For Those With The Hood Mod...

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Have you had any negative effects (on the engine\hood liner) from the open vents due to rain\precipitation?

How often do you close the vents (I have my flaps tucked in the hood liner) or are you lucky enough to have a garage?

When washing the car, do you leave the flaps open, or close them and what long term effects can occur from water pouring into the engine bay from the hood?

Sorry for all the questions.

Here are a few pics of how my hood blanket mod looks:

http://www.mikestoyz.com/misc/03cobra/020103mods/HTML/index.htm

Thoughts\Comments

:beer:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I have my hood blankie entirely off, I have left the vent open during a wash once or twice, the water runs down between the radiator and engine, I even have left them open in the rain, other than having to detail my engince compartment it hasn't hurt anything. BTW the hood blankie came off 20 miles in to the cars life and I have about 5000 on her now, no problems

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
I took mine off also. No problems, but I clean my engine every time I wash it. Any water getting to the engine by rain/ washing etc. will not hurt it. Just don't let it go too long before detailing it.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have my blanket removed, and I tore the flaps off of the vents. No problems, I don't garage it, and I have been through about every type of weather possible (including ice/snow). No problems, other than the engine bay will get dirty after a while :(

Lomancobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
I have my hood blankie entirely off, I have left the vent open during a wash once or twice, the water runs down between the radiator and engine, I even have left them open in the rain, other than having to detail my engince compartment it hasn't hurt anything. BTW the hood blankie came off 20 miles in to the cars life and I have about 5000 on her now, no problems

Do you garage the beast up there in Alaska?

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
Do you garage the beast up there in Alaska?

That is an interesting question.

Thanks for the reply's.

If anyone is interested, I have 6 feet left, enough to do the hood mod. Just drop me a pm or an email.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I do not drive it in the winter, it is covered and stored. I start her every day....I miss driving her though, thats why I am at this site so much.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Making sure you take care of the engine compartment is important. Any crub that covers the engine could hurt it's ability to disapait heat. For people in the southwest this could be a real problem

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Just got the digital camera up and running and wanted to post this pic. ED. note, the water marks were there BEFORE the mod was done.

Last edited:

OverToad

Established Member
Just some food for thought here..........

I've read that several people had the blankets replaced under warranty for water damage.

If your thinking of doing this mod, then I suggest you try and get a brand new one through your warranty, then mod that one.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I just finished my hood mod. I bought 25' of the Flex Trim and have some left. I would sell it for what I paid per foot if anybody is interested shoot me a PM.($1.75 per foot) I have 19' left. That is enough to do three more cars.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by byevette
Thoughts\Comments

I think you should have taken your time and tryed to maybe make it look a little better. Neither of the sides match very well and look kinda odd. You can also tell where the trim stops on both sides. Just my opinion though. :)

I've had no problems with mine so far but mine hasent really seen much water other than when i wash it.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I dont have my vents opened but speaking out of what little knowledge I do have about engines, unless you have a broken seal where moisture could seep inside something somewhere that it shouldnt be, I wouldnt think it would hurt it by having it open straight to the engine in the elements. If anything it'll keep it nice and cool. :)

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Re: Re: For Those With The Hood Mod...

Originally posted by lifter213
I think you should have taken your time and tryed to maybe make it look a little better. Neither of the sides match very well and look kinda odd. You can also tell where the trim stops on both sides. Just my opinion though. :)

I've had no problems with mine so far but mine hasent really seen much water other than when i wash it.

Lifter213,

I appreciate your taking the time to comment: however, in the future, when I make a post, keep your opinions to yourself.

I TOOK MY TIME AND CAREFULLY PLACED THE LINER BACK UP AGAINST THE HOOD TO CONSTANTLY COMPARE MY CUTTING AND HOW THEY FARED AGAINST THE HOOD VENTS. COMPARED TO SOME OF THE OTHER JOBS I HAVE SEEN ON HERE, MY HOOD MOD LOOKS PRETTY DAMN GOOD!

(For everyone who pm\emailed me about the flex trim, application steps and quality of work, thanks.)

"IN MY OPINION", the hood mod looks great. If the sides do not match, they are off only fractionally.

"Look kinda odd"? What "kinda" thing is that to say? Why don't you post some pictures of you car for everyone to critique? I for one would love to see your Roush Wing...as well as your hood mod.

Lifter213 if yours is so perfect, post some pictures...otherwise STFU!:)

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Did you have to order the flex trim... I have been to a few auto parts stores and a few hardware stores... I can't find that stuff... I have already done the mod, no water damage or adverse affects to date... I have washed the car several times and been through a few t-storms...Believe it or not, no water damage to the hood blankie... The water should pretty much fall between the radiator and accessories....

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Did you have to order the flex trim... I have been to a few auto parts stores and a few hardware stores... I can't find that stuff... I have already done the mod, no water damage or adverse affects to date... I have washed the car several times and been through a few t-storms...Believe it or not, no water damage to the hood blankie... The water should pretty much fall between the radiator and accessories....

I bought the Flex Trim from West Marine. I was talking to Hunter about this and told him about WM, although, I am not sure where he bought it from.

So you know the part # is: V30-1312B25-1
A:3/8"
B:5/8"

Hope this helps.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: For Those With The Hood Mod...

Originally posted by byevette
Lifter213 if yours is so perfect, post some pictures...otherwise STFU!:)

Actually - I have seen his hood mod - that is why I decided to do mine. I think it is one of the better ones I have seen.

If you are going to post pics of your work in an online forum and ask for opinions, don't get so pissed when someone gives it to you. If you are so thin skined, keep your pics to yourself.

BTW - just to show I am not a hippocrite, here is mine:

Dans Hood Mod

Users who are viewing this thread