Finally got my chance with a ZL1

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Zl1 is a fast car with a mean looking exterior, just didn't live up to the hype. Friend of mine has one and is afraid to upgrade much since he doesn't want to pop his motor. When we raced it wasn't pretty, I'm surprised there isn't more of aftermarket parts for those cars.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Zl1 is a fast car with a mean looking exterior, just didn't live up to the hype. Friend of mine has one and is afraid to upgrade much since he doesn't want to pop his motor. When we raced it wasn't pretty, I'm surprised there isn't more of aftermarket parts for those cars.

You're joking... Right?

It's a LS motor with a huge aftermarket. Yeah, they might not be able to handle 900hp stock, but I've seen several making 7xx safely on a stock bottom end. The motors are strong enough to build and get the job done. Plus the auto option makes them great at the track.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Bet a stock auto would show you it's taillights at a track with equal drivers. ;-)
So can a stock SS and a 1LE. I do agree it is overpriced, I mean look at the price difference from a 1LE and ZL1, aren't they similar besides the engine/tranny? Price difference is about 20K or so. For 10K more (which really is less if you add some options to make it similar) I would rather take the CTS-V over a ZL1.

I don't think the ZL1 is a bad car, far from it, I just don't think its priced right. Same can be said about a new GT and an SS, really don't see why the SS is more off the lot.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Bet a stock auto would show you it's taillights at a track with equal drivers. ;-)

Challenge accepted, though the track part isn't likely.

Shouldn't be hard, as they are ALL OVER THE PLACE around here. Had one, or so I thought, the other day on the freeway. Flew by me at like 100+..but once I caught up to him, he didn't want to play. :-D

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
So can a stock SS and a 1LE. I do agree it is overpriced, I mean look at the price difference from a 1LE and ZL1, aren't they similar besides the engine/tranny? Price difference is about 20K or so. For 10K more (which really is less if you add some options to make it similar) I would rather take the CTS-V over a ZL1.

I don't think the ZL1 is a bad car, far from it, I just don't think its priced right. Same can be said about a new GT and an SS, really don't see why the SS is more off the lot.

I'm assuming you are talking road course, as the 1/4 mile would go to the Cobra easily. :-D

I don't like talking too much about the ZL1. People either love it or hate it. Those that love it see it as the second coming. Those that hate it see it as far overpriced.

I am definitely in the latter category, though there's a LOT more I hate about that car..but I think I've covered that topic before.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Challenge accepted, though the track part isn't likely.

Shouldn't be hard, as they are ALL OVER THE PLACE around here. Had one, or so I thought, the other day on the freeway. Flew by me at like 100+..but once I caught up to him, he didn't want to play. :-D
Im pretty sure he mean't a track as in road track course and not a straightaway/quarter mile. In that case, I believe a stock auto SS will show us taillights

I'm assuming you are talking road course, as the 1/4 mile would go to the Cobra easily. :-D
Im sure everyone knows this as well as Camaro owners, stock for stock will go for the Cobra in a straight.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Im pretty sure he mean't a track as in road track course and not a straightaway/quarter mile. In that case, I believe a stock auto SS will show us taillights

AH....twisties. FTL. :nonono:

I don't run road courses...if I did, I'd take an M3. :thumbsup:

I used to own a 2012 Camaro SS L99 (Auto). It was a pig and I really don't see that thing carving corners.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
AH....twisties. FTL. :nonono:

I don't run road courses...if I did, I'd take an M3. :thumbsup:

I used to own a 2012 Camaro SS L99 (Auto). It was a pig and I really don't see that thing carving corners.
Feel is one thing, putting numbers is a different thing. I felt the same way with a 5.0 when I drove it, my 335i felt like the better car. But we all know how fast and great the handling is on it despite the feel.

The ZL1 will also pull the M3 and I believe the 1LE will as well. But thats comparing two whole different types of cars.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Feel is one thing, putting numbers is a different thing. I felt the same way with a 5.0 when I drove it, my 335i felt like the better car. But we all know how fast and great the handling is on it despite the feel.

The ZL1 will also pull the M3 and I believe the 1LE will as well. But thats comparing two whole different types of cars.

It better pull a 1LE for the price gap. I like the M3 because it has the capability to easily double as daily driver/track monster.

Though, since you are talking $60k for a ZL1, I'd spend $55k on a used 2009 GT-R...and I think we ALL know how that ends, on a road course or the 1/4 mile. :rockon:

SinisterLS2

Established Member
EPICWIN_zps6b2ad33b.jpg

SinisterLS2

Established Member
The ZL1 is a joke. I hate that car. I can't look at them anymore. Too many tools running around in them stating they have 580whp. Umm, no. More like 500. It is WAY over rated and I'm surprised they (GM) hasn't been sued for it. 12.5 quarter in the auto stick is absolute garbage (Hennesey Tested). Almost 600....supposed...hp and 12.5. The cobra does BETTER than that with what? 370whp and a ten year old suspension? Lets market a car in 2012, call it the top of the food chain Camaro, and replace it in 2014 by one that is MORE expensive, has MORE hp, and a new body style. Yeah, that makes about as much sense as manufacturing condoms with holes punched in them.

There are people actually arguing. ARGUING. Every GM site has it. "Should I buy a 2014 ZL1 or a Z51 Stingray?" If you are asking yourself that, you might want to pull your pants forward and see if you have anything hanging. If you don't, go buy you a 2014 ZL1 for almost $70,000 due to new body style markup.

The stingray IN A Z51 is less than that. Have I been under a rock or something? When did Camaros get more expensive than vettes? Oh, I see performance, the vette is spanking it. Ok. Some things never change. The ZL1. Joke. Why? Over priced. Internals not forged. The LSA supercharger has higher IATs than my MP112 Maggie for crying out loud! Heat soak. Black paint peels like oranges. Should I keep going? 10 year old cars (cobras) are STILL bending the ZL1 over. Try again, GM. Maybe you will get it with the Z28. I won't buy one. Don't care if it's five dollars, because I would feel like I got ripped off of $4.95. Before you flame me, I can talk because I owned a 2011 2SS/RS. One of the best cars I've owned, but also one of the worst. ZL1s are getting beat by 5.0s with just exhaust work. Sad. Sad. I would drive a grand sport before a ZL1. I would drive a 370Z before a ZL1. I would drive a Honda Hatch with a fart can the size of my d*** before a ZL1. Never again GM. Never again will you get my money for a Camaro unless it has a LS1 in it.

Sick03Vert

Banned
The ZL1 is a joke. I hate that car. I can't look at them anymore. Too many tools running around in them stating they have 580whp. Umm, no. More like 500. It is WAY over rated and I'm surprised they (GM) hasn't been sued for it. 12.5 quarter in the auto stick is absolute garbage (Hennesey Tested). Almost 600....supposed...hp and 12.5. The cobra does BETTER than that with what? 370whp and a ten year old suspension? Lets market a car in 2012, call it the top of the food chain Camaro, and replace it in 2014 by one that is MORE expensive, has MORE hp, and a new body style. Yeah, that makes about as much sense as manufacturing condoms with holes punched in them.

There are people actually arguing. ARGUING. Every GM site has it. "Should I buy a 2014 ZL1 or a Z51 Stingray?" If you are asking yourself that, you might want to pull your pants forward and see if you have anything hanging. If you don't, go buy you a 2014 ZL1 for almost $70,000 due to new body style markup.

The stingray IN A Z51 is less than that. Have I been under a rock or something? When did Camaros get more expensive than vettes? Oh, I see performance, the vette is spanking it. Ok. Some things never change. The ZL1. Joke. Why? Over priced. Internals not forged. The LSA supercharger has higher IATs than my MP112 Maggie for crying out loud! Heat soak. Black paint peels like oranges. Should I keep going? 10 year old cars (cobras) are STILL bending the ZL1 over. Try again, GM. Maybe you will get it with the Z28. I won't buy one. Don't care if it's five dollars, because I would feel like I got ripped off of $4.95. Before you flame me, I can talk because I owned a 2011 2SS/RS. One of the best cars I've owned, but also one of the worst. ZL1s are getting beat by 5.0s with just exhaust work. Sad. Sad. I would drive a grand sport before a ZL1. I would drive a 370Z before a ZL1. I would drive a Honda Hatch with a fart can the size of my d*** before a ZL1. Never again GM. Never again will you get my money for a Camaro unless it has a LS1 in it.

g007_citizen_kane_slow_clap.gif

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Wow sinister tell us how you really feel haha. You made some good points. Although I like the way the ZL1 looks, im not fond of the performance side on the dragstrip. Like any vehicle though it can be made faster. To bad Al O. Hyped it up more than he should have. Im sure he's happy he didnt put the Z28 badge on that ZL1.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Damn that's a lot of hate. Funny though:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread