First trip to strip with 4.10s

Softballer77

Established Member
Well, didn't go as well as I wanted. Did 6 runs, adjusted pressures on the MT 17" DRs, adjusted launch rpms, etc on every run and couldn't hook at all. Track seemed to hook well for most others, and didn't hear any other complaints of track condition.

Being 104 degrees today didn't help. Not to mention the tech guys were hitting people hard on the 11.49/roll bar rules. I got told during tech to don't even bother below a 11.5, so I was letting out just to work on dialing a launch in. Ended up with a 11.1 by accident on the last one, got warned if they saw it again i'd be banned for a year. This 11.49 stuff stinks now for newer cars...hardly anyone was there, and I wish I had a $ for every brake light I saw light up just before the traps. Who wants to pay to watch a race people let up on all the time? I wouldn't have stayed if I wasn't so wanting to get a launch dialed in. (which didn't happen anyways) With SoCal having so much illegal racing going on, you'd figure they'd lax a few things.

Just wasn't a great day. Wished for some good times with those new gears.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Were you able to run it out the back door?
What trap mph/rpm?
Sucks on the tech and when the track isn't working.
-J

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Nhra rules are 9.99 or 135mph for roll cages on post 2008 cars with factory blower....even I dont get harassed that bad out here and im well above the 135mph limit.

Softballer77

Established Member
Were you able to run it out the back door?
What trap mph/rpm?
Sucks on the tech and when the track isn't working.
-J

What do you mean "out the back door"?
I only stayed in it once and it was 11.1 at 130. I was trapping 133-134 with the 3.31s.

Nhra rules are 9.99 or 135mph for roll cages on post 2008 cars with factory blower....even I dont get harassed that bad out here and im well above the 135mph limit.

If you even as much put a different intake on it, you are not valid for that rule, and have to go by the 11.49 rule. Has to be completely stock to be allowed to have trap allowance to 9.99. (GTRs seem to be the common player in this area).

Where in the rule book does it state that? I'd love to keep that on hand.

It has to be 100% stock in order to go by the 9.99 rule.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you mean "out the back door"?
I only stayed in it once and it was 11.1 at 130. I was trapping 133-134 with the 3.31s.
In your first post you mentioned you were letting out not to go faster than allowed, so I was just asking if you ran a pass full power through the traps "out the back door".
Sounds like you did and mentioned 130 vs. 133-134.
I'm assuming previous runs were trapping in 3rd gear?
Heat can allow for the loss of trap speed as can not going WOT in 1st.
I went 136-137 with 4.10s trapping at 65-6600 and 135 trapping 61-6200 with 3.73s, my car liked the 4.10s.
Hard to tell from one track session, but once you get things figured out, it should allow you to run much quicker than the 3.31s (typically 3-4 tenths gain).
Sucks to hear they are enforcing that rule, my tracks are much cooler :(
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
Temps were actually 104F that day. IATs were around 115 even with shutting down in the staging lanes. Probably should be looking at another HE & fans...

At what temp does the ECU start pulling timing?

paluka21

Established Member
Temps were actually 104F that day. IATs were around 115 even with shutting down in the staging lanes. Probably should be looking at another HE & fans...

At what temp does the ECU start pulling timing?

Wow 104 degrees in October. What track did you run at in Southern California? I would say that with 115 degree IAT's the car would be pulling some timing, although its hard to tell how much. What octane are you using? Once you get the car dialed in and the IAT's come down with better air, you should easily be able to pick up .3 - .4 with the addition of your 3.73's. Does your butt-o-meter tell you the car is faster? :coolman:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeay 104 degress is a performance killer.
Not sure what temp stock tune pulls, your tuner can and may have adjusted this.
And he has 4.10s, a better strip choice :)
-J

paluka21

Established Member
Yeay 104 degress is a performance killer.
Not sure what temp stock tune pulls, your tuner can and may have adjusted this.
And he has 4.10s, a better strip choice :)
-J

Agreed, with the 4.10's he should easily pick up more time once he gets used driving it well.

Softballer77

Established Member
Wow 104 degrees in October. What track did you run at in Southern California? I would say that with 115 degree IAT's the car would be pulling some timing, although its hard to tell how much. What octane are you using? Once you get the car dialed in and the IAT's come down with better air, you should easily be able to pick up .3 - .4 with the addition of your 3.73's. Does your butt-o-meter tell you the car is faster? :coolman:

Autoclub in Fontana. Temps have been strange lately. It's been 10-15 degrees hotter down there than up the hill in the desert where I live (Victorville). It's usually the other way around.

I can definitely feel a difference...I think my best 60 was still only a 1.71 (stock suspension) though. Won't be till the turn of next year till I run it again though since I'm leaving for business. Good time to get a 5 or 6 pt decided on and a new HE setup.

Users who are viewing this thread