Finally decided to upgrade my Shaker 500...

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
After lots of research and back and forth, I ended up ordering the following:

Kenwood DDX9704S head unit
Maestro install kit w/steering wheel adapter
Reverse override harness for the head unit
JL Audio C5-650 components for the doors
JL Audio C2-600's for the rear deck
JL Audio 12W3v3 (1)
Zenclosures sealed box
JL Audio JX400
JL Audio RD500

I'll definitely report in on how it all turns out. I am really into cruising with the windows down and tunes playing during car season and have always wanted to do something like this. Just always seemed to put go fast or visual modifications first.

vortecd

Established Member
I upgraded my base stereo and it sounded awesome!
Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp
Alpine MRV-M500 amp
4 JL Audio C2-570x speakers
12" Kicker sub with ebay box
Audio control LC2i

Kept the stock head unit. I had the amp turned way down for the sub and it pounded pretty good!

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Well, everything got here and I wussed out. My gut was telling me it was a mistake. I sent everything back. I have another plan. I'll make a new post once it's complete.

vortecd

Established Member
Just do something like I did. The hardest part was running the speaker wire to the doors. I bolted the amps to a board under the rear deck. Just wish I would have done it sooner

100_2151.jpg
100_2150.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, everything got here and I wussed out. My gut was telling me it was a mistake. I sent everything back. I have another plan. I'll make a new post once it's complete.

Damn!!!!!!!! :confused:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I upgraded my base stereo and it sounded awesome!
Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp
Alpine MRV-M500 amp
4 JL Audio C2-570x speakers
12" Kicker sub with ebay box
Audio control LC2i

Kept the stock head unit. I had the amp turned way down for the sub and it pounded pretty good!

Oh man, I would totally love to put a amp & sub in my 2010. I have Sync system, NOT Shaker 500. My four small speakers are already upgraded to Memphis MClass 5x7's and they sound good. I just need some bass.

By any chance, did you do a write up on how to install the sub/amp? For the sub signal feeds, did you tap into the speakers????

How does the box fit? It looks like a pretty good fit!

Thanks

vortecd

Established Member
I did not do a write up on it. Using the Audio Control LC2i I went through the rear speakers. I ran a heavy power wire from the battery to the trunk to power the amps

The box was bought off of ebay and it fit pretty good. As you can see in the pics, I used an L bracket and used an existing bolt to hold it into place

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
OK thanks. So the sub amp would NOT accept line-level inputs then? I assume that's why you used the Audio Control LC2i, to convert the line-level to pre-amp?

I guess I would just buy an amp that would accept line-level input signals.

Thanks

vortecd

Established Member
I had the 4 channel amp that I was going to power everything and friend said it would sound better if I power the box with it's own amp so I added another. Seems the amp was around $150

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Just do something like I did. The hardest part was running the speaker wire to the doors. I bolted the amps to a board under the rear deck. Just wish I would have done it sooner

View attachment 1533649 View attachment 1533650
After everything was sent back, I started looking and remembered I had seen the Shelby/Kicker plug in play replacements for the 6x8's front/rear and the 8" woofer, a plug in play (46wx4 rms) amp with built in dsp, and a composite box, powered (200w rms), 10" sub (held in with two bolts) . I found this new, half price on Ebay through Shelby American. $699. I'm not expecting to set the world on fire, but it will be a solid improvement without adding tons of extra weight and the price was right.

Users who are viewing this thread