Finally getting the car tuned.

RSH427R

Established Member
I am going with a local tuner for my GT 500. Power Packages The guy doing the install for me is their ex-mechanic and he recommended their CAI and tune package over their CAI, tune, pulley, and plugs package.

He based his recommendation on his experience working on these cars and said the difference really wasn't worth the extra money. ($400 for about 15 rwhp)

He was going on and on about adding timing, pulling timing, blah blah blah. I am not a mechanic so none of that means a darn thing to me. I just want more power and a safe reliable tune.

My question is this; what do you people think? Is the pulley worth the HP and extra wear on the car? I am picking up the parts tomorrow but I can probably still change my order to the other package.

Thanks

Luckybob2485

Established Member
The gt500 and 03/04 cobras will gain quite a bit of power from just a tune. They run rich from the factory, so with a tune, they will lean out the air/fuel ratio, and add timing as was stated by your mechanic. Personally, i would go all out and do the pulley. Even if it is 15rwhp for $400, i still think it would be worth it. Not to mention the sound of that blower spinning faster. I say go all out, and get the whole package.

Blaine

Established Member
The gt500 and 03/04 cobras will gain quite a bit of power from just a tune. They run rich from the factory, so with a tune, they will lean out the air/fuel ratio, and add timing as was stated by your mechanic. Personally, i would go all out and do the pulley. Even if it is 15rwhp for $400, i still think it would be worth it. Not to mention the sound of that blower spinning faster. I say go all out, and get the whole package.

I'd advise not doing the pulley until you upgrade the Heat Exchanger.

revanracing_ford_gt500_heat_exchanger_03s.jpg

Otherwise you'll produce a ton of heat due to the pulley over spinning the supercharger and the CPU will pull the timing.. and you'll LOSE more HP than the pulley gave you.

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member
Otherwise you'll produce a ton of heat due to the pulley over spinning the supercharger and the CPU will pull the timing.. and you'll LOSE more HP than the pulley gave you.

Probably not a bad idea. Does the 2.6 actually "over spin" the SC causing premature failure?

Blaine

Established Member
Probably not a bad idea. Does the 2.6 actually "over spin" the SC causing premature failure?

I wouldn't think it would fail, nor have I seen/heard of one failing as of yet. Just the faster the stock supercharger spins the higher the intake temps like the rise and the CPU loves to pull timing when the temps rise.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Get the pulley over cooling mods right now, you can upgrade those parts late with no tune change. Better to have it now and tuned than go for the hassle of a retune.

Van@RevanRacing

Get the pulley over cooling mods right now, you can upgrade those parts late with no tune change. Better to have it now and tuned than go for the hassle of a retune.

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know crap, cooling mods first, then power!:nono:

Reality, go for both.

breoland

Established Member
Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know crap, cooling mods first, then power!:nono:

Reality, go for both.

He lives in indiana, how hot does it usually get there? its not going to be 100 everyday like FL.
Also if he has to go for a retune to add the pulley, the extra 400 turnes into 800

Second, cooling mods are needed 100%, but how much is he going to be beating the sack out of it where he would need it asap. is he going to be making pass after pass from light to light? is he going to be on a closed road track
or is he going to be getting on it every once in a while when he is out on a sunday cruise:shrug:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

revanracing_ford_gt500_heat_exchanger_03s.jpg

Very true, the stock blower an stock pulley cause the blower to get hot already, just adding a H/E on the stock pulley would help driving in summer weather.

Last edited:

EX1

Established Member
wtf is your "mechanic" talking about? Get the pulley and a heat exchanger. You wont be over spinning the blower. You'll gain more power than 15rwhp from the pulley too

04YellowGT

Established Member
STAY AWAY FROM BRENSPEED!!!

They dicked my GT up big time and cost me close to $1000 to fix it. He couldn't tune for shit either, I had nothing but drivability problems with his tunes.

Take it for whats it worth.

If you want a custom tune make the 3hr drive to Alternative Auto and have Lidio tune your car. I promise you it will be worth the drive and gas up there.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
sure seems like its hit or miss with Brent. I have three friends that have nothing but good things to say about his tuning. I'm on the fence though. I;ve heard your story a couple of times and it makes me wish i was bone stock.

RSH427R, I'm assuming your using Dave to do the install. Let me know how his new shop is. Heard hes doing quite well for just starting up.

BTW, you two indiana guys going to Bodigans this weekend or the mustanger show at IVY tech?

04YellowGT

Established Member
sure seems like its hit or miss with Brent. I have three friends that have nothing but good things to say about his tuning. I'm on the fence though. I;ve heard your story a couple of times and it makes me wish i was bone stock.

RSH427R, I'm assuming your using Dave to do the install. Let me know how his new shop is. Heard hes doing quite well for just starting up.

BTW, you two indiana guys going to Bodigans this weekend or the mustanger show at IVY tech?

Yea I mean from what I have heard he can tune 05+ GTs damn good but that’s about all I would trust him with. I remember back when we got the GT500 in 06' Brent wouldn't even tune the Shelbys LOL. I'm not a tuner and don't claim to be but I know how a car should be tuned and how it should drive and Brent failed at that with my 04 and it was way less modded when he was tuning my car.

Who tuned your car? I remember you were going to have Brent tune it and he said he couldn't/wouldn't. Did he change his mind or did you go else where?

I'll be at the Mustang Show at IVY Tech. I will have the Shelby with the new KR Hood on (hopefully with the EVO Stg1 Kit on too if it gets here in time), my buddy is driving my GT and another buddy is bring his custom 05.

Bodigans is the same day isn't it? If it is we will prolly swing by there after the Mustang Show.

RSH427R

Established Member
He lives in indiana, how hot does it usually get there? its not going to be 100 everyday like FL.
Also if he has to go for a retune to add the pulley, the extra 400 turnes into 800

Second, cooling mods are needed 100%, but how much is he going to be beating the sack out of it where he would need it asap. is he going to be making pass after pass from light to light? is he going to be on a closed road track
or is he going to be getting on it every once in a while when he is out on a sunday cruise:shrug:

It is usually in the low to mid 80 s here in the summer. Occasionally in the 90 s but I'm at the lake then. lol
I don't do any kind of racing but I do get on it every now and then.
Let's put it this way, I've had it since dec 07 and it has 3000 miles. lol

STAY AWAY FROM BRENSPEED!!!

They dicked my GT up big time and cost me close to $1000 to fix it. He couldn't tune for shit either, I had nothing but drivability problems with his tunes.

Take it for whats it worth.

If you want a custom tune make the 3hr drive to Alternative Auto and have Lidio tune your car. I promise you it will be worth the drive and gas up there.

This is part of the reason I have waited this long. I have found horror stories about every tuner on the internet.
I know two guys here in town that have GT 500's tuned by Brent and both are very happy. (Rodney Red White...the other one is a guy named Chris and his is blue and white)
The red one is heavily modded with the TVS etc and the other has the package I am talking about here. (Stage 1)
I have ridden in both cars and both run great.

I also received a PM from a guy on here (from Indiana) that recommended their tune over Evolution. He told me he has one from each and the Brenspeed feels much stronger and smoother.

Now you have have me second guessing my decision. :dw:

I am having Dave do the install. His shop is nice, it's right behind his house.
I am not sure why he doesn't work for Brenspeed anymore but I asked him to recommend a tuner for my car and he said go with them all the way. I heard he was "let go".
I find it interesting that he still recommended their product over all the other options out there. He said he would go with them if it was his car.
So either he left to work out of his garage or he truly believes they have a good tune. :shrug:

I am pretty active with the club so I am going to the show. I am not sure what Bodigans is??

I think I drove up to Brenspeed with you last fall...we met on the bypass and drove up as a group.

Van@RevanRacing

Tune: [email protected]

Jon Lund has tuned over 800 GT500's. There is not a combination he hasn't seen.

Although the Shelby Heat Exchanger is expensive other heat exchangers are going to maintain ambient temperature right near the spark trim table. Once you surpass that mark as determined by your tuner you'll lose power. Since it's not going to be a track car of sorts daily driver types benefit the most because of the consistent cooling of the heat exchanger fluid. 65 degrees and up. (ambient outside temperature)

The stock blower does create a lot of heat mainly due to its rotor design.

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member
wtf is your "mechanic" talking about? Get the pulley and a heat exchanger. You wont be over spinning the blower. You'll gain more power than 15rwhp from the pulley too

I don't know :shrug: He didn't say anything about over spinning. His comment was that 80-85 rwhp is what to expect from the CAI/tune. Expect another 15-20 with the pulley. In his opinion it wasn't worth the money. I never said anything to him about a H/E. That might change his opinion.

RSH427R

Established Member
Tune: [email protected]

Jon Lund has tuned over 800 GT500's. There is not a combination he hasn't seen.

Although the Shelby Heat Exchanger is expensive other heat exchangers are going to maintain ambient temperature right near the spark trim table. Once you surpass that mark as determined by your tuner you'll lose power. Since it's not going to be a track car of sorts daily driver types benefit the most because of the consistent cooling of the heat exchanger fluid. 65 degrees and up. (ambient outside temperature)

The stock blower does create a lot of heat mainly due to its rotor design.

I tried to research his offerings and came up short prior to making a decision on a tuner. I couldn't find any packages prices etc. I did check out their website but it doesn't have anything to offer. Edit: I sent them an email thanks.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
One thing I left out... the TUNE is EVERYTHING!! A bad tune can mess up everything, and there are a few horror stories of bad tunes on these forums.

The basic tune for intake and smaller pulley usually doesn't get messed up, but when you start adding aftermarket superchargers and Throttlebodies I'd highly recommend a highly recommended tuner.

Rdsnk46 does have a point about getting the pulley tuned first since he is right you will have to get another TUNE once you add the pulley later. So if you can get the Heat Exchanger at the same time as the Pulley so you'll save the $$ for a retune.

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member
One thing I left out... the TUNE is EVERYTHING!! A bad tune can mess up everything, and there are a few horror stories of bad tunes on these forums.

The basic tune for intake and smaller pulley usually doesn't get messed up, but when you start adding aftermarket superchargers and Throttlebodies I'd highly recommend a highly recommended tuner.

Rdsnk46 does have a point about getting the pulley tuned first since he is right you will have to get another TUNE once you add the pulley later. So if you can get the Heat Exchanger at the same time as the Pulley so you'll save the $$ for a retune.

Good point.
I called Lund and left a message. Hopefully they will call me back soon.
I am still going to get the parts today, either way, from Brenspeed.
Do you guys think I can run the pulley, stock H/E, Tune etc. for a month or so without any issue?
Maybe do the above pictured H/E and some bigger tanks this fall when it goes into storage.
I don't really want to spend $2500 bucks today.

Users who are viewing this thread