EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2018-Shelby-GT500-Spy-Video-Featured.jpg

Sound & Fury
Here’s the first video of the forthcoming GT500 test mule in action
By Steve Turner
Photos by KGP Photography

Last week dedicated spy photographers captured out-of-captivity shots of a 2018 Shelby GT500 prototype roaming the streets of Dearborn, Michigan. With so much anticipation about what powertrain is lurking underneath this Ford Performance machine, the spies kept after it and finally captured video of the car in action for the world to analyze and theorize about what the sound of this car means.

While the popular theory—or at least everyone’s dream—is that the car will be powered by an EcoBoost V-8. However, in listening to the clip of this car, we have to say the exhaust note sounds pretty robust for a turbocharged machine, as turbos act like mufflers. Plus we don’t here any hits of blow-off valves or other turbo sounds.

To judge for yourself, check out this brief clip…

[video=youtube;1Ltilz7vdgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ltilz7vdgw[/video]

The photographers seem to believe this one sounded like another Voodoo variant in person, but the drivers were clearly taking it easy when the cameras are pointed at the car. Could it be that this is another naturally aspirated Mustang in development or could it be that there’s a supercharged, cross-plane 5.2-liter V-8 underhood?

We don’t know yet, but it sure will be fun to find out. What we can see for sure is that this car sports a GT350 R wing, and it seems to have larger openings in the front fascia for cooling, which leads to speculation about an intercooler of some type hidden behind the bulky bra.

What do you think Ford engineers are developing with this test car?

1-2018-Shelby-GT500-Spy-Video.jpg

Spy photographers recently captured video footage of what is believed to be the development mule for the forthcoming Shelby GT500, which is rumored to produce 750 to 800 horsepower.

rmurer

Established Member
I think it sounds orgasmic. Does seem to sound different then a GT350 a bit as far as the exhaust note goes. Seems a bit deeper.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Oh boy, I didn't hear any turbo whistle in the exhaust note. Might be another supercharged V8. Going to go with Supercharged 5.2

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm hoping they do the 5.2 V8 with a TVS on top, that would be a monster. I'm definitely excited to see what ford does with the GT500. I'm sure it will be 750+HP

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Pretty lame video. Who says it's any different from the GT350, sound the same to me.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Its not going to be a V6, the V6 was meant to be campaigned in the Ford GT from the success they had in the Daytona Prototype program. Yup a TTv6 beating v8 corvette DP cars.

I really hope its a turbo v8, Ford is good at setting trends with the Mustang. I hope they do no disappoint.
FWIW, all the Euro makes are going turbo. Even the base 911 now has a turbo, but its not called 911 Turbo.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
The GT500 is going to wreck the Hellcat and ZL-1, especially the Hellcat. The ZL-1 might have a chance on the track, we'll see. That sounds different from the GT350. It sounds like a traditional V8.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
The GT500 is going to wreck the Hellcat and ZL-1, especially the Hellcat. The ZL-1 might have a chance on the track, we'll see. That sounds different from the GT350. It sounds like a traditional V8.

Actually, I thought the same thing, until I listened to it about 4 times. It very well may be the 5.2 FPC

Last edited:

ATX5.0

Established Member
18' Mach1? CPC, 3600lb car and at least 420whp NA. One can only dream.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Its not going to be a V6, the V6 was meant to be campaigned in the Ford GT from the success they had in the Daytona Prototype program. Yup a TTv6 beating v8 corvette DP cars.

FWIW, all the Euro makes are going turbo. Even the base 911 now has a turbo, but its not called 911 Turbo.

Sure, but the 911 went from a 3.8L NA flat 6 to a 3.0L TT F6. The Boxster/Cayman went from a 3.4L NA F6 to a 2.0L TT F4. When the turbos are added, displacement always always goes down and sometimes the number of cylinders as well.

Seriously though, the Ford GT(40) has always been a V8 and now it's a TT V6. The raptor and all other HP Ford trucks have always been V8 and now it's a TT V6. You think the next super HiPo Mustang can't be a TT V6 just because of a little history with the brand?

Clearly the engine in the car in the vid is a V8, which is why I'm saying it's probably a modified GT350 or the same one we've seen this whole time but with a different exhaust. Nothing about that car tells me it's a GT500 prototype.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That's a very deep tone. He didn't get on it so it's hard to say. Larger than 5.2 liter displacement supercharged V8 is my guess.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Sounds like a coyote to me. Probably with a TVS from the factory. It's a proven commodity, from Cobra Jets to Roush cars.

SlowSVT

Established Member
That's a V8 for sure

At 700+ hp it's likely to be turbo to make that kind of HP on pump swill. They probably went to great lengths to get it to spool early. Probably will get a beefy 6 sp and no FPC. I just hope they don't use a linerless block like all their other cars but I'm not optimistic here. What ever gets released you can bet it's going to be a bitch'n car. GT350R will soon be selling below MSRP! On the street this is going to be the "big daddy" :)

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I can't really tell. Pretty deep tone. It definitely sounds like coyote architecture though. I think it might be the 5.2 without the flat plane crank, sporting a blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread