First time drag racing tonight. Some thoughts from a GT500 noob.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So tonight I drove in my first ever drag racing event, 1/8th mile drags here in San Diego at Qualcomm stadium. While its still fresh in my memory, I wanted to make a few statements that hopefully other rookie drag racers and new first time GT500 owners can use to guide them.

1. If its your first time ever, it doesnt matter what you're driving its going to be a challenge. Nothing Ive ever done with driving cars had prepared me for my first drag race event. Its a pride swallowing affair at the age of 32. Burnouts went ok. Spin city, even with NT05Rs on launch through first. That was all driver error, not drag radial error. Countless ridiculously fast guys run them hard... but on your first run out, they wont save you from inexperience. Unless you're naturally gifted with dig racing, it will take effort and practice and patience. All while doing it in front of tons of people.... Keep at it and be humble. Concentrate on minor changes to your technique and keep getting back into the staging lanes. You are not going to be John Force at the end of the night! But you have to get experience under your belt.

2. Power is not your friend if you're a newb. With experience, oh yes.. bring it all on. But for the rookie? Too much can seriously rain on your parade. The factory power output is BY FAR more than enough for your first go or two. I personally built some power over stock with all my bolt ons, pulley, tune and 100 octane fuel. Knowing what I know after tonight, the stock car with better air filter, better than stock tires and premium pump gas are all you'll need. Im personally glad I have them... and Ill have to learn to drive my car with them. But had I known what I know now from first hand experience, she would have stayed stock with better tires and an air filter until I was competent to handle more power. Seriously rethinking going with a blower upgrade and getting 15" rims with slicks once my NT05Rs are done.

3. No matter how much you love your GT500, you will quickly learn that there are other WAY faster cars out there. There are for damn sure a few Jeep SRT-8s running around that I want no business messing with. Accept this, check your fanboy card at the gate and just go as fast as your technique will let you. In time you can defend the honor of Ford and the GT500.... not if youre a rookie.

4. By the end of the day tomorrow, I will have a WOT box on order. ***EDIT*** on the fence about the WOTbox atm. I was locked out of 2nd gear one too many times to be happy with not having one. Thats with an MGW gen2 and a rebuilt transmission. The other times I actually got her to go into gear during balls out 1-2 upshift, she was VERY unhappy about it. Extremely embarrassing to watch your opponent shitcan you because you have to spend time down the track getting it to go into second. (as if getting smashed on the launch because you spun the tires all through 1st isnt bad enough).

5. A converted parking lot isnt the best surface... by any means.... even with VP traction compound....

6. Be prepared for something to break. Likely during the run. Somehow one of my poly bushings on my lower control arm decided it hated life and began disintegrating during the event. Finally blew out while completing a 2-3 upshift. That was some come to Jesus moment let me tell you!

7. Be made of rubber and know that for all the ball busting you may get, its just part of racing. Until you have the skill to back it up... consider it all true and use it as a motivator to get better.

Thats all I have for now. Understand, these are my opinions and initial thoughts right after a long first night racing from a dig. One thing I know for sure.... I had a blast doing it and challenge ****ing accepted to get better. Will get my car fixed, WOT box installed and get after it again.

*edit* i forgot one

8. TURN OFF YOUR F'ING TRACTION CONTROL BEFORE A BURNOUT. :D Only did that once after I had to shut the car off for bit.

Fastest 1/8 of the night I got was an 8.359 at 93.74 mph

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
I've never raced mine, usually GT500'S are the slowest cars at my track. Not to many people can drive them well. Lots of 13 second time slips

billabong333

Established Member
Yea I remember my first time too. It was rough. I probably could have got a better time in my v6 mustang than I did in my gt500.

lkempf

Established Member
It takes a lot of practice. I have drag raced other mustangs i have lots of times and have yet to master the GT500. They have tons of power and the second gear thing will make you want to sell it. I just try to have fun with it and take the good with the bad.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Tough luck. It's an art to get everything to work perfectly. I get locked out sometimes but mostly just scratch 1-2 shift. Best to shift into 2nd a bit before red line. I found that to work best. Your right. Keep practicing. Your not there to really race people yet but to test and tune your car. Don't worry about looking like a rookie.

I noticed mostly experienced drivers can launch good with a street radial like NT05Rs. You won't net better then a 2.0 60ft but if your lucky you could get a 1.9 60ft with your experience. They make it sound easy. I use those tires and netted some good times. I ended up buying some 15x10s with the Hoosier QTP drag radial. These will net a 1.7 or lower if you launch it right. I found that 4k rev and hold, floor it then drop the clutch. You will rip out the hole. 60ft is your best friend if you want some great times

Go check out fordgt500.com. There's a guy there that was testing out his WOT box and blew his motor. I would be careful with it. Most will stay away from them and some swear by it. I'm still on the fence on getting one.

Last edited:

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Never drag raced my GT500 but I did race my '02 GT nearly 10 years ago when it was making 428rwhp, and the results wasn't pretty at all. I did eventually get it to a 12.6 pass but that came after numerous botched runs, including a glorious 16.8 run my very first time up.

Next month I'm taking a shot at 1/2 mile racing, but I'm not expecting anything special on that either.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Crap, I forgot times!

Fastest 1/8 of the night I got was an 8.359 at 93.74 mph. My 60fts and r/t were all shit haha.

GT500s are definitely beastly, soon as she (finally) found some traction she just absolutely flew. There we plenty of times where if it were a quarter mile I would have won alot more, epicly botched launches and all! I learned racing heads up is completely won out of the hole unless you have just a beast of a car.

What also killed me, and I forgot to mention is my clutch pedal setup. Im a shorty at like 5'4" and I definitely have short legs. I use a clutch pedal extender on the street so Im not completely on the steering wheel. I should have taken it off. It raises the actual pedal height probably about a good inch. Im used to it on the street but I let a friend drive it and he had trouble launching too (and he got locked out of second hehehehe). So I need to solve that. Im thinking about finding another clutch pedal and having it custom modified. The extra inch out is fine, but the extra height its contributing to the poor launches.

Remember wot box will create more spin the last thing I wanted so I just sold mine.

After all that no times?

It was making you spin on launch? I was under the impression the 2 step was supposed to assist the hole shot? Im really more interested in the no lift shifting, Im convinced in the zeal of trying to figure out my car I may have not been lifting fast enough (or good enough) to give 2nd synchro a chance to set.

Last edited:

RI GT500

Established Member
I went 11:40 @ 126 with a 60' of 1:89, I'm looking for much quicker with my 4R75W and my new Gen 2

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
lexustech48....... The 'TRACK' your refering to is a Football stadium parking lot with no prep and is basiclly a parking lot. Without all wheel drive you will never run your GT500 to its full potenial. Next time give BARONA race track a try its a real track with full prep and its generally a fast track. (good air and altitude)

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I'd like to say, for those who can afford it (or would like to spend the $) go with the Magnum XL transmission. It shifts as you would expect a transmission to shift. No more wasting time on shifters, fluids and rebuilds. With only a minor increase in nvh, its well worth it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
First time is always fun and challenging, like most things ;-)
Glad you had fun and gained experience.
Please listen to the advice above and go to a real race track next time, it will be much better.
-J

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Remember wot box will create more spin the last thing I wanted so I just sold mine.

After all that no times?

The GT500 or WOT box? I'm gonna be running mine on a roadcourse on Weds. If I have shifting issues I may very well put mine up for sale.

99SSls1

Established Member
The GT500 or WOT box? I'm gonna be running mine on a roadcourse on Weds. If I have shifting issues I may very well put mine up for sale.

Wot box will allow you to shift easier but will create traction problems without the right tires. Road course I can not speak for but I would think it would be worse using it out of the turns.

How bad are you burning the tires on your shifts now? Running the wot on the street/ street tires.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Wot box will allow you to shift easier but will create traction problems without the right tires. Road course I can not speak for but I would think it would be worse using it out of the turns.

How bad are you burning the tires on your shifts now? Running the wot on the street/ street tires.

I spin very bad now since the TVS swap. I don't have a WOT box. Was curious if you sold the box or the car? With my car, I'll have to tip toe coming out of turns to avoid wheel spin. I still have strong doubts if my 1-2 shifting issues are behind me, even with the MGW 2. I really cannot get any power down on street tires, and my DR's want to roast my clutch.

99SSls1

Established Member
I spin very bad now since the TVS swap. I don't have a WOT box. Was curious if you sold the box or the car? With my car, I'll have to tip toe coming out of turns to avoid wheel spin. I still have strong doubts if my 1-2 shifting issues are behind me, even with the MGW 2. I really cannot get any power down on street tires, and my DR's want to roast my clutch.

Oh my bad I thought you was referring to selling the wot box. I love the car I'm just done with the whole gt500 clutch,trans and shifter. No more money going towards it. (Haha I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread