F*#king IRS blew out tonight (pix)

silveroush281

ITBLOWZBYE
Established Member
I took the cobra out for the first time in weeks, lauched it a little hard from a stop light and this is what i got.I should have realized this was going to happen sooner or later , ive allready broken both half shafts.

attachment.php

HIGHOCTANE

Speed Junkie
Established Member
grimreefer said:
That sux :( ...and this reminds me that I need to order that IRS brace.
Yep, just ordered mine, cheap insurance.

That sucks! Looks like a good time to go solid! When I break something I just use as an excuse to the wife to buy something better. LOL

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
been watching these things blow diff covers for 3-1/2 years. There has been a remedy since early 2004 when Doug Holloway, Mark Chipetta and Joe Lynch came up with this;

showiso.jpg

It should be on every single IRS COBRA. That is unless you want to be taking pictures like the thread starter. It does not matter what HP you have, stock cars have broken covers. Oh yeah, replacement covers went from $53 to almost $200

www.billetflow.com or 313-388-8228 to order

Last edited:

silveroush281

ITBLOWZBYE
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
helps to back off when it hops....with only 462hp, it wasnt your massive brute hp that did that.

as soon as i hit 2nd gear thats all she wrote...no time to back off

postban said:
been watching these things blow diff covers for 3-1/2 years. There has been a remedy since early 2004 when Doug Holloway, Mark Chipetta and Joe Lynch came up with this;

It should be on every single IRS COBRA. That is unless you want to be taking pictures like the thread starter. It does not matter what HP you have, stock cars have broken covers. Oh yeah, replacement covers went from $53 to almost $200

www.billetflow.com or 313-388-8228 to order

The sad thing is ive had one since last x-mas and never installed it.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I still swear up and down that if someone (you listening Doug?) could build billet steel caps for this diff, it would be as much a help as the brace...if not more. Those aluminum caps CANNOT be good!

silveroush281

ITBLOWZBYE
Established Member
How hard of a fix is this?should i just take it to the dealer? I have a spare irs sitting at the shop ,can anyone share some info on what exactly i did ,and how i can fix it...

basicly i know i broke the Differential cover,but what caused it?should i be worried about the gears or anything?Can i just put on a new Differential cover and add fluid?

Last edited:

pb1302

Established Member
Got me a brace and it will be the first thing installed on the car as soon as it gets here to Germany.

I think Doug already has those BILLET DIFF covers you are talking about......seen a pik somewhere and it is sick.......looks like it belongs on a tank

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
It's hard to tell what happened there. At first glance, I assumed the cross shaft came out and wiped out the cover. But I can see it sitting there right where it belongs. It's not broken around the ring gear where you might suspect a something broken there. I've seen others break in the same spot too. I still suspect those weak aluminum caps are spreading under high torque loads and the weakest part of the diff is going bye bye. Since we have to live with those caps, your only option is Doug's brace to try and hold everything together. I don't believe that brace is DIRECTLY addressing the issue with that IRS, but I know for a fact that it prevents failures by strengthening the weak spot. I believe it to be a must addition to these cars.

dougwg

Established Member
silveroush281 said:
The sad thing is ive had one since last x-mas and never installed it..

:nonono: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

and one more :poke:

dougwg

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
I still swear up and down that if someone (you listening Doug?) could build billet steel caps for this diff, it would be as much a help as the brace...if not more. Those aluminum caps CANNOT be good!

ok... ok... ok

Even though this time it was not the caps that gave up the ghost I guess I can look into making some up

I think Postban and Blownshift have their diff's out right now and I can take some measurements

ok fine... I guess I can get off my a$$ and head over to Postbans.... so much for a weekend off :p

Users who are viewing this thread