Fact or Fiction: Is there a future Raptor getting the GT500 engine?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I'm a tad ignorant in the HD/SD area of CAFE regulations. But what CAFE standards are the 6.4L not passing? They don't have to disclose the MPG numbers, right?

I know diesels are more regulated, no matter for car or HD use.

It's just that CAFE is like it name implies a Average of fuel economy so you take all your truck, suv's lump them together and do the ratio to find out what your average is and it best be at or above what the Feds set and Chrysler I think is like 5 miles below what the Fed mandate is!!!! Hence why no one wants them as it would be a nightmare to try and get the company to fall within it. I remember that it was about 25.5 MPG for the longest time then W Bush fingled fangled it then Obama and finally Trump turned it back to what ever it was when Bush was in office. So I'll have to look it up but what ever it is Chrysler is like 4.5- .8 below it!!! so taking that 25.5 they are like around 21.6 or there about Ford is like 27 and GM slightly less at about 26.3 again it's been a few years since I looked all of this up (2012-15) But again out of all of them Chrysler is the worse off and needs the most help but they got the least money to work with in order tofix this glaring problem hence why they was forced to pay about $90 million in fee's and penalties in 2018. $ 90 million that could of went into tooling, factory expansion or even new product and lines!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This is what happens when your fleet don't and can't pass CAFE standards and you are bleeding money as you pay the fines because of this. But everyone on here is like oh but Dodge is killing it. No they are not as Fiat for the last 2 years have been trying quietly to get another company to buy Chrysler with no success. But go ahead and Hellcat everything and so be forced to pay fines that you didn't need to. This is the main reason no one wants to take ownership.

They were gambling on Trump rolling back some CAFE standards :D

kaz109

Established Member
NA usually does make less HP.

Godzilla weighs 538 lbs. Not sure on the Ecoboost but I believe it's around 450 lbs. 88 lbs heavier for twice the displacement is not bad at all.

Engine weight source - Watch The Ford 7.3L Godzilla Dyno Pull, Engine Weight Revealed

And yes, I had a 2018.

I found this Ford graphic interesting:

View attachment 1642851

I understand why you wouldn't go back to an ecoboost, I had the same issue with two different gen GM SUVs and would never go back to GM. With that said from my point of view and experience with ecoboost I don't see the point it putting in a heavier motor ( more weight over the nose) and less hp and tq. And the ecoboost is far easier to extract more power from it.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I understand why you wouldn't go back to an ecoboost, I had the same issue with two different gen GM SUVs and would never go back to GM. With that said from my point of view and experience with ecoboost I don't see the point it putting in a heavier motor ( more weight over the nose) and less hp and tq. And the ecoboost is far easier to extract more power from it.
What heavier motor are you talking about?

The 7.3? Is it Iron Block? Even so it's OHV compared to a DOHC + two turbos + piping/cooling.

I bet you'd be surprised how close they are.

You are also talking about peak power and not power across the curve. Ecoboost sucks at towing. It has to work DAMN hard and the fuel economy crashes. They also sound like crap.

Lastly, brother inlaw sees a regular flow of F150 trades and a blown turbo is a regular occurrence. Most customers don't even know they had a problem.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member

The 7.3? Is it Iron Block? Even so it's OHV compared to a DOHC + two turbos + piping/cooling.

You are also talking about peak power and now power across the curve. Ecoboost sucks at towing. It has to world DAMN hard and fuel economy crashes. They also sound like crap.

Lastly, brother inlaw sees a regular flow of F150 trade and a blow turbo is a regular occurrence. Most customers don't even know they had a problem.

You might be right about the motor weight....I don't know which is why I asked. To your other points, I don't hold towing that high on the priority list of the raptor. Not that I don't care I am just saying for the items that I typically tow I haven't had an issue so the towing more argument doesn't sway me personally because it does just fine for a performance truck.

I have a good friend who is ford service manager at a fairly large dealer in California and he told me the same thing , regular F150s come in all the time with blown turbos but he hasn't a a single raptor with that issue. It's a very small sample size I know but that's the only personal truly informed opinion I got when looking into buying the truck.

I also was not just refereeing to peak hp, if there is a graph of the Godzilla and the ecoboost post them up. I believe ( dont know for sure) the ecoboost has a flatter tq curve. I drove a F250 7.3 before getting my raptor but I personally won't compare because of the size difference in trucks.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I feel like the only ppl that have had motor problems have been the 2017/2018 guys and it is normal for the first couple years of a new motor to have to work out the kinks.

source.gif

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It's just that CAFE is like it name implies a Average of fuel economy so you take all your truck, suv's lump them together and do the ratio to find out what your average is and it best be at or above what the Feds set and Chrysler I think is like 5 miles below what the Fed mandate is!!!! Hence why no one wants them as it would be a nightmare to try and get the company to fall within it. I remember that it was about 25.5 MPG for the longest time then W Bush fingled fangled it then Obama and finally Trump turned it back to what ever it was when Bush was in office. So I'll have to look it up but what ever it is Chrysler is like 4.5- .8 below it!!! so taking that 25.5 they are like around 21.6 or there about Ford is like 27 and GM slightly less at about 26.3 again it's been a few years since I looked all of this up (2012-15) But again out of all of them Chrysler is the worse off and needs the most help but they got the least money to work with in order tofix this glaring problem hence why they was forced to pay about $90 million in fee's and penalties in 2018. $ 90 million that could of went into tooling, factory expansion or even new product and lines!

Believe it or not, FCA merger with PSA puts them in a considerably stronger position than Ford. 9 million in combined sales (3-4 largest manufacturer). Paring the ridiculously high margins of the Ram and Jeep lines with the small car efficiencies and global footprint of PSA should make for a powerful player.

Consolidation as a means to control costs and drive scale is and will continue to happen across the automotive sector. OEM's are scrambling to find partners, or risk getting left in the dust by the competition.

ziggity

Established Member

You are also talking about peak power and now power across the curve. Ecoboost sucks at towing. It has to world DAMN hard and fuel economy crashes. They also sound like crap.

Lastly, brother inlaw sees a regular flow of F150 trade and a blow turbo is a regular occurrence. Most customers don't even know they had a problem.

What makes you say they suck at towing? Ive towed multiple times with my last 2 trucks and the low end torque is great.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member

Are you getting your facts from CNN?

The 3.5 ecoboost makes 90% of its torque from 1500 rpm to 5000 rpm, making over 400 ft lbs a majority of that curve. It will out pull any other 1/2 ton gas motor easily, not even close, while holding gears not constantly shifting.

Your second point, are you trying to say blown up turbos? The factory turbos are water cooled, oil cooled and billet wheels. You never see a blown up turbo, you see leaking coolant at the quick connects due to heat cycles, it is a very small o ring.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I love my 3.5 EB, torque is epic. Non raptor here. Lots of oomph. Does drop off a little in the upper rpm range though. No biggie. That being said I’m going to compare a 7.3 SD and the f150 when I’m buying my next truck. My wife likes the Tremor too so I got that goin for me, which is nice

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I love my 3.5 EB, torque is epic. Non raptor here. Lots of oomph. Does drop off a little in the upper rpm range though. No biggie. That being said I’m going to compare a 7.3 SD and the f150 when I’m buying my next truck. My wife likes the Tremor too so I got that goin for me, which is nice

You'll love it :)

Users who are viewing this thread