failsafe engine mode 2008 gt500...please, help

svtan1mal

Established Member
To start this conversation, here is my config: vmp gen2r+2.4 pulley, 10% od, id 1000, jlt 123 mm, jba shorty headers, stock throttle body, vmp tune.

I have read several forum threads on the same issue but my case is different.

My car has intermittently been going into failsafe engine mode. When I start it up cold, it won’t do it until I start driving and reach about 1800 rpm or raise the rpm to around this value. If I shut it down and start the warm engine again, the error appears instantly. There is another trick that works sometimes; if I drive a car on any gear above 2000 rpm, preferably 3000-4000 rpm, I can push the clutch down and shut off the engine. Then, switch the ignition to on position and release the clutch. The engine will start and have no issues. However after doing this, I need to add more throttle when taking off from zero. Otherwise, the error comes up again. Right now, this trick works very rare.
Intermittently, I get a p012b code. I have already replaced the tmap sensor - no change.
Before, guys from vmp performance told me that failsafe engine mode can be caused by the oval throttle body that I used to have (170 mm whipple). I replaced it with a stock one - no change. I checked vacuum hoses - nothing is leaking.
Yesterday, I connected the ford scanning tool and here is what my Christmas tree looks like:
P0109, P012B, P0172, P1000, P1228, P2196, P2198 :(

I have an opportunity to see my car 3-4 weeks/year since I don’t live where it is at now. This issue has been with me since the last December and I guess that I need some help now. Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Check all your connections with the JLT and maf. I know most fail safe issues with the 07-09 where tune related. But yours seems to be more than that.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thank you for the link sir. What should I look at specifically? Map, maf, throttle body, tps?

Take your time and follow the code #

Each code has pinpoint tests

This test are nice to even just read

You will see what the code is
What the pcm had to see to trigger code
Common list of things that may cause it

I like to map out multiple codes

A lot of times you find where they cross is where problem is found

Loose connections broken clips cause a lot
Pinched wires or stretched wires from pulling or bumping into while doing work

Pcm is extremely smart just take your time

A multi meter is a great tool

Codes are electrical issues with item or wires going to item
Power and grounds and signals

svtan1mal

Established Member
School me.

Where is the message
Fail safe mode?

In cluster that lights or odometer reading change?

It says “FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE” right under tachometer. There is a small informative LCD(is it?) screen that also shows if your door is open, if your tire pressure is low, etc.

svtan1mal

Established Member
Check all your connections with the JLT and maf. I know most fail safe issues with the 07-09 where tune related. But yours seems to be more than that.

Originally, I had a p012b code only which is related to map sensor. I replaced that one already as mentioned above. I will try to pinout all electrical connections today as hotcobra03 advised to see if I can find anything.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Most of the codes you posted are MAP related. Others O2 sensors. What mods and tune history does the car have in relation to your issues? Was the tune revised when you went back to a stock TB?

PM-Performance

Established Member
I dismembered half of the engine bay and the problem was...a plugged vacuum tube which connects EGR and supercharger. Hard to believe that it was so simple. Thank you guys for your help. I hope this might help someone in the future.

Glad you found it. It usually is that simple once you are able to find it. Tracking it to that simple fix is the tough part sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread