Factor Brakes

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
note: i'm not looking for a big brake kit!
(unless you know where a good deal for an 00r kit is!)
hey everyone i've been searching without much luck.
my brakes are in need of replacing, and instead of paying ford's rediculous prices (even with steve's discount) i was considering getting some nicer rotors and pads; however, i don't really want drilled -- i was looking at slotted.

so d'agostino racing has their brake packages kits that give you baer rotors, nice hawk pads, s/s lines, etc..
however, is that worth 1100 bucks?

what options have you explored when upgrading your factor brakes, withOUT doing a big brake kit?

:beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
I would never pay 1100 for the parts listed. I used plain rotors for almost 3 years now. I just recently went to ss lines but that was only cause i got a good deal on the brembos. Cooling ducts are a must, some good pads along with high temp brake fluid. Save that money for some brembos.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would never pay 1100 for the parts listed. I used plain rotors for almost 3 years now. I just recently went to ss lines but that was only cause i got a good deal on the brembos. Cooling ducts are a must, some good pads along with high temp brake fluid. Save that money for some brembos.

Ditto!! Every word!!:rockon:

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
nice thanks for the opinions..
so maybe just use the motorcraft stock spec rotors, some nice hawk pads, and s/s lines?
what fluid would you recommend?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
nice thanks for the opinions..
so maybe just use the motorcraft stock spec rotors, some nice hawk pads, and s/s lines?
what fluid would you recommend?

If the rotors are not below spec keep running what you have.
If they have some issue.. buy stock Brembos for less money.
I don't believe Motorcraft rotors are available last time I checked... just oe which are priced too high.
I bought my last pair here..
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=620

Tire rack also has them.. and I believe the Napa rotors also have Brembos inside a Napa box(check before buying).

Is this car going to see Open Track action??? If not.... WHY NOT??? ....LOL:-D

Short of changing the caliper(w/ more pistons and or larger pad sweep area) or increasing rotor diameter...... the only "brake upgrade" available is better pad material, less rotor/hat weight, adding cooling(ducts), and higher temp fluid.

Also keep in mind the best and first brake upgrade should always be a stickier tire..... after cooling ducts .... and then pads.

IMHO

Last edited:

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
unfortunately she won't see too much open track, there isn't one close to my location!
however, what pad would you recommend with an oe brembo rotor (slotted?), and brand fluid?

is there a good write up i may have missed to make cooling ducts?
are we just doing the home depot special -- getting some duct from the front bumper towards the front brakes?

thanks!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
unfortunately she won't see too much open track, there isn't one close to my location!
however, what pad would you recommend with an oe brembo rotor (slotted?), and brand fluid?

is there a good write up i may have missed to make cooling ducts?
are we just doing the home depot special -- getting some duct from the front bumper towards the front brakes?

thanks!

For the street I would run Ford brake fluid, an OE Brembo plain rotor(you can run slotted or drilled for cosmetic reasons if you want....just don't expect a braking improvement... and be prepared to pay a bunch more!)

Pad availability is very good .....all over the map... just run a street pad.

Make sure you bed in carefully whatever you end up buying!!!

>>

racebronco2

Established Member
For the street I would run Ford brake fluid, an OE Brembo plain rotor(you can run slotted or drilled for cosmetic reasons if you want....just don't expect a braking improvement... and be prepared to pay a bunch more!)

Pad availability is very good .....all over the map... just run a street pad.

Make sure you bed in carefully whatever you end up buying!!!

>>

I would agree 100% with the above. so many people bed the brakes in in-correctly and then complain that there car doesn't stop good enough. I usually bed them in, they are smoking a little. A few times i have glazed the pads:bash: and then have to sand of the glaze and do it all over again.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Can you guys explain proper bedding? I've heard its like 8-10 hard stops from about 60 to 5mph back-to-back, then drive around a bit to let them cool. I really have no idea where to find a place to do this sort of thing.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
+1 i'd like to know proper bedding.

i plan on running brembos front and rear (not drilled or slotted)
pads i haven't figured out.
i plan on flushing and running the stock cobra fluid.
oh and definitely purchasing a set of brake ducts.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
anyone know where to buy ebc yellow stuff pads for a decent price?
also, anyone have a part number for the recommended brake fluid from ford?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread