Flywheel weight

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Does anyone have a stock flywheel they can weigh or know how much a stock one weighs? When I assembled my coyote swap project, I had a stock 03/04 cobra flywheel I used. I now need to replace the clutch, so I'm thinking of going with a stock coyote flywheel. I would just like to know the weight difference before I pull the trigger on a new one. Thanks guys!

Voltwings

Established Member
Boss is an 8 bolt and GT is a 6 believe, so t hey're not strictly interchangeable. Do not quote me on that, but i believe that is the difference between the two. I do not however, have the weight of either for you.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Boss is an 8 bolt and GT is a 6 believe, so t hey're not strictly interchangeable. Do not quote me on that, but i believe that is the difference between the two. I do not however, have the weight of either for you.

Ok Voltwings, thanks for that info. I'll check into it. Im just trying to decide on how heavy of a flywheel I should get.

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
My car is an April 2012 build and has the 8 bolt flywheel. For street use I would stick with the stock flywheel. The lighter flywheels are a bitch to drive in stop and go traffic.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
My car is an April 2012 build and has the 8 bolt flywheel. For street use I would stick with the stock flywheel. The lighter flywheels are a bitch to drive in stop and go traffic.
Thanks for the input! I have the 12lb Cobra flywheel in there now and it is a little tricky to drive in traffic.

AKDMB

Established Member
Just weighed mine on an old bathroom scale lol, I got 24/25 lb's. The coyote's have 8 bolt flywheels, at least on the crate motors. I would say that weight is pretty close though. Also, did you have to do a crank position relearn after swapping flywheels on your coyote?

Last edited:

LS1 KILLER

Established Member
Mine is 22.2 off of my swap motor. I have changed taken the flywheel off a couple of times and never had to do the crank relearn.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Thanks guys. When I first assembled this project I knew nothing about the relearn. Now its got me wondering if I will need to do it after the clutch/flywheel install.

twistedneck

Established Member
Why and how do you do a crank position relearn?

Its a dealer thing, will cost 1hr of labor usually about $80 bucks they take the engine to xx rpm and perform the neutral profile relearn, needed whenever you swap a clutch. Usually results in a random misfire code could be P0300 or P030xx that are false.

I run an aluminum flywheel with a very light weight single plate clutch and there is no issue bogging down in traffic with the vct coyote.. even with the cj monoblade throttle body and cams.

Users who are viewing this thread