second quicker than a 2021 F-150 with the 5.0 V-8."
-Car and Driver

Weed whacker>truck sound

and that is without a tune or intercooler.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
"Stand on the gas, and the 2.7 will scoot this Crew Cab truck to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds. Not only is that 0.2 second quicker than a 2018 version we tested, it's a tenth of a second quicker than a 2021 F-150 with the 5.0 V-8."
-Car and Driver

Weed whacker>truck sound

Good point, the 5.0L needs turbos.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
-Car and Driver

Weed whacker>truck sound

I owned a 2.7 2019 F150.

This 5.0L is a far better truck.

And by all means, let’s do a comparison test between a modified 2.7L and a Odin or Whippled 5.0L.

Please stop.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
-Car and Driver

Weed whacker>truck sound

So you would sacrifice great amazing sound for being faster by a fender or two?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
God i love my 5.0L screw sport lol

Yeah i replaced the battery last year lol...for 200 bucks lol

2015 bought new and i have 140k on her. One battery, one starter and pads and rotors is all she has needed

Blown 89

Established Member
The Taycan gets close to its advertised range because Porsche was conservative with the estimates at launch, moreso than other EV makers. The 2 speed is more for getting max acceleration with a low 1st gear.

The biggest issue is crappy charging infrastructure and the simple physics of how fast you can add charge to a battery versus dumping energy-dense liquid into a gas tank. Aside from spending more on gas, no one really cares if they get 150 miles or 500 miles out of a tank of gas, because it takes 5 minutes to refill it and there's stations everywhere.
The two speed saves 5% battery and allows the rear drive to disconnect too.

Users who are viewing this thread