Firearms questioin for the LEOs. Specifically GA.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I've been thinking about the incident for a couple weeks since it happened and I keep wondering if I did something wrong or did he do something wrong? I had a few days off so I decided to go visit some family over in Alabama on my bike. The majority of the trip is back roads so I was running up through the gears a bit. Anyway, granny pulls out in front of me about 1/2 mile from a hill so I passed her. As I'm passing her a Georgia State Patrol car comes over the hill. I knew I was busted so I slowed down but I looked in the mirror and never saw brake lights. So I kept going. A couple miles later I come into the small town of Tallapoosa, GA. I come up to their 1 of only 2 redlights and I wait. Next thing I know he's right beside me. I pull into a driveway right by the light, cut my bike off and remove my helmet and gloves. I pull out my wallet while my back is still to him so he can see my hands as I'm turning around. I pull out my Driver's License, insurance, and my carry permit. I always carry a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm in a shoulder holster when riding. He gets out of the car and he's obviously a bit pissed at me. (I was speeding, and apparently made an improper pass). Now, he was doing his job so this is NOT a cop hating post. However, he was firm but polite. He told me what he saw and I said "Yes, sir". I handed him the license, insurance, and permit. He merely glanced at the permit before handing it back to me. He DID NOT ask if I was carrying a weapon. He ran my info, told me to slow down, and gave me a warning. "Thank you sir, have a nice day".

My question: I was under the understanding if a cop pulls you over hand them your permit first thing. Then they'll disarm you until the the stop has been completed and hand you back your weapon. Did he screw up by not asking for my pistol? Or did I do something wrong? Either way, I could've shot him several times and that's why I'm concerned. I have no problem with cops, especially when I know I'm in the wrong. I just feel like he should've at least asked me about the pistol after seeing my permit. Hope the LEOs understand what I'm getting at. Thanks guys.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
First of all, I am not an officer so you may disregard this post if you find it of no value. As a ccw permit holder and a rider, I would like to point out that you set the tone of your interaction with that officer. From what you have said, you acted in a very respectful manner and helped to relieve the tension of the situation. I was reading the post and actually did a double-take at it when you said "I could've shot him several times and that's why I'm concerned." I cannot speak for Georgia but in Kansas, obtaining a ccw takes work and money. As an EMT also, I work closely with local and state LEO's on a regular basis. Most if not all know that I have a ccw (although I am not allowed to carry while on duty) and they are very respectful of it because they understand the process (read: probing) one must endure to gain the license. What I have gathered from deputies and troopers is that ccw holders like you and me are not generally considered a threat. I'm glad it worked out for you and I know I did not answer your question. I thought a different angle may help you understand what happened and why though.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
You actually made a valid point bro. However, I wouldn't trust the Pope if he had a loaded weapon and I had him pulled over. Know what I'm saying? I see more and more everyday that makes me glad I went through with getting a permit. People are freaking crazy. Hell, 2 shootings yesterday at the 49ers vs Raiders PRESEASON game! It's just a game and little more than a scrimmage at that.

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
First of all, I am not an officer so you may disregard this post if you find it of no value. As a ccw permit holder and a rider, I would like to point out that you set the tone of your interaction with that officer. From what you have said, you acted in a very respectful manner and helped to relieve the tension of the situation. I was reading the post and actually did a double-take at it when you said "I could've shot him several times and that's why I'm concerned." I cannot speak for Georgia but in Kansas, obtaining a ccw takes work and money. As an EMT also, I work closely with local and state LEO's on a regular basis. Most if not all know that I have a ccw (although I am not allowed to carry while on duty) and they are very respectful of it because they understand the process (read: probing) one must endure to gain the license. What I have gathered from deputies and troopers is that ccw holders like you and me are not generally considered a threat. I'm glad it worked out for you and I know I did not answer your question. I thought a different angle may help you understand what happened and why though.

x2 on the double take at the "i could have shot the officer multiple times" comment.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Guess I worded that wrong. I was trying to make a point that he had an armed citizen pulled over and he did not address the situation. For my protection in the future, I want to know if it was handled properly on both sides. I don't want the next to arrest me or get trigger happy. On the other hand, I don't want cops getting shot either. Y'all understand?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Lol'z at some of the posters, buthtey have good points. As a VA LEO, when I see that somebody has a CCW, orr CCP, I generally don't worry. I DO NOT let my guard down though. States require a lengthy background check to ensure that these permits don't get issued to those that don't qualify. I, as an LEO, encourage people to get CCP's because you never know what ind of morons are out here when there isn't a officer around.
As for the LEO taking your gun while on the stop, that is an entirely different thing. Some officers do and some don't. He may have already planned on giving you warnings for your offenses and therefore didn't feel as if he had the need to take it. OR, it could have been your honesty in showing him the CCP at the beginning of the stop. Many factors play a part in how us LEO's conduct each stop, BUT that decision all starts when the person stopped opens their mouth. It's all about the attitude we get.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Thank you Silver. You pretty much answered my concerns in that short statement. I don't like being pulled over, but I know the cop is doing his job. No point in being rude to them.

drepka

Established Member
Now that the ccw permits are not a new thing it's more "routine" to most officers , mainly seasoned ones...sometimes i ask for the gun sometimes not...I agree with the other officer's post....just depends on the "feeling" you get with dealing with people i guess...glad it worked out for both of you.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I will ask if the person is carrying when they provide the permit. I like to know where it is, but if I have no reason to disarm the permit holder I won't. A traffic stop for speeding and improper passing wouldn't give me reason to.

I was on a stop on a possible rolling domestic violence recently where I disarmed the permit holder. Long enough to investigate the third party complaint. As soon as we were able to determine there were no problems, he got his weapon back.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I do not believe you are required to Notify in GA. So why would you for a minor traffic stop? You were not planning to use it were you? Im sure the officer had his guard up weather you knew it or not. Now if you were asked..or told to get out of the vehicle....that is something else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread