First GM stick shift in the 7's

96dreamer

Established Member
Been following leroy since they started hacking it up, its so stupid I love it. Garrett can ****ing drive no argument but you can make anything fast with money and that has a bunch in it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Garrett is an awesome guy. I've had the privilege of meeting him at Charlotte SCT a couple times, one of which he signed my son's little 1320 shirt. Leroy is pretty cool too, even though it's not my taste. There's just no denying Garrett's driving though, whether you like him/his car or not. It's a freaking aerodynamically challenged, stripped Corvette that runs 7s. With. A. Stick. Of course there's a ton of money thrown at it. I'm not aware of a cheap 7-second car yet. But it's a well thought out and perfectly executed car, plain and simple. I'd be willing to bet that the lightness that comes from stripping his car, actually hurts him more than it benefits him.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Garrett is an awesome guy. I've had the privilege of meeting him at Charlotte SCT a couple times, one of which he signed my son's little 1320 shirt. Leroy is pretty cool too, even though it's not my taste. There's just no denying Garrett's driving though, whether you like him/his car or not. It's a freaking aerodynamically challenged, stripped Corvette that runs 7s. With. A. Stick. Of course there's a ton of money thrown at it. I'm not aware of a cheap 7-second car yet. But it's a well thought out and perfectly executed car, plain and simple. I'd be willing to bet that the lightness that comes from stripping his car, actually hurts him more than it benefits him.

Yeah, if you look at the slip the 1/8th is awesome, think weight reduction, then the back half isnt anywhere near what it should be, think aero. I think the thing is hauling ass for sure and you are spot on with cost. It isnt cheap to run like that. It's just not my flavor. It is still a stick though, which is what I race with and all of my friends race with, so I have to like that.

4a7191a

Established Member
Boostin performance has a dsm in the 7's that's a stick shift and is still actually a car. :/. Like I say 7's but it's almost in the 6's

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I too have been watching Cleetus and his skeletor C5 since he first acquired it and started his quest to go fast. However all of you talking about the money he put into it... I'll bet it's a lot less than you think. I'm betting most of those go fast goodies he gets for free or at a seriously reduced cost due to the free advertising and the revenue he generates from YouTube.

U.M.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I've also been watching Cleetus since he started doing his own thing away from 1320 video. He's definitely an inspiration and for someone so young to accomplish what he has and get paid to do what he loves is simply awesome. He's making some serious connections and at this point probably handed parts because of his following and views. I mean a Texas Speed rep was at the track with him and his local track stayed open just for him. Hell yeah brother!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
So a go cart that used to be a vette? I wonder what it weighs at this point. Not a fan, but it definitely runs hard. I guess I prefer my cars to still have body panels.

One of the videos early on had him scale the car at the track. I think it was around 2550lbs but without the cage work, turbos...etc.

They also did a wind tunnel test on the car and found he was losing a ton of power in just its drag coefficient.

Coiled03

Established Member
Does that even qualify as a GM anymore? What, just because it still has a few pieces on it that were installed at the factory, it's a GM?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to share @Coiled03's comment. At this point, can you even really call it a "car". It's not street legal since it's devoid of it's body panels and a lot more. The guy's super cool and I think it's great that he's pushing that racer to those numbers.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Does that even qualify as a GM anymore? What, just because it still has a few pieces on it that were installed at the factory, it's a GM?

It's still a corvette frame and tub which I would say qualifies it as a GM vehicle. It's not as impressive as a full bodied vehicle although I don't think the intent was to chase records but more of a different style project for his YouTube channel. The car has some of the best parts money can buy for that platform and he's a great driver and this is the result

KEVINS

Established Member
I enjoyed watching the commentary and a huge congrats go out to the team. With that said I'm not sure I would call that a Corvette either.
But You gotta admit that working on the car would be really easy with no panels to work around.

HUGE congrats to the team anyway the vid was entertaining to watch as they thrashed to make the car run the numbers on that last night and I hope they do more with it.

KS

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I too have been watching Cleetus and his skeletor C5 since he first acquired it and started his quest to go fast. However all of you talking about the money he put into it... I'll bet it's a lot less than you think. I'm betting most of those go fast goodies he gets for free or at a seriously reduced cost due to the free advertising and the revenue he generates from YouTube.

U.M.
Well no kidding sherlock. But if you were to try and replicate that setup, Im sure you'd be in brand new ZR1 territory money wise.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really enjoy Cletus. Like others, I've watched him since his early days. I enjoyed watching him build Leory because it wasn't an entire "checkbook" build. He did the work. He screwed stuff up. I could easily identify with that frustration!! lol.

And, as others have noted, at this point I'm sure most of his parts for Leroy are heavily discounted. The man gets tons of views on his videos. He is a marketing machine. MERCH!!!!

Let 'er rip tater-chip!!

merkyworks

Established Member
At this point, can you even really call it a "car". It's not street legal since it's devoid of it's body panels and a lot more.

Are body panels required for it to be street legal? I'm sure this varies from state to state like emissions and whatnot. I do know Florida has no emissions requirements so running without cats is legal.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I was skipping through the video cause it was long. Did I understand correctly the last two runs were with no coolant in the engine because of head gasket issues?

If that's the case that's pretty crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread