Feud at work! Roush P-51 Mustang vs. 02' Z06?

Jroc

Established Member
You are correct....

12.43 @ 113 mph / October 2002 MM&FF (Bone Stock Cobra)

If anyone can find that Issue and scan the page I would be greatly in dept! (I do not have it)

I'm go to have to say he is correct on that also. I have heard that they ran a 12.3 with a stock 03, but I can't find anything to back that up. Still my point was that MM&FF usually runs faster times than most.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You guys are funny getting all worked up about this. With equal launches, the Roush should beat the C5Z no problem. Vettes are easier to launch though, so it really comes down to driver and what tires they'll be running. I've gotten 1.9 60-fts on cheap ass Falken ZX512 radials before in a 3600lb (with me) mustang with roadrace suspension though so it's entirely possible that the stang can get a good launch.

so you think the roush can run 11.7 stock in an ideal run? i just dont see that. that would be nearly a full second(.8+/-) faster than mmff ran the 427r.

the full road race live axle griggs 01 svt that i road in launched a lot harder than fords stock suspension! i would think your set up could launch better and harder than fords stock set up as well.

Last edited:

Fastfords

Established Member
The 08 Vettes are LS3s, not LS2s. There's a big power difference between the LS2 C6s and the LS3 C6s, and it shows at the track and on the dyno. Just FYI. :)

Go back and read my post. My reply was to the statement that a C5Z was faster than a C6. As someone shopping for a C6Z06 I am well aware of what motors Corvettes have but thanks for pointing this out.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i will be the first to admit i am wrong if i am indeed wrong. i just dont see the p51 breaking 12 secs with stock tires on it. yes it will be faster than the 427r by .3 to .4 secs i would guess. if this is true the p51 is a very low 12 sec car.

yes with tires and a tune, the p51 would presumably run 11.5 or better sweet!:pepper: now were talking stock c6 z area!

Just imagine, tune, pulley's, exhaust, headers, RAI, Dr's.....(the usual Terminator mods) and you're in the high 10's- low 11's.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Go back and read my post. My reply was to the statement that a C5Z was faster than a C6. As someone shopping for a C6Z06 I am well aware of what motors Corvettes have but thanks for pointing this out.

That was me. I was talking about the ls2 c6's being slower than the c5z's.

jwhite

Established Member
is the p51 a built motor? i would worry about anything over 500rwhp on the stock mustang gt block and internals.

yes.

http://www.roushperformance.com/mustang_p51.shtml

p51a_mustang_1_big.jpg

The ROUSH Performance P-51A™ Mustang is easily the highest horsepower Mustang that the company has ever produced, and represents the first time that internal engine components have been upgraded by ROUSH technicians in their Livonia, Mich., facility. It was determined that the only way to give the P-51A™ moniker its due was to completely break into the 4.6L, 3V and rebuild several of the functional internal components, which include a forged steel eight-bolt crankshaft, forged aluminum pistons with increased dish to lower the compression from 9:8 to 8:6, and forged steel H-Beam connecting rods. These upgraded parts were necessary for the stock Ford engine (which comes with 300 horsepower from the factory) to be able to withstand the additional power generated from the newest iteration of the legendary ROUSHcharger™ supercharger system.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
vette for the win, i wanna see the mustang win though, but in this case its not evan j smith driving the roush, its a new owner of the vehicle with under 1000 miles driving against a guy who has a c5z(3230lbs with probably 440hp if he has an aftermarket intake and exhaust) that has had the car for longer. If the maximum potential was pulled outta each car, id say the vette would turn a 11.6@120 and the roush would pull an 11.8@119, (with drag radials on both cars) in this case the vette is the faster car, but the guy who owns the mustang may just be a better driver and outdrive the vette.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member

C6 have a LS7 & it is not slower then a C5 and the race here is a p51 Roush with a 02 C5 LS6 even if the Roush is alittle slow off the line this roush is go n to have no problem pass n this C5 & at a roll no prblem walk n the vett this Roush has a forged 500+ hp motor I highly dout that vett is putting down a extra 40hp without a tune & with just intake and exhaust.
Thats a funny little artical (you might get a face full of tail lights if you drive a cobra) ya right try the other way around.

Last edited:

Fastfords

Established Member

That's cool, i understand. Every year cars get more and more power. Can't really say C6's without including 08's which obviously have more power and I am sure would walk a C5Z. Now a C6 Z, that is a different story.

That being said, I think this would be a good race. As others here have said, I don't see the P-51 running in the 11's. If the C5Z is capable of that the Roush is in trouble. For my money, both will be in the low 12 area unless either gets a hella launch and there is a strong tailwind. I am sure everyone here would love to see a vid of this epic race......

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
C6 have a LS7 & it is not slower then a C5 and the race here is a p51 Roush with a 02 C5 LS6 even if the Roush is alittle slow off the line this roush is go n to have no problem pass n this C5 & at a roll no prblem walk n the vett this Roush has a forged 500+ hp motor I highly dout that vett is putting down a extra 40hp without a tune & with just intake and exhaust.
Thats a funny little artical (you might get a face full of tail lights if you drive a cobra) ya right try the other way around.

from out of left field.:rockon:

i believe some were saying the ls2 c6 is slower than the ls2 c5 z06. which by the way is true by a little.

i also thought the race was between a c5 z06 and a blown mustang. again i have seen plenty of evidence that a c5 z can dive into the 11's stock. and yet there is still no evidence that the blown mustang can run 11's on stock tires!

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
it looks like built internals and a stock block.

how strong is the 4.6 mustang gt block?

There actually very strong blocks, and from my understanding better than most 4.6 Modular blocks(I would assume the Teksid blocks might be stronger) that came before it. I know that Livernios is big on them and uses the factory block in most of their 3V applications. I would think that most other companies that build 3V Mods would use them also.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com...formance+Packages:+Ford:+3-Valve:+Shortblocks

With that said all Modular blocks are relatively strong.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
haha..to be 100% accurate..yes.. :rolling:

Of course... you ran 13.2@105 ... does that mean you went 13.20 ? :p

touche'!, I think it was .23, I'll have to check. Do you still have that 13.19 time showing as 13.1 in your sig?

Not to split hairs, but that stuff makes a difference on this forum. :lol:

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
touche'!, I think it was .23, I'll have to check. Do you still have that 13.19 time showing as 13.1 in your sig?

Not to split hairs, but that stuff makes a difference on this forum. :lol:

Actually if you look at my post it is there plain as day. ;-) :beer:

Jefe

Established Member
The P51 runs like a raped ape. I dont see the Z hanging all the way to 150.

Users who are viewing this thread