Finally made it to the Drag Strip...

Titan 5.0

Established Member
After getting new tires, MM IRS bushings, and the PPRV delete it was finally time to take the car to the drag strip...

Its been awhile since I've ran down the 1/4 mile. First run was bad, missed 3rd and had a bad launch. 2nd run was much better with a 12.5s pass... The third pass was better again until I broke the drivers side axle... lol Pissed!!!

I know the axles are a wink link but didn't expect to brake them that fast. The wheel hop didn't help. Can't seem to solve that problem, even after replacing most of the bushings with the MM kits.

Made the runs after a 2 hour drive with a fully loaded car... I figured I can break into the 11s with some practice and some minor adjustments.

Upgrading to the DSS Level 5s now, bad thing is that there are none on the shelf and have to be made, 3 weeks out...

Shout out goes to PSI Motorsports in Houston for some great customer service late on a Friday night!

Cant wait to get out there again...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the car starts to hop you need to get out of it. I'm sure even the DAS shafts will break if you try to drive through hop. I honestly believe there's no 100% way to get rid of hop. I have every FTBR bushing in my rear end and it'll still hop occasionally. I know a lot of it has to do with which tire is used and the road surface.

Titan 5.0

Established Member
If the car starts to hop you need to get out of it. I'm sure even the DAS shafts will break if you try to drive through hop. I honestly believe there's no 100% way to get rid of hop. I have every FTBR bushing in my rear end and it'll still hop occasionally. I know a lot of it has to do with which tire is used and the road surface.

Yah for sure, I wont be doing burnouts at all next time if there's the slightest hop... I agree wheel hop can break any half shaft no matter how strong. Sucks...

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Ever since I bought mine I haven't had any wheel hop.

Same here. Car just squats and goes.

OP ditch the Toyo's and pick up some mickeys. I don't get any wheel hop on the street either. I'm running Hoosier drag radials right now and I feel that the mickeys I had before this set hooked better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Bias plies will solve the wheel hop and save your half shafts. It's the best mod for money that I've done to this car.

For drag racing, Everything else aside from the sra swap is a waste when it comes to wheel hop. The bias plies are a sure fix. (100 percent stock suspension here and running a 28x10x17 slick).

Last edited:

Titan 5.0

Established Member
Sounds like after this is all fixed all have to get some rims and bias plies... won't be tomorrow after this bill comes through lol

65fastback289

Established Member
the r888's are a great tire for the street and road course. horrible at the strip. not having any sidewall that will absorb the hop destroyed your halfshaft.
as others have said, get a bias ply. hoosier qtp's are amazing btw.
also, level 5 shafts still have reports of failures. i would see if you can get them switched out for the pro-level shafts.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The thing is about bias-ply tires though, IMO, is that you can't really drive them like a normal tire on the street and highway. (Or, at least you shouldn't, if you have radial tires up front.) But you can with aired-up drag radials, and the op says he has to drive 2 hours to the strip.

I think that as long as your IRS is beefed up a bit, and you make sure to let out at the first sign of wheelhop, drag radials are a better compromise.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
DRs are half shaft killers.
I used to launch on a ported Eaton with a 100 shot running 10.4s at 135 1.49 60' and never broke a half shaft.

Titan 5.0

Established Member
The time slip for the run before I broke $hit...

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 160

jtkz13

Established Member
I dont get ANY hop in my car, with drag radials or 16" slicks. Mines not any exotic either. Subframe connectors, IRS brace, and lowering springs are the only suspension mods.

Its a vert though, maybe that makes a difference?

[youtube_browser]95MvHgnajNI[/youtube_browser]

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I dont get ANY hop in my car, with drag radials or 16" slicks. Mines not any exotic either. Subframe connectors, IRS brace, and lowering springs are the only suspension mods.

Nice run! What happened at the end?
BTW, Black Verts Matter"!!!

bssmith1220

Established Member

What drag radials do you run?

jtkz13

Established Member
Nice run! What happened at the end?
BTW, Black Verts Matter"!!!

Got greedy and missed 4th trying to "no lift shift". Probably was a 10.9 in it that pass since it was my best 60' of the day.

My track tires are ET Street's 26x11.5x16 and on the street I run ET Street SS drag radials in 305/35/18. It hooks really good on the street in anything above 70*, and I can go WOT after rolling just a few feet. Only time it ever spins is if the tires/pavement is cold or dusty. I dont think its ever hopped at all, and I drive it like its meant to be. :)

ctgreddy

Established Member
sra swap and never worry about half shafts again, run whatever tire you want with no fear. :D.

really tho get a slick for it and practice practice practice. My car when I made a little more power (501/501) I got to a best of 11.2 and my shifting leaves a lot to be desired. That was your normal ported blower setup, stock front suspension, sra, 16" hoosier slicks and stock front wheels/tires.

Users who are viewing this thread