F*#king IRS blew out tonight (pix)

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Damn, that's scary!

I just got my vert and I can't have it breaking like that as it's my DD. I've had it two weeks and I've already experienced the wheelhop several times but I've gotten out of it quickly each time. I'm bone stock down to the silencer and I drive the car easy. Should I throw down the $$ for the brace or should I wait until I do a bunch of mods at once for the rear??

No threadjack intended. That really sucks!

EDIT: Nevermind I re-read Postban's reply

It should be on every single IRS COBRA. That is unless you want to be taking pictures like the thread starter. It does not matter what HP you have, stock cars have broken covers.

Last edited:

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
I got wheel hop the other night when i took off at a light. I thought it was a mixture of the bumpy road and my crappy tires. My brother was behind me and he side i was "skipping" all over the place. I will prb get a brace if even stocky's are blowing covers. I noticed some type of fluid, old looking in the form of an old leak comming out of the rear diff when I was getting my exhaust installed too!

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
the fliud leak is one telltale that you have wheel hop ... the cover moves around a little a few thosands i guess???? ..... i didn't have whellhop when my broke ... but i was running on et streets .... so where can i get the cover and driveshaft for a good price??????

racebronco2

Established Member
i had the poly bushing in from and the delrin in the rear and almost all the up-grades ... except the dif brace :bash: ... i did find the driveshaft for 230.00 shipped

Sharkster

Established Member
Im getting ready to order a brace. Im curious how this happens? Does pressure build up inside the pumpkin or what? I didnt think there was that much pressure inside, even with it spinning? Isnt there a blow off on the diff housing?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Must have been going slowly. I dynod at 642 and 600 and have yet to break mine and I launch pretty hard.

racebronco2

Established Member
i agree that i must have weakened it over the past year with the wheel hop that i did have and about 20 launches on take off with the et streets .... the cover is shattered, the driveshaft ripped apart at the welds and the front tabs are broken

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
dougwg said:
ok... ok... ok

Even though this time it was not the caps that gave up the ghost I guess I can look into making some up

I think Postban and Blownshift have their diff's out right now and I can take some measurements

ok fine... I guess I can get off my a$$ and head over to Postbans.... so much for a weekend off :p

100_4557.JPG

100_4558.JPG

I got my Billetflow ORIGINAL IRS Brace. Who else has one?
Can I get an AMEN?!

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
damn bro that sucks! thats why i switched a built solid axle just for that kinda stupid stuff

gud2goe

Established Member
sorry for you man..but welcome to the club...with that said..

GET THE BRACE...!!!!

to answer you question.. the install is easy since you have it down(rear end..)
look at the pics above and just remove those bolts and install the brace with new bolts...the kit from billetflow comes with all the hardware and instructions ..its real easy..

gud2goe

Established Member
postban said:
been watching these things blow diff covers for 3-1/2 years. There has been a remedy since early 2004 when Doug Holloway, Mark Chipetta and Joe Lynch came up with this;

showiso.jpg

It should be on every single IRS COBRA. That is unless you want to be taking pictures like the thread starter. It does not matter what HP you have, stock cars have broken covers. Oh yeah, replacement covers went from $53 to almost $200

www.billetflow.com or 313-388-8228 to order

here

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
gud2goe said:
to answer you question.. the install is easy since you have it down(rear end..)
look at the pics above and just remove those bolts and install the brace with new bolts...the kit from billetflow comes with all the hardware and instructions ..its real easy..
What HAS to be removed to install the brace? Can this be done without dropping the rear end at all?

Users who are viewing this thread