Finally got my chance with a ZL1

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
I think one glaring omission on GMs part with the ZL1 is the fact that it doesnt come forged from the factory. I mean wtf? For the money you would expect it to be stronger. You cant do much past a tune, pulley and the normal boltons without blowing it up. Blower upgrade on the stock motor? Forget it.

The top end mustang has been forged from the factory since the 03 cobra and even now the boss 302 comes forged from the factory for 20k less than a ZL1.......

That, in my opinion, was one of the biggest mistakes GM made with the ZL1.

Not sure about the info on the LSA strength. We have multiple Vs running over 600 rwhp and up to 810rwhp on a twin turbo LSA with the stock bottom end.

You do need to upgrade the injectors as the OEs are close to maxed but that is an easy fix. Some owners try to pulley/tune with them and that can be a problem.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Zl1 is a fast car with a mean looking exterior, just didn't live up to the hype. Friend of mine has one and is afraid to upgrade much since he doesn't want to pop his motor. When we raced it wasn't pretty, I'm surprised there isn't more of aftermarket parts for those cars.

Tell you friend to stop being a wuss on the modding. My buddies ZL1 is making 701rwhp on the stock bottom end with zero issues.

Injectors and a good tune are key.

Notorious2409

NO HOPE
Established Member
The ZL1 is a joke. I hate that car. I can't look at them anymore. Too many tools running around in them stating they have 580whp. Umm, no. More like 500. It is WAY over rated and I'm surprised they (GM) hasn't been sued for it. 12.5 quarter in the auto stick is absolute garbage (Hennesey Tested). Almost 600....supposed...hp and 12.5. The cobra does BETTER than that with what? 370whp and a ten year old suspension? Lets market a car in 2012, call it the top of the food chain Camaro, and replace it in 2014 by one that is MORE expensive, has MORE hp, and a new body style. Yeah, that makes about as much sense as manufacturing condoms with holes punched in them.

There are people actually arguing. ARGUING. Every GM site has it. "Should I buy a 2014 ZL1 or a Z51 Stingray?" If you are asking yourself that, you might want to pull your pants forward and see if you have anything hanging. If you don't, go buy you a 2014 ZL1 for almost $70,000 due to new body style markup.

The stingray IN A Z51 is less than that. Have I been under a rock or something? When did Camaros get more expensive than vettes? Oh, I see performance, the vette is spanking it. Ok. Some things never change. The ZL1. Joke. Why? Over priced. Internals not forged. The LSA supercharger has higher IATs than my MP112 Maggie for crying out loud! Heat soak. Black paint peels like oranges. Should I keep going? 10 year old cars (cobras) are STILL bending the ZL1 over. Try again, GM. Maybe you will get it with the Z28. I won't buy one. Don't care if it's five dollars, because I would feel like I got ripped off of $4.95. Before you flame me, I can talk because I owned a 2011 2SS/RS. One of the best cars I've owned, but also one of the worst. ZL1s are getting beat by 5.0s with just exhaust work. Sad. Sad. I would drive a grand sport before a ZL1. I would drive a 370Z before a ZL1. I would drive a Honda Hatch with a fart can the size of my d*** before a ZL1. Never again GM. Never again will you get my money for a Camaro unless it has a LS1 in it.

This is the greatest post in the history of this website :rockon:

VA03MGvertbuild

I have a stock convertible cobra as in stock blower pulley etc. I have all the parts at the house to make it a true stock car with 100k miles sans the clutch =/ I also have found this thread to be highly amusing. It all comes down to no matter what side your on people love their cars so they want to have the fastest car on the block then they let pride drop in and what was fun is now a bunch of BS. I am lucky that on my street the only car I know would run me possibly is a 2012 Gt500 at the end of the road the guy used to have an 04 cobra 5k mile car. If you guys wanna help me find a ZL1 I'll run it and at that point its a drivers race because I don't do straight lines

SinisterLS2

Established Member
Don't agree with me I hate u Chevy lover I don't like your kind lol jk jk :beer:

I'm with you on it. Guy is a freggin fanboy. The ZL1 fails. Period. Stock terminators posted low to mid 12s regularly (see below) when they were released. Also, a point, Ford did not release TIMES for the Cobra either. They let the consumer figure it out as well as magazines. When Chevy made this....ZL1...they stated it is capable of 12 flat. Yeah? So is your Cobalt SS. Your freggin Tahoes are "capable" of 12 flat. What kind of statement is that? "Capable." Alot of things are "capable." Are you...GM...capable of explaining why the ZL1 costs more than a grand sport and a new CTS-V that has MORE power from the same setup? NO! You're not "capable" of doing that. What you should be doing is focusing on a camaro that is "capable" of beating the new GT500. (Ouch)

Why is it a fail, because GM advertised it as a win. Against what? There is nothing in its class. The one thing that was, now, is the GT500 and it rapes it. Price. Quarter. Quality. Resale. P*ssy pulling power. Color selections. Options. Standard options. Yet, every magazine always picks the "ZL1 and we don't know why. Just feels better." I bet some of that bail out money burning a hole in their pocket feels EVEN better. You can't even go to a dealership because they have NO BASE C6 (Z51 OR NOT) CORVETTES, and they always say, "Well, this is a corvette with back seats. We could put you in this!" Bastards. When I first drove an SS, the sales guy said "This will run circles around a Corvette." I sternly, STERNLY told him lets get that crap straight.

ZL1. It's like a bottle of expensive bourbon. You know, the kind with the bubble in the middle that makes it LOOK like you are getting a full bottle. At first you get excited, and dive off into it. Then you're pissed because it didn't even get you buzzed.

GTFO ZL1 fanboys. Even I, a hardcore GM guy, see the epic fail of the ZL1. If you like the ZL1, why wouldn't you go Z28? It's faster, sure, more expensive, but you gotta mod your ZL1 to keep up with those GT500s anyway, so who cares? Just order the Z28! Even camaro guys have no excuse! Get that crap out of here!

Last edited:

SinisterLS2

Established Member
Stopped reading there, your trolling has been confirmed:beer:

Believe what you want. Motortrend got a 13 on their first pass....in a convertible. These are the same people who managed only a 15.6 in a Caliber SRT. First week I had mine, I put up a 14.9. Most places tested the convertible cobra. Don't know why, but that is where the 12.9s to 13.2s come from. It was not uncommon to see places claiming 12.4s in the coupe. Whether that is with "stock" tires, I don't know. 12.6s and 12.7s are all over drag times in coupes though. Reading. It's fundamental.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way, and here is a whole room of proof. There's even video to support it. YOUR trolling status has now been confirmed. :bash: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/249082-03-04-cobra-vs-2011-5-0-a.html

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I can attest, he's not trolling. He GENUINELY hates that car, and is speaking his opinion. Which goes double for me and, apparently, plenty of other people here too. :shrug:

Oh, it's clear he hates the car, nothing wrong with that.

Believe what you want. Motortrend got a 13 on their first pass....in a convertible. These are the same people who managed only a 15.6 in a Caliber SRT. First week I had mine, I put up a 14.9. Most places tested the convertible cobra. Don't know why, but that is where the 12.9s to 13.2s come from. It was not uncommon to see places claiming 12.4s in the coupe. Whether that is with "stock" tires, I don't know. 12.6s and 12.7s are all over drag times in coupes though. Reading. It's fundamental.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way, and here is a whole room of proof. There's even video to support it. YOUR trolling status has now been confirmed. :bash: 03/04 cobra vs 2011+ 5.0

12.6 is NOT low 12s, Even Smith ran the fastest published time which was 12.4 i think and thats mid 12s. Point? Stock 03-04 Cobras DO NOT RUN LOW 12s, coupe nor vert.

SinisterLS2

Established Member
Stock terminators posted low to mid 12s regularly (see below) when they were released.

12.6 is NOT low 12s, Even Smith ran the fastest published time which was 12.4 i think and thats mid 12s. Point? Stock 03-04 Cobras DO NOT RUN LOW 12s, coupe nor vert.

Then that is your opinion. Anything under a .5 is low (X value) in a quarter in my book. Mid is .5 to .7 to me. If you are really going to argue with me over .1 second, I am telling you now you are wasting your time and making yourself look very stupid.

Fact is you tried to whup it out, you couldn't get the zipper down, and now everyone is looking at you wondering why you are cupping your own balls. GTFO. The ZL1 is fail. I've provided hard core proof here. You have done nothing but throw accusations and put words in others' mouths...kind of like.....Obama......:beer:

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

Established Member
Fact is you tried to whup it out, you couldn't get the zipper down, and now you are in a corner. GTFO. The ZL1 is fail. I've provided hard core proof here. You have done nothing but throw accusations. Kind of like.....Obama......:beer:

:lol1: Thanks for the laugh:beer: I'll let this end here.

LOW=.1-.3
Mid=.4-.6
High=.7-.9

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Oh, it's clear he hates the car, nothing wrong with that.

2003 Cobra

0-60: 4.4
1/4: 12.2

Source: ZeroTo60Times.com.

12.2 = Low 12's to me. :shrug:

Assuming that website is wrong (they claim to have the most up to date official times but :shrug:), why are we splitting hairs over .2 seconds?

So Evan Smith ran a 12.4. Are you suggesting there's not another person on the planet that can knock .2 off that time?

2KBlackGT

Established Member
tumblr_lz9bu35fTe1qinilbo1_250.gif

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
^^^LOL

I dunno, I consider below .5 to be lower 12s, 11s, whatever and .5 to be mid and .6 to be higher........Not that it really matters that much, rofl

Users who are viewing this thread