• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Ford and Toyota get in bed together!

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by OutKast, Aug 22, 2011.

1. OutKast

OutKast SVT=Fast Established Member

Ford and Toyota working together, what do you think about this?

Ford, Toyota to work together on hybrid trucks - Yahoo! News

If the venture is successful this would probably benefit Ford much more because of their reliance on trucks and suvs. The question is will people buy hybrid trucks to tow and haul with.

2. thomas91169

thomas91169 # of bans = 5203 Established Member

If they can make a reliable drivetrain with the power to haul and tow shit equal to their internal combustion only counterparts (at least the gasoline ones), I dont see why not. Unless youre one of those tards that "gotta have mah vee eight!" in which case you need to shoot yourself in the face.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

3. Orange Dreamer

Orange Dreamer Member Established Member

I want to know if the extra cost of the Hybrid engine will be worth it for the extra fuel economy. I don't want to pay an extra $10,000 for a Hybrid engine that only gets 4 MPG better than the $750 dollar twin turbo V-6.

4. WireEater

WireEater Dumpster Baby Established Member

Join ventures are nothing new. I like the fact that two competitors can work together. It should be interesting at least to see what comes out of it.

5. 99cobra302

99cobra302 Active Member Established Member

wire eater is right, these types of collaborations are very common in the auto industry. a couple that come to mind are Pontiac Vibe - Toyota Matrix, VW Tourag - Porsce Cheyanne, that new Scion Coupe thing (FT-86) and what ever the Subaru version will be.

6. mysterio

mysterio Well-Known Member Established Member

That's right, and don't forget that the small Mazda p/u truck from a few years ago was pretty much just a re-badged Ford Ranger. Ford and Toy should both benefit, as both have strengths in areas that the other may not.

7. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt My shit don't stink Established Member

That's a different situation. Ford used to own a minority of Mazda, hence there are a lot of "cross-company" cars between the two companies, like the Ford Probe and the Mazda MX6.

8. 16kOrBust

16kOrBust Active Member Established Member

I admittedly know very little about hybrid motors, but I recall hearing on multiple occasions that battery motors make gobs of torque. If this is the case, then I would think this could be worked into a major benefit for hauling and towing vehicles. Granted there are a thousand other variables, but just a thought.

9. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt My shit don't stink Established Member

Not only do electric motors make a ton of TQ relative to engine size, but they develop 100% of it at 0 RPM.

10. Mika

Mika Active Member Established Member

Toyota would benefit from the years of R&D of making a damn solid truck, and Ford would benefit from the years of R&D of making a hybrid battery. Not a bad idea, sounds like a win-win for both, and eventually to the consumers.

Mika

11. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

I'm waiting for a diesel locomotive car.