FAQ on 1995 Cobra Rs?????

SDW Racing

Established Member
I see there is a great thread documenting the 2000 Cobra Rs.....

...has anyone done the same for the 1995 Cobra R????

Trying to find more info on the engine internals.

Any help is appreciated.

John

wheelhopper

Established Member
I'd like to see this as well. I would like to know how strong the internals are. I am pushing 426hp and 495lbft at the wheels now. I am holding off on any more mods untill I know if the factory short block can take it.

My understanding is that the 5.8 in the 95R is basically the same motor Ford was puting in their trucks. So, nothing special about it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
My understanding is that the 5.8 in the 95R is basically the same motor Ford was puting in their trucks. So, nothing special about it.

My understanding is that the 95R 5.8 short block was the Marine/Industrial 5.8 as used in fork lifts etc. Certain performance items were added such as the cam that is also available through Ford racing, and then the GT-40 heads and lower intake (maybe shared with the L) and then the upper intake which is specific to the 95R.

R

SDW Racing

Established Member
I guess what I am wondering is if the crank and rods specifically are forged like in the 2000R. My concern is about reliability for OT use, is the moder up for the abuse.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I think that the 95R's motor has proven that it is up to the challenge of OT. Question really is how much HP can the bottom end hold up to. I think that 426 hp and the almost 500 tq is about the limit before things start breaking but that is my opinion (assuming those are rear wheel numbers and not flywheel).

wheelhopper

Established Member
Those are the rear wheel #'s.

I was hoping since the earlier post said it was a marine engine that maybe the stock rods and crank could handle a little more power. I guess I will have to wait to install the aluminum heads until after I decide to beef up the original short block.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
One question that I have is the pistons used in the 95R shortblock? They are known to be noisey when the engine is cold. They must be forged? If so, were these forged pistons installed by Roush? and did the original Industrial/Marine 5.8L shortblock have cast pistons? I can't believe that the normal, as purchased from Ford 5.8L Industrial/Marine engines would be noisey in the fork lifts and boats.

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Rob,

Rods are hypereutectic.

Crank and rods are normal 351W. Block is supposed to be hand selected from the marine line with truer bores after sonic testing.

Heads and lower intake are L. Upper is 5.0 with modified "0" into an "8".

Tom

wheelhopper

Established Member
Thanks for the post on the stats. That gave me some info that I was curious about and just hadn't taken the time to look up.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
tomshep said:
Rob,

Rods are hypereutectic.

Crank and rods are normal 351W. Block is supposed to be hand selected from the marine line with truer bores after sonic testing.

Heads and lower intake are L. Upper is 5.0 with modified "0" into an "8".

Tom

Tom - Are the hypereutic pistons Ford installed, or Roush installed. Do boats and forklifts "rattle" on cold start when optioned with a Ford 5.8W? I would guess that they do if the shortblock was not modfied by Roush.

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Rob,

My understanding was the shortblock arrived at Roush. All they did was bolt the top end and accessories on it and the long block went back to DAP. I would think the boats and forklifts would make noise as well if you could hear them.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
tomshep said:
Rob,

My understanding was the shortblock arrived at Roush. All they did was bolt the top end and accessories on it and the long block went back to DAP. I would think the boats and forklifts would make noise as well if you could hear them.

Tom

The other industrial/marine applications might be noisy when cold. I was not sure exactly what Roush did on these engines. I knew they had run them, by that "hot run" sheet that was available for each engine, but that was all I knew.

Thanks, Robert

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Robert M said:
My understanding is that the 95R 5.8 short block was the Marine/Industrial 5.8 as used in fork lifts etc. Certain performance items were added such as the cam that is also available through Ford racing, and then the GT-40 heads and lower intake (maybe shared with the L) and then the upper intake which is specific to the 95R.

R

Robert,

I took a tour at JASPER Engines in Indiana, and saw a bunch of NEW GT-40 lower intakes(cast iron), water pumps, timing covers, dist., etc. in a large bin. When I asked about them, they told me they can't find or get 5.8W cores, so they buy new (marine engines) from FORD, and remove the extra items that aren't sold with them, for regular production vehicles. I guess someone could get GT-40 heads with their 5.8W (remanned) from Jasper.

So, I assumed, the marine engines came with all the GT-40 stuff and a stock cam (probably Lightning cam).

asperformance

Banned
I have my 95 R motor apart right now, basicall it is a 95 Lighting block, It has factory windage try in the bottom end, I was surprised to see that, Pistons are Hyper, rodas are just stock 351 stuff, I bored it 30 over just for a little cubic inch increase. My also port my G.T 40 heads as my intake has already been ported. Upper and lower. Let me know if anyone need pics while I have it apart. Only has 14K miles on it. But car has had rough life.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Posting a picture of where the vin number is on the block would probably be helpful to the group if you have a chance.

Cobra-R

Established Member
asperformance said:
I have my 95 R motor apart right now, basicall it is a 95 Lighting block, It has factory windage try in the bottom end, I was surprised to see that, Pistons are Hyper, rodas are just stock 351 stuff, I bored it 30 over just for a little cubic inch increase. My also port my G.T 40 heads as my intake has already been ported. Upper and lower. Let me know if anyone need pics while I have it apart. Only has 14K miles on it. But car has had rough life.

I posted a question last year about the valve reliefs in the pistons. Could you take get a good picture of the top of the piston that shows these reliefs?

Thanks, Brian

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Some corrections to what you guys are posting:

Rods are not hyper, the pistons are. 15cc dish.
Cam is not high performance. It's a low rpm Torque cam made for trucks.
The motors WERE put together by Roush. There was a huge stink between Ford and Roush when the Lightnings came out with such low HP and TQ #'s. Roush did not have that issue. This was due to cam choice amongst other things.
These motors are known to be able to handle 550 at the crank with no problems but remember the pistons are sensitive to forced induction. If your A/F is off, you will pay for it.

Any other questions?

Users who are viewing this thread