Flywheel resurfacing in Dallas/Garland???

Jocko

Established Member
Does anyone know of a shop (preferably Garland) that resurfaces flywheels?

Thanks,

Mike

Jocko

Established Member
I "should" have; but I didn't...

Dude, I deliberated over this but long story short (too late), I bought this car used with low miles and the clutch chattered like crazy form the day I drove it off the lot. I had to replace a TOB and while I was at it I found that the sleeve was snapped. Figured I'd replace the clutch while I had it all out and found the flywheel to be serviceable. I chalked the chatter to the flywheel being warped from the previous owner/Ford torqueing the bolts WAY too tight (loctite notwithstanding).

While I won't tell you what I "scuffed" the flywheel with- I will say that I am VERY pleased with the results. Virtually no chatter (it's an aluminum flywheel after-all) with a "pretty much" off idle-start with no issues.

I've got a boss that tells me all day long you should've done it this way so I got pissed at your post that directed me how I should've done something instead of directing me to some sort of solution to my original query. I have had a couple of Beam and cokes (hence the long post) so I'll just say that it's not ALWAYS neccessary to replace you flywheel if it has no cracks or hot spots. Was I smart? No, but it worked out.

The end. TA DA!

AaronK

Established Member
Dude, I deliberated over this but long story short (too late), I bought this car used with low miles and the clutch chattered like crazy form the day I drove it off the lot. I had to replace a TOB and while I was at it I found that the sleeve was snapped. Figured I'd replace the clutch while I had it all out and found the flywheel to be serviceable. I chalked the chatter to the flywheel being warped from the previous owner/Ford torqueing the bolts WAY too tight (loctite notwithstanding).

While I won't tell you what I "scuffed" the flywheel with- I will say that I am VERY pleased with the results. Virtually no chatter (it's an aluminum flywheel after-all) with a "pretty much" off idle-start with no issues.

I've got a boss that tells me all day long you should've done it this way so I got pissed at your post that directed me how I should've done something instead of directing me to some sort of solution to my original query. I have had a couple of Beam and cokes (hence the long post) so I'll just say that it's not ALWAYS neccessary to replace you flywheel if it has no cracks or hot spots. Was I smart? No, but it worked out.

The end. TA DA!

You wont tell everyone your secrect to scuffing a flywheel??? Wow, I'm so intrigued :bored: Whatever works for you :rollseyes

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
Next Time!

Future info:

The Napa in Garland (Plano rd. and Forrest).
A miriad of machine shops off of Jupiter\executive.

Jocko

Established Member
You wont tell everyone your secrect to scuffing a flywheel??? Wow, I'm so intrigued :bored: Whatever works for you :rollseyes

I 've reread my post and I apologize! I feel like an idiot for coming off like a jerk. That's what I get for getting sloppy and posting on the internet but I'm sorry if I offended you.

I "scuffed" it with a random orbital, followed by successively finer grits of emory cloth. I would be skeptical of anyone who told me they went after their flywheel with a powertool, (even though a random orbital is not inherently aggressive) hence the reluctance to admit such! I wasn't trying to remove material so much as CLEAN it of clutch matter and prepare it for new clutch matter.

I am, however, a machinist by profession and understand tolerences and parallelism and what-not and would have preferred to do it myself but I don't have a blanchard grinder. My colleagues couldn't direct me because it seems that fewer shops do this kind of work, so I figured I 'd just post up here to ask to see if anyone had any experiences with the "NAPA" type places. I'm sure they source it out, but I don't know. I hadn't even seen the flywheel when I posted, I just had the transmission off and was aniticipating having the flywheel resurfaced.

Anyway, sorry AaronK for being a douche, I hate that kind of s**t, and thanks WOMACK03 for the tip.

Mike

AaronK

Established Member
I 've reread my post and I apologize! I feel like an idiot for coming off like a jerk. That's what I get for getting sloppy and posting on the internet but I'm sorry if I offended you.

I "scuffed" it with a random orbital, followed by successively finer grits of emory cloth. I would be skeptical of anyone who told me they went after their flywheel with a powertool, (even though a random orbital is not inherently aggressive) hence the reluctance to admit such! I wasn't trying to remove material so much as CLEAN it of clutch matter and prepare it for new clutch matter.

I am, however, a machinist by profession and understand tolerences and parallelism and what-not and would have preferred to do it myself but I don't have a blanchard grinder. My colleagues couldn't direct me because it seems that fewer shops do this kind of work, so I figured I 'd just post up here to ask to see if anyone had any experiences with the "NAPA" type places. I'm sure they source it out, but I don't know. I hadn't even seen the flywheel when I posted, I just had the transmission off and was aniticipating having the flywheel resurfaced.

Anyway, sorry AaronK for being a douche, I hate that kind of s**t, and thanks WOMACK03 for the tip.

Mike

It's all good. You mentioned that you had a little to drink in that last post so that's why I didn't get all upset and go off on you lol... If it works, that's all that really matters, there's always a preferred way to do things but that doesn't mean it's always the only way to do things. Anyways, glad everything is working well.

Users who are viewing this thread