Fixing a bird bomb blemish

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I plan on attempting on fixing a couple areas on my 93 hatch that I recently purchased. The main area is a spot on the hood that looks like a "bird bomb" as I call it.

I've talked with a few people on autogeek forum that recommended the Griot's Boss fast acting cream and correcting cream. So I'll give it a try with my Porter Cable DA. I'll be using a orange Lake Country pad and a white one to finish it up.

My question is, how much of the hood should I go over? This imperfection is on the passenger side of the hood.

I plan to clay bar the area I'll be working on.
d1c84229d89ec4d256d7993315a89b5d.jpg
73ea93b9a4a789144f3102fe46b53bc0.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Not too bad of a defect from your pic. I'd say you could just spot correct that area and see how it looks.

If you need to, hit the whole hood, shouldn't take too long and then you know it will be done.

Keep us posted. (and more pics/info on the Fox, looks great!)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not connect with Scott? He's a Pro. He's always quick to offer detailing advice and help when asked. My close friend is a pro-detailer. I've seen him get rid of imperfections like yours. It's amazing what really good detailers can do.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And just like that, Scott comes in on his own. (y)

I'm anxious to see photos after the correction.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not too bad of a defect from your pic. I'd say you could just spot correct that area and see how it looks.

If you need to, hit the whole hood, shouldn't take too long and then you know it will be done.

Keep us posted. (and more pics/info on the Fox, looks great!)
Thanks for the help!

I was thinking about just doing the whole hood. But maybe just hit that spot first and see how it looks. I wonder how much effort it will take to remove it?

Ideally, I'd like to go over the whole car. But I can't really hit it up with water and soap this time of the year.

As for the car, it's a 1 owner with 27,500ish miles. It's a pretty clean car. The seats have some minor stains, so I plan on removing the front seats and cleaning them up. I'll also clean up the rear seat.
b749a3eb8b41fcbfc2469976ffa51201.jpg
3e4bc41254b0308b83aee9bc24857e07.jpg
a87e74a3fac8b1d14dd182c1404cd3bd.jpg
9da57f7f93c037c332cf6363cb643a5e.jpg
5996024fbdebd112bdff42342873adbf.jpg
3d141f065f2952086ebecc486d741d7a.jpg

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Fantastic hatch! Love it!

You can always waterless wash it if it's not too dirty and go from there...

As for the spot: go slow. take your time, not in a hurry, and make sure you don't build up too much heat in a small area. Shouldn't take more than a few passes as long as it is not etched into the clear/paint.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Fantastic hatch! Love it!

You can always waterless wash it if it's not too dirty and go from there...

As for the spot: go slow. take your time, not in a hurry, and make sure you don't build up too much heat in a small area. Shouldn't take more than a few passes as long as it is not etched into the clear/paint.
I appreciate it! I may pick your brain if I run into trouble. I want to get more into detailing. I've seen a lot of your work, it's amazing!

I usually set the speed at 6 on my Porter Cable DA. Should I start slower?

I just ordered some Wolfgang waterless wash and this.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you!

No you are good. Run that sucker wide open.

Good deal. Spray it down liberally, use good MF towels, wipe her down!

OK, always happy to help if I can!
Awesome thank you I appreciate it!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally got the car back. I'd like to start doing a full paint correction on the whole car. Problem is I don't want to take the car out and wash it. Roads are full of salt.

I have some of this Wolfgang waterless wash and was hoping I could go this route. Then clay bar, then start polishing.

Is this okay?

535d7f4d3fcb4b1c6adf137d7d0ee319.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you hit the bird poo spot yet?
No just finally got the car back today. Looks like I could go over the whole car. Maybe I'll just start with the whole hood.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Never had this issue in South Carolina but when I got stationed in Corpus Christi, Tx damn seagulls. I got some seagull shit on my 04 Cobra's decklid and I mean into the clear. I did manage to get it out with lots of elbow grease and claybar. After that I not only waxed the shit out of the car but had a maintenance cycle of doing a different panel each week. After that the shit just wiped off like it was on grease. DAMN BIRDS.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

So tonight I decided to go over the whole hood in hopes of removing what I thought was a bird bomb. It almost seem like other parts of the car have this similar blemish, but only not bunched together like I'm showing in the first picture. I don't know how to describe it, other than it looks like very small hairline cracks. The very front of the hood in between the headlights has a lot of them.

The products and procedure I used didn't touch any of them. I only went by each section 4-6 times, then moved on to the next section.

I am a novice, so I could be doing something wrong. Do I need to work every section longer? Sometimes I don't get little scratches removed the first time either.

I used a Porter Cable DA polisher, along with:

- Lake Country orange and white pads.

- Griot's Boss fast acting cream.

- Griot's Boss correcting cream.

- Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealent.

I'm pretty bummed I didn't get this removed. I'm unsure what route I should go next.

Looking for some expert help!

Thanks.
10a83186a0aecabcc72b46496f901a1a.jpg
2885def898eb80596fee7a4f42fdd132.jpg
d37a83b860747df084a4efa4239b0ee3.jpg
967f21e396572f4fd41ec34caf866bdb.jpg
4836c1d13eda4214b77b68fa0b9bb8c7.jpg

ToddW702

Established Member
If you keep going over the spot does it start to shrink at all? You may have to polish that spot for a lot longer to get that out. On my phone zoomed in on the picture it looks kind of like oxidation? Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you keep going over the spot does it start to shrink at all? You may have to polish that spot for a lot longer to get that out. On my phone zoomed in on the picture it looks kind of like oxidation? Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Nope, it didn't change one bit. But if it's safe to work that area much longer I will.

Maybe I should buy a smaller backplate and pads.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like my old man's pickup. He had a ton of tree sap that hardened, and oxidized like that. Come to think of it I have some on my Cherokee too. We got most of it off, but the base looked like this.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brady, send Scott a message and ask him to come in for his input. By the way, is that area smooth to the touch, or can you feel something is on the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread