Fog Light Rewire (Independent of Headlights)

blksvt10th

Established Member
I know there are how-to's about this already, but none really explain which wire colors or anything that specific on how to do the rewire. By fog light rewire, I mean to have the fog light switch work independently from the headlights. I did this on my 2003 Cobra and it works flawlessly. I'm making this write-up quite detailed so even the newbie-cobra owner, never had a wrench in hand, can do it.

In stock form, the fog lights could only be turned on and off when headlights (or just the parking lights) are turned on. This can be annoying to anyone who just wants the fog lights on, because they'd have to have the headlight or parking lamps on, causing the interior dash lights to also light up.

With this easy mod, you can turn the fog lights on and off without turning on the headlight or parking lights. The fog lights will then work by themselves, with the parking lights, and with the head lights. Also important to point out, the fog lamps will still turn off when the hi-beam headlamps are activated (illegal to use both hi-beams and fog lights in some if not all states)

Step 1: Remove the shift boot bezel. To do this, first unscrew the shift knob. then slowly pry the bezel out, starting from the top and working your way down to the bottom. It may be tricky, slow and steady pull until it pops out. be careful at the bottom, there is a solid plastic tab that may break if you yank on it once it pops out. Pull out the bezel and unplug the cigar lighter connector.

Step 2: Remove the center console bezel. To remove this bezel, start from the bottom and work your way up. It'll pop out just like the shifter bezel. Once it pops out, carefully tilt it downwards so you can access the connectors for the fog light, tc, and defrost switch. Unplug these switches. (The gray connector is the TC, the Purple connector is the fog light, and the brown is the defrost in case you mess something up and can't figure out which is for what)

Step 3: Go to the fog light connector and find the brown wire, this is the 12v power supply. Cut the brown wire about two inches away from the connector (so you will be able to splice the wire later and leave yourself some room in case you ever wish to go back to the old setup). Cap off the end of the cut wire that is not connected to the connector. secure it with some electrical tape. Strip a little of the insulation off the end of the brown wire that is going into the connector (about 1cm so do the trick)

Step 4: Time to find the harness that is located to the left of the shifter ( driver's side, its a large black harness that is secured to the inside of the shifter area). It's hard to miss. Unplug the harness so it is easier to work with. Find the White/Purple wire that is coming out of the harness. (You should notice that that wire, along with the solid purple wire does not have a connection in the male end of the harness... this is true for coupes, as for covertibles, I really don't know). Back to the White/Purple wire, tap into this wire with 12 or 14 gauge wire(I did not cut the wire in case I wanted to go back to the original setup in the future). The wire you'll tap into the White/Purple wire with should be at least 12" long to begin with (you can always trim down any excess later). Once you tap into the White/Purple with your wire, you're ready for the next step.

Step 5: Run the wire that you tapped into the White/Purple wire to the fog light connecter. Connect the wire to the Brown wire that you cut earlier in step 3. I used the standard butt connector and crimped both ends of the connector.

Step 6: Clean everything up with electrical tape in case any connections come loose. Now test it before putting everything together. Pull the Switch out from the center console bezel by squeezing the snaps and pushing the switch out (it pushes out, towards the side of the bezel that faces the ****pit). Plug the switch into the fog light connector and turn the inginition of the car into the "on" position. Test it out, they should turn on and off without the headlights on.

Step 7: Put everything back together. You should consider moving the TC switch closest to the driver's side at this time, as it is more accessable there as opposed to the center position. If you do this, look at the switches and notice that they have a notch cut into them so they fit into the factory desired locations. You'll have to make new notches into the bezel to fit the switches into "your" desired location.

Some folks don't like this mod, but I personally think this is the way fog lights should be. But it's ultimately up to the driver/owner. You can now turn on your fog lights whenever the car is "on." This is also nice, since if you leave the fog lights on and shut the car down, they will automatically turn on the next time you start your car (and since they turn off when you shut down your car, you won't drain battery). Also to note, don't be alarmed! ... When you hit your door lock button on your keychain twice your fog lights wont blink when the horn sounds (but your tail lights and sidemarkers still will). Just a small drawback, but otherwise it's golden.

Hope this helps anyone that may be interested in the rewire. It's a lot easier that you'd think.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Good write-up ...
Here are some photos that vipergts281 posted a while back, and they go along with what you've said. I had them on one of my Web Pages ...

fog03a.jpg

fog03b.jpg

fog03.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Got bored and decided to do it. Piece of cake. Its kind of like having daytime running lights. Great write up and nice pics.

Thanks fellas

Aaron

metaman

Established Member
My foglights can be turned on by themselves from the factory. The headlight knob on my car has two steps. If you just pull it out to the first step only the foglights come on. :shrug:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
In other words, the fog lights come on with the parking lights? Every headlight switch I've ever seen had two steps ... first step was for parking & marker lights, and the second step was for headlights and marker lights. With the exception of a few three step switches (like on my Dodge truck).

The purpose of the mod is to run the fogs independently of the other lights.

Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread