Persistance Is A Bitch
- May 18, 2012
I'm no expert, but the way I see it is similar to the Apple vs. Android or Apple vs. Wintel. Big companies should not become their competitors, but must carve their own way.
Is it really worth it for Ford to chase Tesla into a natural 10 to 15% market share area? Should they focus on what their customers expect while continually trying to delight them and stay relevant or ahead (and reliable) in the remaining 85% of the market? If I were in charge, I'd have a skunkworks division off on its own researching, developing, and releasing limited run BEV's to be sure the company knows this tech and how to make it work, waiting for a future yet to arrive. Meanwhile I'd focus the real business on ICE and synthfuel as the future.
The big three have enough trouble staying relevant, profitable, and reliable with product they've been making for 100 years.
Remember, the EPA 2028 proposed emissions will cause many ICE to disappear. 2027 might be the last year of V8 Mustang.