F1A 8-rib Build Thread

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
*** UPDATE ***

I've been trying to solve the fan temp sensor clearance issue this week ...and well ...problem solved. I solicited the help of my father's fabrication skills and this is what we came up with. I might have to drop the temp at which the fan kicks on because its on the opposite side of the radiator, but we'll see.

There is a U-shaped plate that is welded to the housing. This allows the sensor to be fastened with sheet-metal screws. The housing is riveted with aluminum rivets to the fan shroud. More pictures to come with it installed once everything else goes on.
IMG_2668-1.JPG

IMG_2669-1.JPG

IMG_2672-1.JPG

IMG_2673-1.JPG

I took the intake off and drilled/tapped for the race bypass vacuum source.
IMG_2648-1.JPG

IMG_2646-1.JPG

Now that the main kinks are ironed out, this weekend should see some serious assembly. :rockon:

Last edited:

EVO-lution

Established Member
hey SOS...on your downtime you should make a trip to NY to help me install my LT's. since you're good with these cars and all hahahahaha.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
hey SOS...on your downtime you should make a trip to NY to help me install my LT's. since you're good with these cars and all hahahahaha.

Is that sarcasm? :lol: I have learned a lot from all my troubles.

What made you go with the F1A setup and ditch the Twins?

Oil drainback from the low mounted twins. I couldn't get that problem really nailed down. My turbo seals blew twice within a year (less than 4k miles). :bored: Since, my CR is still high and KB's are expensive, I figured a centri was the only other option. .......go big or go home is the reason why I didn't go D1, plus everyone has a P1/D1! :beer:

Furinox

Established Member
Is there an advantage of making a new vacuum source rather than just putting a t fitting on one of the other vacuum lines? I've used a t fitting since I got my blower and it's always worked good.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Is there an advantage of making a new vacuum source rather than just putting a t fitting on one of the other vacuum lines? I've used a t fitting since I got my blower and it's always worked good.

I just wanted a good source since is tied to boost/vac (and wanted to clean up the area a little). I had T-fittings everywhere for my TT setup and it worked fine.

EVO-lution

Established Member

Oil drainback from the low mounted twins. I couldn't get that problem really nailed down. My turbo seals blew twice within a year (less than 4k miles). :bored: Since, my CR is still high and KB's are expensive, I figured a centri was the only other option. .......go big or go home is the reason why I didn't go D1, plus everyone has a P1/D1! :beer:

no i was serious...see I even put my serious face on:bored: but for real though. hahaha

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
*** TEASER ***

I can't contain myself so I have to post a quick picture ...got a lot done today; will post details later this weekend. It should be VERY close to complete by Sunday night. :banana:

Belt is on! Blower pulley is aligned to within 0.1 deg of the alternator pulley.
IMG_2689-1.JPG

Last edited:

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
just put a smaller pulley on the F1 and it wont be so close lol looking good wish i could do that

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
whats the reason for the big pulley dont you have a built motor?

Yes, but its popped a head gasket due to high boost on the TT setup (28psi spike). I'm worried about it now ...plus I don't really know how much I'll make with the pulley. I'm playing it safe and starting low. The next pulley will be the moneymaker.

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
SOS,

Very nice, I am acquiring the same setup very soon..

Where/how much was the 8 rib conversion,a nd where did you get it?

Thanks
UK

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Thank you!!

BTW, you are way underpushing that motor at 17 psi......

You should be running in low 20's!!!!!

I know. :lol1: Give me time. If you knew the heartache I've been through with this car over the last 2 years, you'd understand.

vadorsnake04

Established Member

Man you sound like me when people ask me why i got rid of my twin turbo setup to go back to kenne bell setup. Lol, plain and simple, the twin turbo's are just a maintenance hassle from hel*, and they made my car feel like it was a peice of crap!!!

Users who are viewing this thread