Fog lights wont work but switch works... Cant figure out why... HELP!!!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Well fellas,
After hours of messing with this damn thing i'm reaching out for some help. I installed a DDMTuning 55w 6000k High/Low HID kit in the headlights with the harness and they work just fine (although i do hear a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side ballast). Doesn't seem to cause any issues. Im just not sure if that noise should be noticeable?

Anyway, back to my big problem. I also bought a matching 55w 6000k kit for the fog lights with the recommended relay harness. I have both harnesses installed and the headlights are working perfectly. The fog lights on the other hand do not work. The weird thing is the switch for the fog lights has power because the light comes on and off when i press it. I did the wiring mod on the switch to be able to run fog lights with markers only (tapped into the white/purple convertible harness) and also removed the relay and installed a jumper wire in the fuse box that would allow me to run the fogs with the high beams if i want to.

The issue with the fog lights not working was already a problem before i did these wiring mods. I was actually hoping by doing them that it would also fix my lights. Well... Switch still has power both with markers only and with the high beams on (so my wiring mods were obviously correct) but still no power to the bulbs.

I even tried bypassing the HID harness and HID's all together to see if the standard halogen bulb would work on the factory fog light harness like it used to and it doesn't work now.

Anyone else had an issue like this??? I mean what else could it be? The switch is obviously good. The relay is bypassed so thats eliminated. What else is between the switch and fog lights themselves that could be causing my problem??

This thing is driving me nuts!!! I know it has to be something simple that i'm missing. :fm:

Last edited:

1sickcobra

Banned
I cant help u on the fog ligth issue man, but i can tell you for sure that clicking noise u hear coming from the passenger side is not a good sign at all, i had the same issue for my drivers side and next thing u know the bulb stopped working. Just a heads up. O by the way thats the reason why i stopped buying HID kitts from ddm tunning, as those were the 3rd set i had got and they all had the same issue, but good luck to you man

mrose75

Established Member
I have DDM Tuning Hi/Lo HIDs as my headlights, those work fine. Hooked up my HID fogs and nothing..... Haven't really tried to troubleshoot them yet. But at some point I'm ditching the DDM Tuning Headlights and going with a Yukes set up.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the replies fellas! Wish y'all had a solution for me. Lol

I got tired of messing with it and just zip tied all the wires up out of the way for now. Ill deal with it later. Taking the car to cars and coffee in a few hours and as much as I would have liked to rock the HID's in the fogs too, I'll live without them for now. I don't think my issue is the kit though because my factory halogens don't even work anymore in the factory harness. I have an issue somewhere between the switch and the bulbs. Just not sure where to start.

Oh... And as far as the noise I hear... Its not a ticking noise at all. Its more of a subtle hum/buzz u can hear if you're paying attention to it. Just a little more noticeable than on my other car but doesn't seem to be causing any issues. The buzz is a little louder when they're warming up. Once they get to temp, it goes away for the most part.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Well that might be normal then. Maybe it just wasn't as noticeable on my other car because of the ballast location. On this one, their right there behind the headlight housings so they're easy to hear when its quiet and the hood is open.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
have you checked the fuses and also the relay?

there is a fog lamp relay under the hood.

also no need for a jumper harness to keep them on with the high beams. just remove one of the post of the relay.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
have you checked the fuses and also the relay?

there is a fog lamp relay under the hood.

also no need for a jumper harness to keep them on with the high beams. just remove one of the post of the relay.

I checked the little fog fuse under the dash which appears to be good and I swapped my relays to see if they'd work and the result didn't change. If a fuse or relay was bad though, I wouldn't have the light come on on the switch itself right? I can also hear the relay click when I push it. I assume both fuse and relay are good. I'm assuming its a wire issue between the switch and bulbs.

As for the jumper, removing a prong and using the jumper is essentially the same thing right? Both serve the same purpose. Or does the relay still give protection?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
does your hid kit have red/blk wires with little prongs that go into the connector?

try switching them around. my hid kit was that way but it had a plug in connector and it was ass backwards. I had to just trim the lock off of it and then used a zip tie to secure it and it has worked like a charm sense then.

I don't think you have a car issue or hid issue but rather an install issue...

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Yeah, my connectors all have the black/red wire leading into them. I tried flipping them around with no luck. The factory connector plugs directly into the ballast right and then the ballast into the harness and HID bulb wiring?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Yeah, my connectors all have the black/red wire leading into them. I tried flipping them around with no luck. The factory connector plugs directly into the ballast right and then the ballast into the harness and HID bulb wiring?

let me back up

when you tried to reinstall a factor bulb it did not light up or it does work?

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
It did not light up. The bulb could be bad I suppose because I took them out and threw them in a bucket with a bunch of other parts. I already had one fog bulb out anyway so I only have the one good one to work with (if its still good). The little filament looks all intact but to be safe... I'll buy another factory fog bulb just to be certain that I'm not getting power and that I'm not doing my testing with a bad bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread