? for those that have done the Expy console mod

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
it sounds like everything is there.
All you need is the seat pan, adjustment junk, the inner slider which is where the seat belt is and floor bolts.

once you pull your stock seat apart you will cut off the metal bolster and weld it onto the expy seat pan then take the seat pan, the stock seat foam and stock cover to your upholstery shop and turn them loose.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
it sounds like everything is there.
All you need is the seat pan, adjustment junk, the inner slider which is where the seat belt is and floor bolts.

once you pull your stock seat apart you will cut off the metal bolster and weld it onto the expy seat pan then take the seat pan, the stock seat foam and stock cover to your upholstery shop and turn them loose.

thanks mike,

now, what is the metal bolster? first time I am hearing about it

do I weld it to the expy seat pan on the same spot where it was on the Lightning seat pan?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Your good with the Expy seat as long as it is manual. You can tell them to remove the seat back and toss it. It would save you money on shipping. You just need the lower section (seat pan/frame down).

These parts and the two seat tracks are all that you need from the donor seat for the seat conversion. You will need to buy a seat belt buckle for the Expy setup but it is a much better setup than using the factory seat belt buckle. They are pretty cheap. Just order a drivers side seat belt buckle (female end) for your truck.
DSCN2363.jpg

The side bolster that Mike is talking about is on your factory seat pan.

DSCN1232.jpg

I cut it off:
DSCN1233.jpg

and weld it to the donor Expy frame:
DSCN1235.jpg

All you need to do is measure the bar on the factory seat frame and install it in the same spot on the new frame.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
thanks mike,

now, what is the metal bolster? first time I am hearing about it

do I weld it to the expy seat pan on the same spot where it was on the Lightning seat pan?

Not a problem man.
The metal bolster is shown in Erics pics :)
Its on the edge of the stock seat pan...you will want to cut this as it will make a WORLD of a difference in how the seat feels.
here are my pics

pan1.jpg

pan3.jpg

pan4.jpg

pan5.jpg

pan6.jpg

pan7.jpg

pan8.jpg

Also note that I took the black plastic/metal edging and cut it to fit the new seat pan...and yes I know my welding skills arent exactly professional...but the shit holds :D :p
make sure you measure where your stocker is and then when you cut it youll wanna put it exactly in the same area on the expy.
Do you have to do this? Nope. But does it make a difference...yes!
without the bolster the seat is kinda "floppy".
If you need any help or what not, feel free to drop me a PM dude or give me a call

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
Hey Jose was that seat manual or power?

it's a manual seat Matt

You can tell them to remove the seat back and toss it. It would save you money on shipping. You just need the lower section (seat pan/frame down).

thanks Eric and Mike, those pics of the bolster really help:thumbsup: I didn't know the Lightning seats had that.

yeah I told the guy that I would buy the whole seat but I wanted him to ship only the bottom part so it would be easier and cheaper and told him to include all the mounting bolts, and the passenger seat belt buckle,
or do I need the driver seat belt buckle?

now, what about the plastic trim that goes on the bottom of the seat, he told me that the interior on that Expy is color tan/cream,

do I reuse my stock plastic trim or do I have to paint the trim that comes with that seat?

sorry for all the dumb ?'s but I want to have everything ready for when summer arrives.

BTW still waiting for my HD console, you'll be hearing from me pretty soon Eric.:-D:beer:

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
This is the Expy seat track with the seat belt buckle bolted on.

DSCN2211.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

You would need to order one from Ford for your drivers seat and just bolt it on the passengers seat. I can look to see if another dealer has one at cost minus. I found one for $20 for Mike when he did his.

I can just put it in the console when I ship it back to you.

E

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
it's a manual seat Matt

thanks Eric and Mike, those pics of the bolster really help:thumbsup: I didn't know the Lightning seats had that.

yeah I told the guy that I would buy the whole seat but I wanted him to ship only the bottom part so it would be easier and cheaper and told him to include all the mounting bolts, and the passenger seat belt buckle,
or do I need the driver seat belt buckle?

now, what about the plastic trim that goes on the bottom of the seat, he told me that the interior on that Expy is color tan/cream,

do I reuse my stock plastic trim or do I have to paint the trim that comes with that seat?

sorry for all the dumb ?'s but I want to have everything ready for when summer arrives.

BTW still waiting for my HD console, you'll be hearing from me pretty soon Eric.:-D:beer:

With the manual seat you will also need to flip the "adjustment" bar/handle jobbie and redrill the holes...otherwise it wont work right in our truck. If youd like Ill take a pic for you this weekend. But if you look closely at the adjuster bar youll see one side has the holes "welded in" you just wanna drill those welds out and you are good.
As for the plastic trim...i reused my stocker...I just needed to buy a new christmas tree push pin...autozone had a perfect one, if you do like me and cut the head off take it with you to autozone...youll find a pack of 4 that as perfect!
Also for the floor pan bolts...you only really need one wince you arent going to reuse the "gold" zinc plated bolt at all.
As for the seat belt...all you need is the inside rail slider...the seat belt should be bolted to the thing already. however if the plastic is tan...youll need to pick up a new "latch" assembly or paint it...id buy a new one.
Like i said man, if there is anything you need give me a shout and ill help where I can.

This is the Expy seat track with the seat belt buckle bolted on. You would need to order one from Ford for your drivers seat and just bolt it on the passengers seat. I can look to see if another dealer has one at cost minus. I found one for $20 for Mike when he did his.

I can just put it in the console when I ship it back to you.

E

This^
And it made a WORLD of a difference in every way shape and form, and well worth the added cost.

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Actually, if he uses all of the Expy stuff he will not need to drill anything. The entire lower assembly gets used just like it came out of the donor Expy.

MJG

Established Member
I am currently doing this exact thing right now, I quickly looked at my mounting point on my trucks floor....I know I have to tap the hole (once removed the rubber) and bolt the front in, BUT since I didnt have much time looking into it....it doesnt seem that the back corner of the floor bracket will reach the mounting point where the buckle is installed, should it?

MJG

Established Member
I lifted the carpet slightly to see if there were any other holes with grommets to tap but as far as I can tell I should be able to mount to where the stock seatbelt setup was.
PS I bought the new female end buckle from Ford for $30.00

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I am currently doing this exact thing right now, I quickly looked at my mounting point on my trucks floor....I know I have to tap the hole (once removed the rubber) and bolt the front in, BUT since I didnt have much time looking into it....it doesnt seem that the back corner of the floor bracket will reach the mounting point where the buckle is installed, should it?

you wont be mounting the buckle to the floor if you use the right bracket brother.

I lifted the carpet slightly to see if there were any other holes with grommets to tap but as far as I can tell I should be able to mount to where the stock seatbelt setup was.
PS I bought the new female end buckle from Ford for $30.00

my holes were covered in a "foam" tape and not a rubber plug. but as far as the seat belt goes...like I said if you got the right slider...you wont be bolting the seatbelt to the floor at all. Itll be bolted to your slider like your drivers side.

MJG

Established Member
Yes I know, I have the shorty buckle which I have installed to the actual pan.
Im talking about actually mounting the seat to the floor.
Does the rear left mounting point of the seat line up and bolt into where the stock seatbelt was bolted in?
I know I have to tap the hole in the front left...wasnt sure about the rear,,

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Yes I know, I have the shorty buckle which I have installed to the actual pan.
Im talking about actually mounting the seat to the floor.
Does the rear left mounting point of the seat line up and bolt into where the stock seatbelt was bolted in?
I know I have to tap the hole in the front left...wasnt sure about the rear,,

once you put the mounting brackets onto the pan itll just drop right in please.
I must be getting confused at the way you are wording this, however beign at work isnt helping my train of thought much right now

here are your floor brackets mounted by themselves.
bracket2.jpg

and the console brackets by themselves
mili1.jpg

in the first pic, are you speaking about the "golden" looking bolt?
also youll want to ditch that golden bolt and get another "rubber bumper" bolt.

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
Hmmm well I got my pan with the bolts included plus I have my stock bolts, I'm assuming I could re-use an extra stock one in place of the gold.
And yes that's what I was talking about, I wasn't quite sure if the bracket actually bolted right into the 'golden' section where the buckle was originally installed.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread