Finally bought a sports car!

joeclams9

Established Member
Just bought a silver 94 RX7 R2....Always loved the looks of them, and the low weight. Next up is an LS6 swap ;-) .

Hopefully it will be done by the end of the summer. I figure if I try to get it done in two months, when it takes five I won't be upset. If I plan on a year, it could take who knows how long. Wish me luck!

Joe

roadracer247

Established Member
Good luck. So you going to pull all this outta another car sitting around? What kind of tranny and rear end you going to use? Will a LS6 even fit? That is going to be a project and a half to get that engine and tranny in there to fit nice...good luck.

FattyMcTrickle

Established Member
I assume hes going to use the standard LSX T56 swap, the engine's fit just fine as do the tranny's and the rear end can handle the power. And the combo only weighs about 20lbs more then a tt rotary.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
i would keep the rotary, and install a turbo setup.... Save you alot of money and alot of time. Those cars can be nasty with a fat turbo hanging off of it.

joeclams9

Established Member
03azuremach said:
i would keep the rotary, and install a turbo setup.... Save you alot of money and alot of time. Those cars can be nasty with a fat turbo hanging off of it.

I hear what your saying azure. At the same time though, I'd always be nervous with the rotary being so finicky. And when I do this, it will be kinda unique(not gonna run into many LS1 swaps, as I dont even run into rx7's ever). On top of that, Ill have more torque and better gas mileage. As far as the engine tranny combo..its a kit they have to do it (been done before). And what I have is an LS6 thats cammed (dynoed at 410 rwhp/ 400 rwtq) in the vette it was in before this, And a basic Camaro 6 speed. I still need alot of the accessories for the engine as its only built up internally. But im still looking forward to this. Thanks for the good luck wishes guys!

Joe

joeclams9

Established Member
Thanks guys...yeah, I'll definitely keep the progress posted etc. as it happens. Its funny, I dont even go over to the rotary site much since I found one to buy. Too many guys over there hate when guys do the swap...say it takes something away from the car.. in my head I can't help but think "yeah...takes away unreliability"!

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
joeclams9 said:
I hear what your saying azure. At the same time though, I'd always be nervous with the rotary being so finicky.

Yeah, they don't live very long when you start modding them.

joeclams9 said:
And when I do this, it will be kinda unique(not gonna run into many LS1 swaps, as I dont even run into rx7's ever).
Joe

Uh... I think you're going to be surprised. ;) Check out what my buddy just bought. He lives in North Jersey.
http://www.ponycars.net/rx7.htm

It's more common than you think... pretty damn sweet too. :)

Good luck with it. You're going to love it.

Alan

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
I hate it when people pull an engine and put a chevy engine in it. unless its a chevy.

joeclams9

Established Member
Big top,

I know it is becoming a popular swap among rx7's. My point was just that I rarely see the rx7 on the road anymore. Can't wait to get this started/finished.

Thanks for all the support guys.

peace

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
joeclams9 said:
Big top,

I know it is becoming a popular swap among rx7's. My point was just that I rarely see the rx7 on the road anymore. Can't wait to get this started/finished.

Thanks for all the support guys.

peace

I know what ya mean. I thought you'd find that car to be of interest since it seems it'd be similar to what you'd want out of yours. Personally, I think they're good cars made great when you drop in an LS1.

Good luck with it bro,
Alan

XtremeAceX

Established Member
Big Top GT said:

Uh... I think you're going to be surprised. ;) Check out what my buddy just bought. He lives in North Jersey.

Alan

That RX7 is wicked, i like how it looks nice and clean, and doesnt have any retarted body parts on it :beer:

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
Big Top GT said:

Alan

Damn that thing is a sleeper! :eek:

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
SB Lightning said:
Damn that thing is a sleeper! :eek:

Yeah, it's pretty nuts. The Electron Blue is pretty sweet. Funny thing is I think he already sold it. He had someone make him an offer he couldn't pass up.

Now he's thinking of replacing it with an 02-04 ZO6 or an 02-03 BMW M5. He's been complaining about no A/C. (*sissy*)

A

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
That'll be an odd sight. Pulling up to a stoplight and hearing an RX7 gurgling like a V8.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
chunkysoup said:
I hate it when people pull an engine and put a chevy engine in it. unless its a chevy.

An LS6 in a Mazda isn't too bad.

I once saw a guy at the track with an LS1 in an old Mach 1! :uh oh: :( :nono:

It was a mutant car from hell. I thought I was gonna puke. :xpl:

He was being punished though since he could barely get into the 14's!!

Users who are viewing this thread