Fluid for magnum trans

D-MANN

Established Member
What fluid is everyone using in their magnum trans?Anyone using royal purple fluid?search function is down.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not sure what was in mine when I got it but it shifted great.

I drained it when pulling it for a driveline swap and refilled with royal purple, did not like how it shifted.

I refilled with Amsoil ATF this time around but havent been able to drive it yet...I think Mobil 1 would be fine as well (the mobil 1 synthetic ATF IS approved by tremec for this trans now

D-MANN

Established Member
not sure what was in mine when I got it but it shifted great.

I drained it when pulling it for a driveline swap and refilled with royal purple, did not like how it shifted.

I refilled with Amsoil ATF this time around but havent been able to drive it yet...I think Mobil 1 would be fine as well (the mobil 1 synthetic ATF IS approved by tremec for this trans now

Great thanks for the feedback. Yes my search found Mobil 1 as being approved by tremec and it's easier for me to get a hold of. Search found amsoil being recommended strongly as well.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Amsoil ATF

+1 mine loves the stuff. Spent a lot of time researching what fluid when I got mine. A lot of guys use synchromesh too but since the case says Dexron III and tremec says only synchromesh for the TKO 5-Speed I went Amsoil Signature ATF. I think I started a magnum fluid thread on here a couple months back.

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
DO NOT use RP, that is what I have in there now and as soon as it gets hot its terrible. I am swapping out for Pennzoil syncromesh

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
DO NOT use RP, that is what I have in there now and as soon as it gets hot its terrible. I am swapping out for Pennzoil syncromesh

Yeah I ran across some info back in the day saying RP (ATF not Synchromax) is a no go and bad for the laminate on the synchros or something to that effect. Buuuuut, Jimmysidecar says they use Synchromax in all theirs so who knows. I'm no expert but spent a lot of time reading others experiences with different fluids. I'll tell you I noticed a marked improvement in the Amsoil over the Coastal ATF I used for the break-in. From what I gathered from Tremec the ATF provides enough bearing lube while letting the modern synchro material to function properly. Synchromesh is a bit slippery for the friction material, at least that's the Internet consensus. :shrug:

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member

Thanks for the heads up on that. I had some RP that I was going to use on my stock t56 but then I sold that trans and got the magnum. I was going to put the RP in now that the magnum is broken in. I went and got some Mobil 1 today.

Woody6799

Established Member
Yeah I ran across some info back in the day saying RP (ATF not Synchromax) is a no go and bad for the laminate on the synchros or something to that effect. Buuuuut, Jimmysidecar says they use Synchromax in all theirs so who knows. I'm no expert but spent a lot of time reading others experiences with different fluids. I'll tell you I noticed a marked improvement in the Amsoil over the Coastal ATF I used for the break-in. From what I gathered from Tremec the ATF provides enough bearing lube while letting the modern synchro material to function properly. Synchromesh is a bit slippery for the friction material, at least that's the Internet consensus. :shrug:

I used Synchromax.... its coming out bc its trash...

oldmodman

Established Member
Amsoil ATF

+1 mine loves the stuff. Spent a lot of time researching what fluid when I got mine. A lot of guys use synchromesh too but since the case says Dexron III and tremec says only synchromesh for the TKO 5-Speed I went Amsoil Signature ATF. I think I started a magnum fluid thread on here a couple months back.

Yep. I tried the Mobil 1 Synthetic and it was better than whatever Ford put in there stock. But I still had a hard time shifting into third from second.
Then I drained it and put in Amsoil ATF. It shifted much better, but still wasn't perfect.
Replacing the clutch quadrant, and getting an MGW shifter took care of the rest.
I stuck with the Ford clutch cable. And I did it so long ago I was able to get the Fiore adjuster and quadrant.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yep. I tried the Mobil 1 Synthetic and it was better than whatever Ford put in there stock. But I still had a hard time shifting into third from second.
Then I drained it and put in Amsoil ATF. It shifted much better, but still wasn't perfect.
Replacing the clutch quadrant, and getting an MGW shifter took care of the rest.
I stuck with the Ford clutch cable. And I did it so long ago I was able to get the Fiore adjuster and quadrant.

You sure youre talking about the Magnum T56? last time I talked to MGW they didnt have a shifter for the Magnum due to some odd gear spacing and he hadnt come up with anything he was happy with.

I did get to drive the car a bit with the Mobil 1 and the second gear issue I had with RP is gone, it all around shifts better now.

oldmodman

Established Member
You sure youre talking about the Magnum T56? last time I talked to MGW they didnt have a shifter for the Magnum due to some odd gear spacing and he hadnt come up with anything he was happy with.

I did get to drive the car a bit with the Mobil 1 and the second gear issue I had with RP is gone, it all around shifts better now.

Correct. I just got an email back from MGW and they said that they will not be making a shifter for the Magnum.
And I mentioned what fluids I had used in the stock T-56 before I got my Magnum since for all intents and purposes they are nearly identical internally. Except for the improved blockers and syncros and gear widths, it likes the same fluid(s). Another important addition is the internal oil pump that keeps everything fully oiled inside. And of course the case has been beefed up considerably.
Unfortunately it is just a finicky about the clutch pivot ball height with some clutches as the T-56 was. I almost wish I had gone with a hydraulic clutch modification considering how much I had to fool around to get it "just so". But I will admit, I much prefer the clutch feel I get with a direct cable connection. The hydraulic clutch in the later Mustangs just doesn't seem to give me as much "pedal feel"

Two other things that made a difference (at least in my car) was the grease I used on the clutch ball and the TOB tube. I have fallen in love with Permatex Extreme Ceramic Brake parts Lubricant. It is the slickest grease i have ever used. You don't even need a visible amount on the parts. it seems to last forever and it doesn't drip due to heat (not that I put on enough to ever drip). One can has lasted me for my entire life so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-241...words=Permatex®+Ultra+Disc+Brake+Caliper+Lube

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll have to look into the caliper lube.

Thankfully when setting up my magnum trans I had the engine sitting on a pallet, made it sooo much easier to adjust

Users who are viewing this thread