F150 Ecobooost

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I am in the process of ordering a 2014 F150 FX4 4WD that is loaded up with the Ecoboost motor and have a couple questions. First, I reached out to Livernois Motorsports and talked to them about modifying the vehicle once it arrives from FMC and was encouraged to do the following modifications: Corsa Turbo Back Exhaust, Down Pipe, Tune, 160 TStat, Plugs and a CAI for a total of $4,315 installed and includes all miscellaneous parts, fluids, and dyno time. Obviously, this is a great set-up and should result in an additional 125HP and quite a bit of TQ as well but I have a few concerns and am in need of advice.

This truck is going to be my pride and joy. My goal is to make this vehicle reliable and quick while offering off-road capability as I hunt and fish throughout the entire year. To accomplish this I will level the truck, replace all the shocks and struts, add 35" tires and 20-22" wheels but with 450-500 HP and TQ to the wheels :rockon: I am very concerned with the stock axle shafts, wheel hop and of course, traction. Do you have a recommendation to decrease wheel hop? How about aftermarket axle shafts? Obviously, I would also like to keep as much ground clearance as possible as well.

Lastly, I asked Livernois about additional modifications to ensure safety and drive-ability and meth injection was encouraged but not much else. Does anyone have experience with mods outside of 'standard' bolt-on's such as a larger IC or .......?

Thanks in advance for your help and I apologize for the long read but wanted to include the necessary information so that you know what my goals were.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
try the dedicated F150 forums but in the general 09+ f150 sections I havent seen any complaints about axles

ive only seen a couple of trucks, which see loads of drag strip time, adding traction bars.

the issue performance wise with these things is a lack of a fuel system to keep up with everything else so they use meth...just remember if you pop it a replacement through Ford is gonna be 13-15k unless prices have come down (or a setup from a totaled truck through some place like LKQ for 3500 or so in parts)

TaraFirma

Established Member
Axels are HD from Ford. Unless you are going to the track all the time, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have a 13 King Ranch with ecoboost. You're going to love it b

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
try the dedicated F150 forums but in the general 09+ f150 sections I havent seen any complaints about axles

ive only seen a couple of trucks, which see loads of drag strip time, adding traction bars.

the issue performance wise with these things is a lack of a fuel system to keep up with everything else so they use meth...just remember if you pop it a replacement through Ford is gonna be 13-15k unless prices have come down (or a setup from a totaled truck through some place like LKQ for 3500 or so in parts)

I will most definitely be using meth on my build to ensure that I do not blow the motor and can run safe amount of boost. Additionally, I will make sure that the tune is conservative so I am not maxing out the motor. I feel like 400-450RWHP and 450-500RWTQ is plently and will be nowhere near what the max is on the stock injectors and turbos.

Axels are HD from Ford. Unless you are going to the track all the time, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I have a 13 King Ranch with ecoboost. You're going to love it b

Awesome, I didn't know that the axles were HD. Moreover, I am glad to hear that you like your KR with Ecoboost. May I ask if you are stock and what type of mileage you are seeing in combination city/highway?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
$4,300 for a tune and exhaust? Holy shit.

I have $2700 into mine and I have Full-Race's FMIC, Livernois catless downpipe, SCT tuner, and a tune from Shaun@AED.

Here's how quick mine is and this is without the intercooler.

[youtube_browser]aGu6GY33WrM[/youtube_browser]

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

I have $2700 into mine and I have Full-Race's FMIC, Livernois catless downpipe, SCT tuner, and a tune from Shaun@AED.

Very nice truck!!! It seems that the OP is going to have Livernois do the complete install, so that could be why the price is higher than yours if you did the install yourself.

nux1

Established Member

I agree that seems way high maybe it's shop cost but these aren't really hard to DIY. Also to OP have you driven the Ecoboost F-150 or just the test drive? I would hold off on mods right away. I guess some people just like speed but the truck isn't a slug by any means. I've driven an SuperCrew Lariat with 3.55 gears. Completely stock and even going back from my Mustang it doesn't feel underwhelming like pretty much every other truck I've driven. It has trouble planting power to the ground as is and if the ground isn't dry anymore than a mild launch will kick the back end out. I think the tires are partially to blame for that but needless to say it has more than enough power. I've used it for towing quite a bit too. The heaviest thing I've towed was another Supercrew Lariat F-150 (an 06). Don't know the exact weight but probably doubled the trucks weight and it still pulled just fine.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Very nice truck!!! It seems that the OP is going to have Livernois do the complete install, so that could be why the price is higher than yours if you did the install yourself.

Thanks man! Yeah, I think the OP is going to let livernois handle the install but that just seems a little high to me - in my opinion. The install of those parts are not hard though, by any means.

I agree that seems way high maybe it's shop cost but these aren't really hard to DIY. Also to OP have you driven the Ecoboost F-150 or just the test drive? I would hold off on mods right away. I guess some people just like speed but the truck isn't a slug by any means. I've driven an SuperCrew Lariat with 3.55 gears. Completely stock and even going back from my Mustang it doesn't feel underwhelming like pretty much every other truck I've driven. It has trouble planting power to the ground as is and if the ground isn't dry anymore than a mild launch will kick the back end out. I think the tires are partially to blame for that but needless to say it has more than enough power. I've used it for towing quite a bit too. The heaviest thing I've towed was another Supercrew Lariat F-150 (an 06). Don't know the exact weight but probably doubled the trucks weight and it still pulled just fine.

I need to put my truck into 4x4 in order to launch decently or just mash the gas pedal from a dead stop. The tires will screech and spin all through first gear and a little bit in second in 2wd. But I do agree with you, see how the you like the stock performance and go from there.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
Thanks man! Yeah, I think the OP is going to let livernois handle the install but that just seems a little high to me - in my opinion. The install of those parts are not hard though, by any means.

I need to put my truck into 4x4 in order to launch decently or just mash the gas pedal from a dead stop. The tires will screech and spin all through first gear and a little bit in second in 2wd. But I do agree with you, see how the you like the stock performance and go from there.

lol i've been talking back and forth with u on youtube bout your truck... i spoke to shaun... he said he hasn't released his tune yet so i can't purchase it yet lol... i am probably gonna go livernois and just do a thermostat and downpipe... if i leave the truck that way with livernois tune anyone think i will have any safety issues in terms of the motor? i dont want to do meth and and all that shit... its my girlfriends only vehicle.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
20,000 miles so far with Livernois tune/t-stat/down pipe without any issues at all.

luv2drum1

Established Member
lol i've been talking back and forth with u on youtube bout your truck... i spoke to shaun... he said he hasn't released his tune yet so i can't purchase it yet lol... i am probably gonna go livernois and just do a thermostat and downpipe... if i leave the truck that way with livernois tune anyone think i will have any safety issues in terms of the motor? i dont want to do meth and and all that shit... its my girlfriends only vehicle.

With those mods you should be fine and plenty safe. One thing though, Livernois uses their own flash device, "Mycalibrator" or something like that. Later on down the road if you decide to purchase Shaun @ AED's tune, you will end up spending more money on a new flash device (SCT X4). I would suggest purchasing the SCT device along with a custom email tune from a reputable tuner.

FYI, I purchased a tune from Shaun for my F150 Ecoboost late last year. It is a solid tune, but from what I have heard from Shaun, his new calibration has major improvements over the tune that I am running. I am looking forward to the release of the updated tune. Hell, I am thinking about taking a road trip up north to have Shaun dyno tune my truck. The guy knows his stuff, I am pretty sure it will be worth it.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
I watched my buddy absolutely destroy a turbo, the block, and tyranny on his eco. Cai, exhaust, and tune on his.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
With those mods you should be fine and plenty safe. One thing though, Livernois uses their own flash device, "Mycalibrator" or something like that. Later on down the road if you decide to purchase Shaun @ AED's tune, you will end up spending more money on a new flash device (SCT X4). I would suggest purchasing the SCT device along with a custom email tune from a reputable tuner.

FYI, I purchased a tune from Shaun for my F150 Ecoboost late last year. It is a solid tune, but from what I have heard from Shaun, his new calibration has major improvements over the tune that I am running. I am looking forward to the release of the updated tune. Hell, I am thinking about taking a road trip up north to have Shaun dyno tune my truck. The guy knows his stuff, I am pretty sure it will be worth it.

Yeah I know... I want to run a livewire ts. Its what I have in my boss... but shaun hasnt released the tune yet and dont know when hes gonna and my gf oa impatient haha.

luv2drum1

Established Member
Yeah I know... I want to run a livewire ts. Its what I have in my boss... but shaun hasnt released the tune yet and dont know when hes gonna and my gf oa impatient haha.

Copy that. If your girlfriend is impatient and you want to stick with SCT, then hit up Torrie McPhail at Unleashed Tuning. He can write a solid tune for you. This way, when Shaun releases his tune, all you have to do is pay for the tune file only. You can have the best of both worlds... lol.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
Copy that. If your girlfriend is impatient and you want to stick with SCT, then hit up Torrie McPhail at Unleashed Tuning. He can write a solid tune for you. This way, when Shaun releases his tune, all you have to do is pay for the tune file only. You can have the best of both worlds... lol.

Hmmmm... we will see what happens.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
Just curious on who you used for tuning. Any updates?
Got a ts from torrie at unleashed... couldnt go wrong... charged 600 for a livewire with custom tunes... i could have gotten a liveiwre for 500... so in reality it only cost me 100 bucks for his tune. Truck drives pretty good... had to have him make a few changes to the tune for my liking... but overall im satisfied.. at least for now.

luv2drum1

Established Member
Got a ts from torrie at unleashed... couldnt go wrong... charged 600 for a livewire with custom tunes... i could have gotten a liveiwre for 500... so in reality it only cost me 100 bucks for his tune. Truck drives pretty good... had to have him make a few changes to the tune for my liking... but overall im satisfied.. at least for now.

Copy that... Cool deal. Torrie is real good in regards to revisions and making sure that you are 100% happy with his tune.

Just an FYI... I checked in with Shaun about the release of his updated ecoboost tune and he told me he is waiting on an update from SCT for the Livelink program before he releases it. I may just drive up to his shop and have him dyno tune my truck. I could use a road trip.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
Copy that... Cool deal. Torrie is real good in regards to revisions and making sure that you are 100% happy with his tune.

Just an FYI... I checked in with Shaun about the release of his updated ecoboost tune and he told me he is waiting on an update from SCT for the Livelink program before he releases it. I may just drive up to his shop and have him dyno tune my truck. I could use a road trip.
Lol ya ill wait and see what the deal is with his new tune. Like I said I like the tune I have for now... ill wait to see what others think of his new tune before I consider paying another 250 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread