F1A 8-rib Build Thread

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Man you sound like me when people ask me why i got rid of my twin turbo setup to go back to kenne bell setup. Lol, plain and simple, the twin turbo's are just a maintenance hassle from hel*, and they made my car feel like it was a peice of crap!!!

:beer: +1 to the last part haha.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
*** UPDATE ***

Almost hit a major roadblock. This does not affect anyone running stock fuel rails, only those who run FORE rails. There is major clearance problem with the passenger fuel rail. In order to run an elbow off the rail, you need to beat in the crossover pipe :bash: and grind down the elbow.
IMG_2738-1.JPG

IMG_2739-1.JPG

To prevent vibrational degradation I placed a few layers of electrical tape and RTV'd in place (thin rubber would be ideal, but I did not have that on hand).
IMG_2742-1.JPG

Final configuration of left-side of headunit bracket.
IMG_2743-1.JPG

After Canton overflow tank was installed, this is the clearance with the new fan temp sensor location.
IMG_2745-1.JPG

IMG_2748-1.JPG

Another teaser shot. All that is left is the powerpipe/throttle body piping and PCV routing. :dancenana:
IMG_2751-1.JPG

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
*** UPDATE ***

Disabled the crank trigger to check for belt walk and all is well! I need to get an upper radiator hose from Procharger because they sent the wrong one; initial startup will have to wait until this weekend. :bash:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
*** UPDATE ***

Assembly is complete, minus some splicing to extend my MAF harness. I am just waiting on my base tune before I can fire it up! :rockon: Coolant is in the motor waiting for a burp. Some final pictures of the last stages are below.

Thanks once again to my father's fabrication skills, I bought a 4" pipe with a 90deg bend and he fabricated a custom elbow at the headunit. He then welded it to the smaller section of the powerpipe. We had to dimple the pipe to clear a radiator bolt.
IMG_2763-1.JPG

Coolant hose going under the headunit.
IMG_2799-1.JPG

Same coolant hose with the Procharger supplied coupler going to the upper radiator connection.
IMG_2800-1.JPG

MAF/Filter ...tight!
IMG_2775-1.JPG

Hole in body cut to make room for piping. I used vacuum hose with a single slice as a trim-guard.
IMG_2780-1.JPG

PCV connection and a HomeDepot cap for the BPV inlet. I am going to run a catch can, but I have to make a bracket. I just want to get this thing running, so for now the PCV goes straight from the valve cover to the inlet pipe.
IMG_2795-1.JPG

Final shots of the completed assembly (minus the shaker of course).
IMG_2789-1.JPG

IMG_2791-1.JPG

IMG_2790-1.JPG

Last edited:

Furinox

Established Member
that custom power pipe looks awesome. I think you may end up having some issues with your maf thouse. You don't have much straight pipe before the maf.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
that custom power pipe looks awesome. I think you may end up having some issues with your maf thouse. You don't have much straight pipe before the maf.

Isn't this the "Procharger kit?" I mean, ideally I'd love to have the MAF in the engine bay, but there is a slight hood clearance issue with the current Procharger elbow coming off the throttle body. :shrug:

Furinox

Established Member
Isn't this the "Procharger kit?" I mean, ideally I'd love to have the MAF in the engine bay, but there is a slight hood clearance issue with the current Procharger elbow coming off the throttle body. :shrug:

Not sure if that is how the prochargers are setup. My tuner told me that if I go blow through make sure there is at least 8" of straight pipe before the maf sensor because you get much better readings that way.

Most people go with one of these on the pipe in the engine bay that connects to the throttlebody elbow.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: MAF Housings

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Not sure if that is how the prochargers are setup. My tuner told me that if I go blow through make sure there is at least 8" of straight pipe before the maf sensor because you get much better readings that way.

Most people go with one of these on the pipe in the engine bay that connects to the throttlebody elbow.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: MAF Housings

I see what you mean. I know that this is the way Procharger designed their kits, so all I can do is wait and see how everything works out. If the driveability is poor, I'll have to modify some piping to make the MAF work in the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread