Favorite Wine?

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
What's your favorite? I personally like a good white. Gotta be a Reisling. Jacob's Creek is always good. The Casillero del Diablo Cabernet sauvignon is my favorite red at this point. What do you got?

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i'm not a big fan but trying to be. wifey likes it, they are just too damn bitter for me. any recom on a sweet type of wine?

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
i'm not a big fan but trying to be. wifey likes it, they are just too damn bitter for me. any recom on a sweet type of wine?

Reisling is sweet, as Long as you get the right type. Jacob's creek and château St Michele (sp?) are both sweet.

The wife got me in to them. Usually the whites that are fruity are the sweetest, sounds gay doesn't it? Reds can be good to I you pair them with a nice steak.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'm not much of a fan, but I've tolerated a red wine that was bought at a local wine place.

Casa Larga or something like that.

bscarberry

Established Member
Best part of white wine is the free box of tampons that comes with the purchase of each case....

1999 Far Niente FTW... Nothing like a delicious cab

95573590_7182489a37.jpg

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
Best part of white wine is the free box of tampons that comes with the purchase of each case....

95573590_7182489a37.jpg

I don't know what to say to that! Cabs are nice with a nice 1 inch thick t-bone, done medium.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member

95573590_7182489a37.jpg

pricey! but well worth it.

I like Treana Cab, but a friend of mine opened a couple bottles of Joseph Phelps a while ago... soooooo good. :bowdown:

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
My wife was laid off a few months ago and just got a job offer, so I am going to buy a very expensive bottle. PA is all controlled by the state, so what is a good $100 bottle?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I like Riesling usually, but there are several reds out there that I like. I just had one at a restaurant that was awesome... Pecos Creek was the maker. I haven't been able to find it in stores since I've had it though.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
My wife was laid off a few months ago and just got a job offer, so I am going to buy a very expensive bottle. PA is all controlled by the state, so what is a good $100 bottle?

Spending more on a bottle doesn't necessarily guarantee it'll taste better. Most wine-a-holics will tell you that some of the best tasting ones are in the $30-$50 range. It really depends on what type she likes. Blow the extra $$ on a nice dinner. If there are some nice wine stores in your area, most shop managers can point you in the direction of some really good tasting wine without killing your wallet.

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
Spending more on a bottle doesn't necessarily guarantee it'll taste better. Most wine-a-holics will tell you that some of the best tasting ones are in the $30-$50y range. It really depends on what type she likes. Blow the extra $$ yon a nice dinner. If there are some nice wine stores in your area, most shop managers can point you in the direction of some reallyu good tasting wine without killing your wallet.

Good call. Gonna take her to a good good itailian place. Italians should know some options.

Nothin like a great flavored vino!!!!!

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Just enjoyed a glass of Kendall Jackson Reisling tonight. I am not a huge wine drinker, but I do enjoy a reisling every now and again.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Cabernet Sauvignon is all I drink anymore, when it comes to wine. The funny thing is at first I couldn't stand cabs, but now its all I care for.

Francis Ford Coppolla has a great cab, and a Claret Cabernet Sauvignon; both well under $30.00. Navarre Correas, of Argentina, I think, also has a great cab. There are literally tons of really good cabs for under $30.00 a bottle. The same goes for other grapes, too.

Expensive wines, i.e., anything over $50.00/bottle: if you are not a wine lover, someone who can discern all the individual flavors that are in a really good wine ... then don't spend over $50.00 a bottle. You will not be able to tell the difference, spend the money on a good dinner or some jewelry instead. I'm not saying you won't appreciate it as a put-down. I can't tell the difference between a modestly priced good wine and a really expensive wine, and I've been a wine drinker since I was 25. Some of it is training, and some of it is genetics.

The deal about only having certain wines with certain foods: just a guideline. If you like reds and hate white wines, then just drink reds.

Red wine is the best for you. More tannins, and they contain resveretrol, good for the heart and body. One glass of any red wine a day, even the cheap stuff, does most people a lot of good.

And here is one that really gets up some people's noses: many really good wines are available for less than $10.00 a bottle. At most grocery stores. They are usually made by small, unknown wineries, local, domestic and foreign.

Jim Snover

Almost forgot: the Australians are making some great wines, very reasonably priced. Yellow Tail is a terrific winery, I love their Cabernet Sauvignon.

Another place to get some great bargains on wine: Sam's Club and Costco, I kid you not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread