Ford F-150 V6 Engines Outsell All Competitors Combined

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ford F-150 V6 Engines Outsell All Other Competitors Combined

IMG_0048-edit.jpg

With its powerful and fuel-efficient 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine, the 365-horsepower Ford F-150 EcoBoost® is outselling all other competitive six-cylinder trucks combined.

The new EcoBoost V6 is one of four new fuel-efficient engines Ford introduced in the F-150 for 2011. Another of those new engines – a 3.7-liter, 302-horsepower V6 – also outsells all other competitive V6 engines in full-sized trucks from Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge and Toyota.

According to sales data from J.D. Power and Associates, both new Ford truck V6 engines accounted for 79.5 percent market share of V6 full-sized trucks sold in July.

The Chevrolet Silverado takes second place with 12.1 percent market share, followed by the GMC Sierra with 4.0 percent, the Dodge Ram with 3.5 percent and the Toyota Tundra with 0.9 percent. Nissan does not offer a V6 in its Titan pickup.

In July, Ford sold 49,104 F-Series trucks. The EcoBoost V6 accounted for 40 percent of the mix, while the 3.7-liter took 16 percent of sales. This is the third consecutive month that V6s have outsold V8s in the F-Series. The last time the V6 outsold the V8 in America’s most popular truck was 1985. Year to date, the F-Series has sold 313,183 units, 8 percent higher than a year ago.

“Both of our new V6 powerplants are changing the way customers think about truck engines,” said Doug Scott, Ford’s truck group marketing manager. “The 3.7-liter has more horsepower than two of the three V8 engines we offered in last year’s F-150. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine, at 365 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. torque, is in a class of its own – no one has anything even remotely close to this engine, which can tow as much as 11,300 pounds and deliver 22 mpg.”

Fuel efficiency, along with best-in-class performance, is another reason the two new Ford F-150 engines are rewriting the book on V6 truck sales. The 3.7-liter F-150 carries an EPA rating of 17 mpg city and 23 mpg highway, while the F-150 EcoBoost is EPA certified at 16 mpg city and 22 mg highway, making it the most fuel-efficient truck with more than 350 horsepower on the market.

The hot-selling F-150 EcoBoost is now the highest volume vehicle in Ford’s growing global family of cars, trucks and SUVs available with the company’s patented fuel-saving technology.

:beer:

C9A1L1L

CALL EM!
Established Member
Kinda pointless... Especially when the F150 is one of the most sold vehicles PERIOD in the world, considering this, its not surprising nor impressive... :shrug:

These figures only matter when reduced to a percentage.

And that's coming from an "F-150" owner.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
It is definitely impressive. I don't think it's just an opinion anymore that ford has the best line-up of vehicles out there.

ZROTOWTF

Established Member
Kinda pointless... Especially when the F150 is one of the most sold vehicles PERIOD in the world, considering this, its not surprising nor impressive... :shrug:

These figures only matter when reduced to a percentage.

And that's coming from an "F-150" owner.

they sold 4 times as many V6 trucks in July as Chevrolet, Dodge, GMC and Toyota put together...how is that not impressive.

P.S....i think you would argue with Jesus, just sayin

C9A1L1L

CALL EM!
Established Member
I'd do some math for you guys but I can tell by your comments it'd go over your heads.

Having such a large share of all vehicles sold is EXTREMELY impressive. The F150 kept Ford out of the dog house and afloat while the other big 2 needed Govt. assistance. HOWEVER having such a commanding amount f sales period is naturally going to mean you will lead said category. NOT leading it would be more disappointing where as leading is expected.

Unlike the other makers their V6 is not their flagship motor in their trucks. Many trucks can not even be purchased in higher trims unless it is the V8 base or better. What I am sayin is the numbers would be naturally bloated. F150 sales have always been astounding hovering around the 1 or 2 spot fighting with the corolla for over a decade.

Maybe my wording made it sound more rash than intended but hopefully it was better explained.

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
I'd do some math for you guys but I can tell by your comments it'd go over your heads.

Having such a large share of all vehicles sold is EXTREMELY impressive. The F150 kept Ford out of the dog house and afloat while the other big 2 needed Govt. assistance. HOWEVER having such a commanding amount f sales period is naturally going to mean you will lead said category. NOT leading it would be more disappointing where as leading is expected.

Unlike the other makers their V6 is not their flagship motor in their trucks. Many trucks can not even be purchased in higher trims unless it is the V8 base or better. What I am sayin is the numbers would be naturally bloated. F150 sales have always been astounding hovering around the 1 or 2 spot fighting with the corolla for over a decade.

Maybe my wording made it sound more rash than intended but hopefully it was better explained.

The F150 isn't what kept Ford's head above water. It was good leadership and fiscal responsibility. They kept their model line-up tighter than the competition and stopped building legacy crap like the Contour.

If you remember... they kept building the limited run Cobra Jets and Raptor pickups which don't make them the gobs of dollars that their standard model line-up offers. Ford was able to do that and stand on their own without government intervention.

Ford spent an ungodly amount of money changing their ENTIRE V-6 & V-8 engine lineup in a span of about 2 years. I believe the only engines they kept unmolested were the 4 cylinder ones.

Dodge is still rolling with the same HEMI motors from 6+ years ago. :nonono:

Last edited:

kleistang

Established Member
The F150 isn't what kept Ford's head above water. It was good leadership and fiscal responsibility. They kept their model line-up tighter than the competition and stopped building legacy crap like the Contour.

If you remember... they kept building the limited run Cobra Jets and Raptor pickups which don't make them the gobs of dollars that their standard model line-up offers. Ford was able to do that and stand on their own without government intervention.

Ford spent an ungodly amount of money changing their ENTIRE V-6 & V-8 engine lineup in a span of about 2 years. I believe the only engines they kept unmolested were the 4 cylinder ones.

New 2.5s instead of 2.3s

still ford has the best line up of cars than any other company

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member

Well said...

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

Please do the math and we will see if it goes over anyone's head.

So one Ford 6 cylinder Truck is outselling all other brands of 6 cylinder trucks combined and that is not impressive?

You justification stems from how well F-150 sold in the past? What would impress you. No other Vehicle maker sold a single 6 cylinder truck in a year?

Users who are viewing this thread