Forced Induction: Whipple or Twins

ANGREY

Established Member
See that wedge area under the whipple torque line and above the stock torque line at the left (low end)…..THAT is what most guys are trying to solve.

The area under the power lines on the right of the graph are great, but what MOST guys are wanting is the experience they're LONG accustomed to with driving torquey V-8's. That's why the whipple is considered so often.

Look at the massive jump of the whipple over the stock at the onset (in torque).

That means for guys who don't want to downshift to make the car "go", they can mash and move. It also happens to be a big factor in why the 350 is such a challenge to launch effectively.

Rev too much to get the torque/clutch momentum and you spin. Don't rev enough and you bog. Improving the low end torque makes the car a lot more predictable at launch (or at least common place and familiar to most guys).

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I see the ~70-90wtq you’re talking about, it’s neat and spiffy. When driven you’ll come to the conclusion it’s a hair torquier off idle than an e85 gen 3 coyote with full bolt ons and tuned. The whipple falls short of turning a gt350 into a gt500.

^look at all that Smokey lost oh, it bogged.

Similarly, people that put blowers on boss 302’s didn’t match the off idle torque of a gt500, but the transmission gearing of the mt82 (or tr3160 in the gt350) coupled with a 3.55 or 3.73 rear end can make 400wtq almost feel like 600wtq does in a 3.08 rear 28” tire trinity gt500. Throw a 3.73 in a trinity and you’ll see what big block torque at 2k feels like. Hellcats and zl1’s feel very torquey at 2k because of that overal recipe of gearing and torque

It’s also why it’s much easier to launch a gt500 trinity car than a manual zl1 or a manual hellcat

Last edited:

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
No one said we are trying to get the feel of a GT500 (I think at least). I have been reading A LOT on these cars and I am leaning way more towards a Procharger D1X. I LOVE their setup with a it's own drive belt as opposed to Vortech. I just don't like the placement of the filter. Last car I had with a Procharger on it was a built 96 Cobra with T56, D1SC head unit making 600+rwhp. I loved the sounds that car made. I think it would compliment the feel of the GT350 really well and they don't really produce that much more heat, doesn't muffle the beautiful sound of the exhaust like turbos do, and sound cool as hell especially with the open race valve. Mine may get one next year. We shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
^not a bad route at all, centri would basically feel like a super healthy NA mill.

If you do a turbo system without cats or mufflers, but with resonators, it wont be quiet or muffled at anything accept maybe warm idle.

Users who are viewing this thread