First time at the track

SpyStang95

Established Member
Hey guys. Well im finally doin it. Im taking my car to the track for the first time. Any tips or tricks you guys can give me would be awesome. Also what do you think i would run with my current combo.

stock bottom end
edelbrock performer 5.0 heads
custom cam (between E or F)
drop in k&n
Smog pump delete
JBA shorty headers
Bassani off road X
Bassani SS cat back
Aluminum drive line
Aluminum lower control arms
3.73 gears

I think thats about it. Any advice would be good. Thanks

WayFastWhitey

Gin and Jews
Established Member
well i ran a best of 13.9@102 in 90* weather a few weeks ago, and all i have is hpipe, k&n intake, rousch shortshifter and tremec tranny on dr's

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
I could easily see at low 13 - high 12 depending on the state of tune and the amount of traction you can get.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Traction will be major contributing factor on what times you run. With traction, you could get mid to low 13's, possible 12's @ around 105 mph or so. With no traction it could be mid 14's. With the altitude on street tire around high 13's.

98svtconvert

Established Member
around mid to high 13's. when you go to the track, don't worry about launching with the lights. just wait until you see green and then launch. concentrate on how you launch the car. once you get used to that then worry about reaction times. you might lose a few races but you will get better at launching the car. once you feal out the car and how it likes to launch (rpms and clutch slip) then start trying to get good at timing the tree. just remember, no one goes to the track the first time ever and pulls off blistering passes. take your time and enjoy it. good luck.

Justin

SpyStang95

Established Member
Thanks guys. And thanks justin for the tips. Im really not expecting to blow everyone else out of the water, but i also dont want to be the lame duck. But thanks again for the tips. And if anyone else has some advice it would be much appreciated.
Chris

98svtconvert

Established Member
anytime. i am always glad to help. i remember my first time at the track. i was so excited and so nervous that i was going to screw something up. after the first pass all that went away and i had a blast. one more thing. if you still have any questions when you get to the track, don't be afraid to ask. everyone there remembers their first time and should be more than happy to help. when you show up let the officials know that it is your first time and they should help you.

Justin

Last edited:

SpyStang95

Established Member
Well, the challenges have already started rolling in. Ive got 3 people already lined up that are just chompin at the bit to line up and run the quarter. heres a list of some cars, who do you guys think will reign victorious.

Mine:

stock bottom end
edelbrock performer 5.0 heads
custom cam (between E or F)
drop in k&n
Smog pump delete
JBA shorty headers
Bassani off road X
Bassani SS cat back
Aluminum drive line
Aluminum lower control arms
3.73 gears

Buddy1:
Stock bottom
Stock head
F303
K&N fipk
bbk lt
dr gas off road x
magnaflow cb

Buddy2:
Stock bottom
Stock heads
F303
Random Fenderwell CAI
BBK LT
Dr gas off road x
Flowmaster 2 chambers

Thats the line up, oh and everyone has various shifter either pro5.0 or steed triax. Just wondering what you all think. Oh yeah we have a fourth too.
Cousin:
1996 GT
Stock bottom
Stage 2 ported PI heads
PI intake
Cams
Accufab plenum and tb
C&L true flow CAI
Mac prochamber
Roush Side exhaust
and 4.10s on a stock automatic

Thats all.
Chris

lone sailor

Established Member
The 96' GT will be a real challenge for you IMO. I believe as long as you can drive pretty good, you'll have the first two beat, but the 4.6 has the upper hand with the mods. Hope you win :rockon:

SpyStang95

Established Member
the 96 gt has been dynoed at 279 at the wheels. Just if that makes any difference. I wouldnt say im the best driver by any means, but i think i can handle my own when it comes down to bangin through the gears.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Slap some sticky tires & you should beat all of them. Traction will be the key to who wins each race, the one with traction will win.

lone sailor

Established Member
SpyStang95 said:
the 96 gt has been dynoed at 279 at the wheels. Just if that makes any difference. I wouldnt say im the best driver by any means, but i think i can handle my own when it comes down to bangin through the gears.

Cool. You should be able to take then all out then. Grab some e/t streets and you'll be good to go. :rolling:

SpyStang95

Established Member
Wish i could get my hands on some dr's before tomorrow, but im s.o.l. Im gonna have to get the first numbers on streets. Thanks for all the tips guys, i really appreciate it. Hopefully soon i can get my car dynoed so i know exactlly what she is putting down too.

David Munoz

Established Member
The key is stay calm and block everything else out except for what you are doing. Concentrate on your shift points and do not worry about the other guy. You will do well.

lone sailor

Established Member
SpyStang95 said:
Thank you much david, not only for the advice, but for the awesome car!!!

Psssssttttt............. lower the air pressure in the rears. Drop it to about 20-22 psi. If you have a way of getting the air pressure back up before you leave the track I'd drop it to about 16psi. :rockon:

SpyStang95

Established Member
Well, the track was the biggest rush of my life. Ive never felt an adreneline rush like that before. Lets jsut say im hooked. The only bad thing is, the mod list is long and expensive, and looks more appealing than ever now. But anyways heres is the break down

First and best of 2 passes:
R/T ... .542
60' ... 2.336
300' ... 6.399
1/8 ... 9.725
MPH ... 74.91
1000' .. 12.543
1/4 .... 14.916
MPH ... 95.45

Well, theres the numbers. Has some spin on the launch and a little shifting into second, but all in all im pretty happy with it. Do keep in mind the elevation here is right around 4700. oh, and the tires were aired at 32psi, wanted to see what she would run exactlly the way i drive it daily. So let me know what you guys think should be done to lower the et's. any mods, beside the lack of an obvious power adder.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
glad you had fun .......it is a HUGE rush!!

OBVIOUSLY LOWER YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!!!!

i dont even drive daily with that much

also what were you shifting at cause the 1/4 is definitely high ..............your exhaust and gears alone should have put you in the 13.9-14.2 margin

yours is a cobra correct??????????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread