Finally got my chance with a ZL1

Notorious2409

NO HOPE
Established Member
ZL1's being fast is greatly exaggerated. :shrug:

2013 GT with axlebacks and tune > ZL1...for tens of thousands less.

03/04 Cobra > ZL1...for far less money.

2013 Camaro SS + Magnacharger > ZL1...for less money if you're a Camaro fan.

I mean, come on...a new ZL1 is more expensive than a NEW C6 Corvette and near new Grand Sport pricing. That's ridiculous.

I will say this and im not trying to talk any smack about the ZL1. My wife works for a chevy dealership in the accounting dept so i visit her at work sometimes for lunch. They have had the same 3 ZL1's on the showroom floor for the last 4 months. I agree they are priced a bit high but thats just my 2 cents.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Thats funny my buddy has a full bolt on 5.0 with 3.73s. I ran him against my stock 2010 GT500. Lets just say past 70 mph it wasn't even close. I figure a tune only 5.0 isn't gonna pull on a zl1 since it can't even beat a cts-v.

blackvette101

Established Member
It probably had a pulley they throw down similar numbers as 07-12 GT500's with similar mods. They are just heavy. I do think people underrate them especially on this forum. The ZL1 coupe has almost the same power to weight as a 2012 GT500 convertible and I never hear anyone say thats slow or overrated. And I highly doubt their is regularly tune only 5.0's beating ZL1's. When my GT500 was stock I was barely beating tune only 5.0's and I was only trapping 114. Most ZL1's trap in the high teens. Anything can happen on the street though doesn't mean its the norm.

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
Wait you mean after the run he didn't invite you to a parking lot and set up an impromptu auto cross to explain to you the ZL1 is superior in corners and comfort therefore the better car?

dannyf

Established Member

turd burglar

Established Member
Nice kill op. My good friend has a tune, intake and pulley zl1, it moves pretty good, and in that ashen grey with black wheels, thing looks sinister as hell. I wouldn't turn down owning one.

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
It's ok to disagree:beer:, I'd take a ZL1 over every car you mentioned tho.

And you would lose. The zl1 was supposed to be the z28 but chevy changed their mind. That car costs way too much for what it is but that's just my opinion but I'm not a camaro fan

Sick03Vert

Banned
Thats funny my buddy has a full bolt on 5.0 with 3.73s. I ran him against my stock 2010 GT500. Lets just say past 70 mph it wasn't even close. I figure a tune only 5.0 isn't gonna pull on a zl1 since it can't even beat a cts-v.

A member on here just posted two runs against a ZL1 in his axle back and tuned 5.0. Roll runs. Both times, it wasn't even close.

It's in the Road Kill section under something like "2013 GT vs all."

So there ya go.

dannyf

Established Member
Not taking anything away from the 5.0 but watching that video it looks to me like the 5.0 was on the throttle much earlier than the ZL1, hell the 5.0 was passing it before the ZL1 even hit the throttle.

There's two runs on there. In one he does jump in the other they leave even and the 5.0 rapes.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
That 5.0 runs strong for the mods, but it looks to be clearly faster than the zl1 in the video too. He consistently walks the zl1 both times so I dont see how you can make any excuses really. :shrug:

Sick03Vert

Banned
That 5.0 runs strong for the mods, but it looks to be clearly faster than the zl1 in the video too. He consistently walks the zl1 both times so I dont see how you can make any excuses really. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

It wasn't like either race was even close. If we were talking a fender or something, I would get that. But it was a blow out plain and simple.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Heat soak??? :shrug:
I have seen an avg of stock ZL1's in the mid 110's so makes sense the modded 5.0 pulling or being a run for it.

Klay

Established Member
Heat soak??? :shrug:
I have seen an avg of stock ZL1's in the mid 110's so makes sense the modded 5.0 pulling or being a run for it.

This is probably the case. It seems when everything is perfect condition wise, the zl1 runs as it should and would beat the 5.0 pretty handily. However, heatsoak seems to bean even greater problem for the zl1 than either the cobra or gt500. Hence why it can beat easily by cars that should be slower normally.

Sick03Vert

Banned
This is probably the case. It seems when everything is perfect condition wise, the zl1 runs as it should and would beat the 5.0 pretty handily. However, heatsoak seems to bean even greater problem for the zl1 than either the cobra or gt500. Hence why it can beat easily by cars that should be slower normally.

:rolleyes:

Despite this being exactly what I was talking about earlier...how there's always an excuse...I will make a genuine attempt to keep this civil.

Just so I understand what you're saying, your opinion is the ZL1 suffers more heat soak than an 03 Cobra running a "Heaton" blower?

Also, the video shows two runs. So how was there heat soak on the first, though there shouldn't have been even on the second?

So for $60k, I get a car I can drive when it's dry out, blue skies, approximately 60-70 degrees, downhill, with a tail wind, and possibly...just maybe...beat a $30k GT? And that is a good deal to you?

I'm just asking..I want to make sure I heard that right.

:pop:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
:rolleyes:

Despite this being exactly what I was talking about earlier...how there's always an excuse...I will make a genuine attempt to keep this civil.

Just so I understand what you're saying, your opinion is the ZL1 suffers more heat soak than an 03 Cobra running a "Heaton" blower?

Also, the video shows two runs. So how was there heat soak on the first, though there shouldn't have been even on the second?

So for $60k, I get a car I can drive when it's dry out, blue skies, approximately 60-70 degrees, downhill, with a tail wind, and possibly...just maybe...beat a $30k GT? And that is a good deal to you?

I'm just asking..I want to make sure I heard that right.

:pop:
IDK, I have heard the ZL1 to be worse as well. Not making excuses for it but read stories about it. We don't know how much that ZL1 was driven, I can drive normal for an hour or so on my Cobra, go WOT and feel it lagging compared to if I was doing it fresh.

That GT as well was running very strong I mean it kept up very good to the full exhaust Boss, and I have seen many vids of stock Boss killing a stock 5.0 GT.

I agree its overpriced as well but a lot of times dont mean much, look at the 120k+ R8 V8, a high 12 sec car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread