Flex > Rupes

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
So I've done 2 of 3 details so far this weekend. First detail is on a Black 370Z - typical swirls and scratches but those water marks/etchings were a different story. So I'm going through my usual process for test spots after washing and claying and my LHR 15 stops in the middle of it's second pass- seriously? I switch to the 3401 and it handles everything like a boss - happy client,fat tip. Great day. Today I'm doing test spots on an R32 GTR - sweet ride but swirl city I'm doing a section pass on the roof and it dies in the middle of my second section, for this reason I will NEVER buy another Rupes product. They are garbage as far as I'm concerned. I turned to the PE-14 and went to town - OMG, I should have been using this when it first came out a couple yrs ago. This machine corrects so fast it truly blows my mind.

I ended up doing a 2 step, PE-14 on an orange cutting pad and V34 and polishing with the VRG 3401 on a MF polishing pad with V38, sealing it up with JS109 and topping with Carnuba. Only took 6 hrs - what a day!!

Rupes = over-rated POS IMHO.

helloWorld

Established Member
I beseech of you to ignore my ignorance of these devices, but could it possibly be a safety feature to prevent one from burning through the clear coat by turning itself off when too much pressure it being applied to the surface under work?

oldmodman

Established Member
I have never owned a Rupes, but I have both types of Flexes. The forced DA and the Rotary and love them both.

They are both lighter than what i was using before (my Makita rotary). I still go to the Makita if I am working on something gigantic, like an RV or a boat.

What I like most about the design of the Flex is that both models stay cooler than what I was using before.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
When you say it died, do you mean the pad stopped spinning or the machine actually shut off?

The machine just died- it cut off. I adjusted the angle a couple of times and also gently shook it- it came on for about 30 seconds then just stopped. Nothing is loose. No rattles. I'm baffled. It's never been dropped or abused. I'm a bit disappointed especially since it was so damn expensive.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I beseech of you to ignore my ignorance of these devices, but could it possibly be a safety feature to prevent one from burning through the clear coat by turning itself off when too much pressure it being applied to the surface under work?

You have the basic concept of the DA polisher correct. However, in this case it was like somebody pulled the plug on it. I couldn't get it to even turn back on.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Are you using an underrated extension cord? I've seen my PC blip off because the extension cord couldn't handle the load.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Did the rupes feel like it was getting hot? I would definitely contact rupes, or whatever retailer you bought it from, and see if they can do anything for you.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Have you contacted rupes about it? That's gotta be a defective unit

Not yet - I got it through CG so I'll contact them and see if anything can be done. The time difference is killer though so I'll have to do it one morning before I go to work.

Did the rupes feel like it was getting hot? I would definitely contact rupes, or whatever retailer you bought it from, and see if they can do anything for you.

It always runs hot but I've never had it cut off on me. My 2 flexes run hot too - that's why I like alternating between the machines every 3-4 section passes. I don't want an overheating problem. Even in the shade here it gets stupid hot, plus the humidity is crazy.

Are you using an underrated extension cord? I've seen my PC blip off because the extension cord couldn't handle the load.

I made sure when I got the cord it was properly rated. Plus as a test I plugged it directly into the socket- still nothing. And my other 2 machines work just fine. I've used this place for almost 2 yrs, same cord, same sockets.

Last edited:

lpheaven

Established Member
sounds like its tripping out on heat. I bet it has an overload function and when it cools down itll come back on like alot of motors. Call em up

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
sounds like its tripping out on heat. I bet it has an overload function and when it cools down itll come back on like alot of motors. Call em up

It's definitely not the heat - I had some time on my hands this weekend because no one here wants to get their car detailed when it's raining, there has to be something loose inside. At certain angles it just cuts off. If I hold it flat it's fine, but as soon as it goes past 45 degrees it cuts out. Give it a good shake, return to a flat plane and it goes fine. But any excessive movement and or tilting it shuts off.

I'm done with it though. Flex rocks! I'm probably going to get the 2 GG's or a Harbor Freight for when I need to do smaller/tighter spaces. Rupes is mediocre at best. SOOOOO not worth the price.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I absolutely loved my Rupes, I switched over from a Flex as a matter of fact. The Flex just beat me to death, very muscular unit but too much for my bad back.

I think you just got a bad Rupes. Those things should be nearly bullet-proof!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I absolutely loved my Rupes, I switched over from a Flex as a matter of fact. The Flex just beat me to death, very muscular unit but too much for my bad back.

I think you just got a bad Rupes. Those things should be nearly bullet-proof!

I will concede Rupes is a bit easier to use. But both my Flexes correct far faster and therefore I'm not detailing as long. The GTR I worked on took just under 6 hrs with the Flexes- it would have easily taken 8 with the Rupes. Since I rent my stalls by the hr that def would have cost me.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's definitely not the heat - I had some time on my hands this weekend because no one here wants to get their car detailed when it's raining, there has to be something loose inside. At certain angles it just cuts off. If I hold it flat it's fine, but as soon as it goes past 45 degrees it cuts out. Give it a good shake, return to a flat plane and it goes fine. But any excessive movement and or tilting it shuts off.

I'm done with it though. Flex rocks! I'm probably going to get the 2 GG's or a Harbor Freight for when I need to do smaller/tighter spaces. Rupes is mediocre at best. SOOOOO not worth the price.

Sounds like something is loose, and when rotated breaks a connection. Definitely a bad unit. I would see about getting it replaced and trying a good unit before judging that harshly.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Sounds like something is loose, and when rotated breaks a connection. Definitely a bad unit. I would see about getting it replaced and trying a good unit before judging that harshly.

Even when it was operating "correctly" (I've done probably 30 details with it) the performance was lacking IMO. It would bog on odd shaped panels for example where the 3401 because of it's forced rotation would just power through it. As long as I was working on large flat panels during final polish It was fine. But other than that I wasn't very impressed. I'll try to get them to give me another since obviously it should have lasted far longer - but it'll be a back up only.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I just sold my Rupes, I really didn't want to but times are tough. I'll get another one day. Good luck with the repair!

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
My thoughts...

The Flex 3401is a direct drive forced rotation dual action polisher that does not bog down.
This can be useful in certain situations. The Flex has a counterclockwise rotation and so say it likes to walk.

The Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot dual action polisher has a free floating spindle assembly.
It is designed to bog down to prevent someone from burning through the paint.

NOTE: Rupes KB Washer Mod:
The Kevin Brown Washer mod removes all of the friction between the backing plate and the skirt on the LHR 15 or 21.
With a spacer between the backing plate and the machine's backing plate mounting pad, the anti-spin is disengaged
The machine will then deliver increased backing plate rotation, this increases cutting speed & delivers improved results.

[video=youtube_share;yhfVeRWx-Zw]http://youtu.be/yhfVeRWx-Zw[/video]

The Rupes 21 is unique because of its wide throw...this is the distance it travels from side to side.
The Rupes has a wider 21 millimeter throw, while the Flex has an 8 millimeter throw.
The Rupes 21 can prevent burning through the paint in vulnerable areas.

As a professional the Flex is perfect for paint correction on hard paints or average cars.
The Rupes 21 is perfect for expensive vehicles because it's less powerful and it is not forced rotation
This is safer on irreplaceable paint jobs. So each has its advantages and disadvantages.

So what's the bottom line. ..
The Flex 3401 and the Rupes LHR 21ES are the two best dual action polishers on the market.
It comes down to personal experience, preference and budget.

[video=youtube_share;CdXhKZbftig]http://youtu.be/CdXhKZbftig[/video]

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well said Merlinii - it's entirely possible I just got a bad unit with the Rupes as many of my peers have Rupes and have success with them. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I have just had better success with Flex, even with "sensitive/higher end paints." I've done a F430 and 2 BMW's with my 3401 - I'm doing a M3 this weekend with my Flexes as well. At the end of this month I'll be doing an R34 GTR. I have absolute confidence in the Flex Twins.

Adower

Established Member
I had a rupes and ran into the machine stopping like you said. It only did it at certain corners/angles. It's a well documented issued. I bought a flex 3401 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread