Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins dead at age 50

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
RIP. way too young at 50.

Taylor Hawkins, the drummer for the Foo Fighters, Alanis Morissette and his own band, is dead.

The Foo Fighters announced his death with a post that reads, in part, "The Foo Fighters family is devastated by the tragic and untimely loss of our beloved Taylor Hawkins. His musical spirit and infectious laughter will live on with all of us forever."

The band is in Bogota, Colombia where they were scheduled to play Friday ... and that is reportedly where Taylor died. So far, there are no further details about where or how he passed away.

Taylor had substance abuse issues in the past, and actually survived a 2001 heroin overdose.

Along with Dave Grohl, Taylor was the most recognizable face of the Foo Fighters, which he joined in 1997. Just last year, he and the group were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Prior to joining FF, he'd been the touring drummer for Alanis and also for Sass Jordan.

As the band noted, Taylor was such a cool outgoing guy -- with fans, and even the media. The last time we got him out was last September in NYC, where he was having some fun with autograph seekers and his bandmates.

While he's remained with FF, Taylor also started his own side project ... a band called Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders.

Taylor and his wife Alison have 3 children -- son Oliver Shane and daughters Annabelle and Everleigh. The band's statement adds, "Our hearts go out to his wife, children and family."

Taylor and his Foo Fighter bandmates were supposed to headline Lollapalooza Brazil on Sunday night. Obviously, that gig is now up in the air.

Taylor was 50.

RIP

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Wow, that sucks. He seemed pretty cool when they would let audience members come up and play the drums with them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Saw that this morning. I guess it will be a few days before a cause of death is released.

Reaper14

Established Member
I was always a fan of the FF. Caught them in concert in Wichita. He was doing the tour where his leg was broken & they had to fabricate a mechanical chair for him to move about the stage. Was gonna catch them again but they went woke & were one of the bands that would only allow vaxxed zombies to their concerts. Son caught a blurry picture of him when he yelled out "Where are all the weed smokers at?". I was upfront & only one that yelled in my area so he pointed at me & started the song. I screamed like a little girl lol, sadly no longer a smoker.
20150930_210350.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I was always a fan of the FF. Caught them in concert in Wichita. He was doing the tour where his leg was broken & they had to fabricate a mechanical chair for him to move about the stage. Was gonna catch them again but they went woke & were one of the bands that would only allow vaxxed zombies to their concerts. Son caught a blurry picture of him when he yelled out "Where are all the weed smokers at?". I was upfront & only one that yelled in my area so he pointed at me & started the song. I screamed like a little girl lol, sadly no longer a smoker. View attachment 1743282

I saw them in concertin LA while he had that crazy chair lol. I really liked their music before but had no idea in concert it was just a big screamfest; like he always wanted to be a hardcore headbanger.

Taylor always looks like he’s having a blast while playing. Maybe now we know why…

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Reaper14

Established Member
Yeah I thought it was so cool that they kept the tour going despite of his broken leg. It was the same year Adele canceled her concert due to a cold or something like it & Drake as well. I would tell my son "See the difference between rock & rap, a bunch of whinny snowflakes & men". I no longer believe that.

blackfang

Established Member
Saw that this morning. I guess it will be a few days before a cause of death is released.
Nope. They said they found 10 substances in him ranging from Marijuana, tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and opiods, etc according to toxicology. Personally I think that's ****ing odd they can find that out in 1 day.

Anyways. RIP dude. A vibrant drummer who was taken too soon.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Yes, they ARE preliminary, but it is what it is. I expect the official toxicology results will just confirm the preliminary results. This shouldn't be a shocker by any stretch. Drug use today is much worse that it was decades ago in the rock world. Sad that the lives of so many, both young and old, are destroyed by it.

C2tuck

Established Member
As much as i liked the foo fighters, i can't feel sorry for people who do this to themselves.... I do feel bad for their families.

I agree to an extent. Being a hobby drummer myself, Taylor was one of todays greats on the kit, and I’m sad to see him go.

As for drugs, I’m sure it starts small as something to calm the nerves before a sold out arena show, then as the tolerance builds up and new things are added, it snowballs until the OD.

I’m not saying drugs are good, I think it’s just a slippery slope that starts with very small amounts.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I agree to an extent. Being a hobby drummer myself, Taylor was one of todays greats on the kit, and I’m sad to see him go.

As for drugs, I’m sure it starts small as something to calm the nerves before a sold out arena show, then as the tolerance builds up and new things are added, it snowballs until the OD.

I’m not saying drugs are good, I think it’s just a slippery slope that starts with very small amounts.

I don’t think it’s the drugs he “ did “ perse

It’s the MIX of drugs. I used to do a shit ton. But I NEVER mixed. Especially anti psychotics with powders.

The concoction they say he was on couod
Have killed a damn horse

Users who are viewing this thread