Finished up my Home ported cobra

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
I finally got my car back together and got it to my local shop to get it tuned. I ported the blower stock plenum and throttle body. I installed 60# injectors, 40 amp BAP with wiring upgrade, and a MAFia. the car has a 2.76 billet flow with all the idlers and stock lower and a gates green back fleet runner belt.

I didn't take too many pics when I was porting but This what I have

Cut the bottom on a Knee mill at work

The throttle body after sanding flap wheel on die grinder. I finished it with 500 grit sand paper by hand

Plenum after I was done cutting and showing the hole I put in it LOL. I had my friend weld it back up

In the middle of cutting inlet of blower

further along in blower when I was sanding

this is the only pic I took of the lead ins, this was when I was still cutting them

The inlet on blower after I sanded it.

Here is a vid I took, I forgot to take a shot of screen after pull but on this pull car made 507hp and 470trq on 19* of timing. boost was 13.5-14 and car had 93 pump.
[youtube_browser]j2sK2W-9_yc[/youtube_browser]

All said and done I'm happy with it. i was hearing some horror stories about people porting their own blower and i was worried as hell when he was doing first power pull. My goal was to make 500 to wheels on a safe tune so I'm happy.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Thanks it was fun project and cool to say I ported my own blower.

As far as horror stories I heard a bunch of people saying if you don't know what your doing its really easy to mess the blower up. And they said people have lost power after trying to port.

I wish I had some baseline numbers but this project started after I put the pulley on with a Bama tune and I data logged and my pumps and maf were maxed out. So I needed to re tune car and a bap and mafia at least, so I figured why not port blower too. I took car to track though.
Stock pulley 12.5@116
2.76 pulley 12.0@117
Everything was same besides pulley and tune between runs but we're about a yr apart but same time of yr so weather was somewhat similar.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I just did my home port to. I won't know any numbers because I'm doing a eaton swap on my car and still need a few small parts to finish my swap.
cb3b97e603dac82cb39069e5e3cab7b7_zps312b460e.jpg

8cf33b1ec0c927940b8d261295e2a6c3_zps5fbbb357.jpg

bc13d18637ecf7756e4c7044c66e19f7_zps570c4d0d.jpg

9efdc9ae788b92657fbec0caf448bc9f_zps92591622.jpg

I just hope I get some performance gains and didn't mess up the port.

heffs03mach1

COME WITH IT YA SALLY'S
Established Member
Your trq is way low. Trq should be up in the 520-550 for 500 hp. Might be the guy who tuned it not knowing how to properly bring in the trq.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
I made 507hp and 470trq. On 19* of timing.

And dsgmach the pics look great. Did you do any lead ins for the rotors? I'm sure it will make power I think you did a better job than me lol.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I made 507hp and 470trq. On 19* of timing.

And dsgmach the pics look great. Did you do any lead ins for the rotors? I'm sure it will make power I think you did a better job than me lol.

Lol I don't know about yours looks great. If you mean lead ins for the rotors the inlet of the blower where it goes to the rotors then yes I did. And I think your tq might be because you on the stock lower and that's what I will be running for now and the same upper pulley to and I would be happy to get the same numbers that you got.

Last edited:

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Yea I'm pretty sure that's why my trq was low. I think I will be adding a 2lb lower sometime soon and hopefully that brings the trq back up.

Svt_kid90

Established Member
Thanks it was fun project and cool to say I ported my own blower.

As far as horror stories I heard a bunch of people saying if you don't know what your doing its really easy to mess the blower up. And they said people have lost power after trying to port.

I wish I had some baseline numbers but this project started after I put the pulley on with a Bama tune and I data logged and my pumps and maf were maxed out. So I needed to re tune car and a bap and mafia at least, so I figured why not port blower too. I took car to track though.
Stock pulley 12.5@116
2.76 pulley 12.0@117
Everything was same besides pulley and tune between runs but we're about a yr apart but same time of yr so weather was somewhat similar.

I see, well messing up the blower is not as bad as F**** up the engine.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I have heard that not many pick up much torque with a port. People always told me to go with a port if you want hp and go with a lower pulley for tq.
:shrug:
Your trq is way low. Trq should be up in the 520-550 for 500 hp. Might be the guy who tuned it not knowing how to properly bring in the trq.

stangfreak

Established Member
when you port the eaton, you need to get a lower pulley. The blower becomes way more efficient that's why. You need to spin it back up again. with a lower pulley and a ported eaton, you should see 540-550rwtq on average with decent boost.

That was good work op, very nice job. Throw a 2lb lower on it.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Thanks guys!! I was really happy to see the car make over 500 I had a huge lump in my throat when he was getting ready to do first power pull lol.

And tuner said same thing to me about getting a 2lb lower. I'm also running a catless x-pipe which isn't helping with the torque either.

As for tuner if any of you guys are in North east area near Delaware, Matt at Performance Evolution has been awesome so far!!! Very helpful and spends time with you, and his shop is clean as a whistle.

As far as getting a lower, don't beat beat me up too bad I still need to do all the cooling mods. Car still has stock thermostat, heat exchanger and intercooler overflow. I will be getting these before a lower goes on.

I'm probably gonna need some tires too:cool:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

Without a 4lb lower he is bout right with everyone else

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Those scribe marks in the 5th picture, wowzers :uh oh:

Lol I know I didn't have my gasket kit and I wanted a rough line to give me some guides for a port match so I didn't go over and I was in the zone and all I had around me at bench was some cardboard and my pocket knife and a scribe so needless to say the cardboard gasket cutout wasn't to straight hahaha. I ended up wiping that off and redoing the dykem and re scribing after I got my gasket kit.

Side not if anybody else pulls their blower I highly highly recommend you change ALL the gaskets. My car has 48k miles and maybe 100 of those were on the pulley and my lower intake gaskets were shot!!!! And I have a head cooling mod.

Users who are viewing this thread