first run with a c6z06.the outcome was shocking

wuplash

Established Member
well after finally getting the cobra out for it's first bath since oct last year and getting to actually drive it around some tonight i came across a c6 z06 parked in a lot by a sports bar.well i decided it would be cool to just sit across the road from it and watch it leave since i've not seen many around here.after waiting for 20 min a guy and lady come out and get in the z,i had not planed on following it to see if i could get a run in,but when they left he pulled out slowly and crept up the road like to edge me on to follow.i waited for over a minute and decided what the heck and headed up the road and caught up to them.i then had to pass since he was only driving 45 in a 50 and we were getting to close to a light to do a run.we eventually get to a 4lane hwy with me in front and i make my turn then he sits and waits with no traffic coming for a long time then comes out onto the hwy.i was just cruising along in the right lane at 45 mph in 4th and i see him coming up the left lane steadily catching up but not going real fast,well he gets within 4 car lenght's and drop's a gear as i saw the rear end squat and the hid headlights point upward and was going to try a flyby.i thought not without a fight your not,he has the run on me by hitting it first even though he was 4 lenghts back and gets to just behind my driver door handle when the cobra is now in stride and i'am getting shocked cause he is not gaining i've stopped his momentum in it's tracks and i'am actually inching away from the z06.he let off at 100mph and i then let off after seeing him do so.now he did have a female passenger and i was alone in the cobra which helps me out,but he still has to have a 350lb advantage over my cobra and i would say our power is the same with his sounding stock.i'am really amazed right now the cobra held it's own and then some against the c6 z06 i really thought would get blown away:rockon:

C6 Z06

Established Member
On the street, you know the saying "anything", but with your #'s and equal drivers it's not going to happen.

Tough to call this one a race, because from 50 to 100mph in the Z is only a matter of seconds. Are you sure the guy was trying to race or just dicking around with you? Either way, I'm glad to see there are a few other vette owners that will hit the gas because most won't.

StangJason

Established Member
Nice kill...You are going to get lots of b.s. flags for this because the Z06 is unbeatable on the net by just about any 03/04 pullied Cobra. Don't worry I realize dyno numbers are just measurements and don't accurately create what can happen on the street. I think your Cobra's Eaton puts you at an advantage over the Vette's peaky powerband and then your superior power helped you creep away slowly.

wuplash

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
On the street, you know the saying "anything", but with your #'s and equal drivers it's not going to happen.

Tough to call this one a race, because from 50 to 100mph in the Z is only a matter of seconds. Are you sure the guy was trying to race or just dicking around with you? Either way, I'm glad to see there are a few other vette owners that will hit the gas because most won't.

oh he was definatly racing and not farting around and i'am also glad someone with one wants to use it instead or driving it for a status piece.i've had my cobra for over 4 years and this is the first vette not to mention it being the new z06 who wanted to play.like i posted earlier he did have a female passenger which helps in the weight difference:-D

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
He's trapping mid-120's, which is what stock C6 ZO6's trap. It's not that unrealistic.

Nice kill.

Last edited:

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Nice run, I could see you running with one on the street. If I were to put money on either car though, I think the Z gets the nod, but that doesn't mean they can't be beaten. Also good to see somebody acutually using those cars for a change.

C6 Vette

Established Member
If your trapping 122mph and running 11.6 ET's with your 455whp and 499TQ you definately got the "good driver" mod on your side....and yes anything can happen on the street.....Nice kill

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
wuplash said:
i came across a c6 z06 parked in a lot by a sports bar.well i decided it would be cool to just sit across the road from it and watch it leave since i've not seen many around here.after waiting for 20 min a guy and lady come out and get in the z,i had not planed on following it to see if i could get a run in:

You are a patient man. And nice kill.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Repeated testing between my Cobra and my friends stock C6 Z06 from 50 -140 and 60 - 150 pulls he would consistently pull ~1.5 cars. If he had a 170 lb passenger and I didn't, it would be dead even.

In a proper race, a pullied Cobra would get pulled pretty good by a C6 Z stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsCnpQ5Y0M

Last edited:

burnzilla

Established Member
^ I agree.

Those LS7's are just beasts on the highway and they are light as hell too.
I think you had the driver mod on him.

Anyways, good run.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Why do so many of you seem suprised that he won? He's running 11.6 at the track. The times I've read the new Z06 having are between 11.7-12.0.

C6 Vette

Established Member
RedRocketMike said:
Why do so many of you seem suprised that he won? He's running 11.6 at the track. The times I've read the new Z06 having are between 11.7-12.0.

Because his and most pullied cobra setups are right around the 450-470rwhp mark and thats not enough to overcome the weight and drag coefficiency disadvantage that Cobra's possess when going up against a C6Z . To be honest with ya most pulley Cobras out here in the west where the D/A's are horrible they tend to average low to mid 12's...Perhaps his 11.6 was at a WELL prepped track in FAVORABLE conditions on some Mickey Thompson slicks....:shrug:

No one is denying the validity of his kill, but you have to admit 11.6 with a pullied Cobra is about as rare as a Z06 running high 10's with DR's...its happened , but its not the norm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread