Ford GT Almost Guaranteed Let Down

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Just curious, to get one of these cars an application needed to be filled out and one of the questions was about the applicants social media presence ? Is this correct?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Just curious, to get one of these cars an application needed to be filled out and one of the questions was about the applicants social media presence ? Is this correct?

From @DBK

for like the 11 millionth time (luckily I'm bored this fine morning), this is both completely and provably false. That's not remotely close to what actually happened but it has become the apocryphal tale of Ford GT allocations. I don't even know what the percentage was in the second round, but just about 70% of the allocations originally made went to people solely because they owned 2005/2006 GTs. The remainder were mostly dealers, big fleet customers, technical and racing partners (NASCAR/IMSA), a smattering of collectors. The "social" category was virtually non-existent.

I've asked like 50,000 times and nobody ever responds. Show me, out of 1,350 allocations, a nice round 13 people that got an allocation because they are a social media influencer. Should be easy based on the widespread notion that's who was given an allocation. Realistically it's mainly Shmee and Jordan Maron, and honestly, both those ****ers deserve a trophy for what they've done with their cars. Shmee especially, and Ford doesn't do the guy any favors despite the fact he is a walking, talking advertisement for the car.

The truth is the vast majority of GTs in the U.S went to boring old people you will never see that own old Ford GTs. Period. That's who owns expensive collections of Fords, that's who owns the 05/06 for the most part, and that's who has $500-600k laying around to pay for a car.

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...rd-gt-ford-performance.1189420/#post-16472295

C0bra99

Established Member
I've recently driven one of these new 2000-HP 4-motor electric supercars (I won't say which one, it's not important). It's very fast in a straight line, and the way it pulls from 60-100+ reminds me of my CobraJet drag car. But ... man, it's not very nice to drive. It's heavy, the noises are all weird electronic sounds, including some synthesized to cover for the lack of a motor, and tire thrum, and it feels like a high-powered appliance. I asked myself if it's what I would choose on a Saturday morning, and honestly it fell well below the NFGT or 812 GTS (both of which I'd also recently driven).

I'm not at all anti-electiric; I have a Porsche Taycan Turbo S, and it's a great commuter car and a nice way to cover miles. But it's also not the car I choose when the driving is for joy rather than transportation.
Some people get caught up on semantics and can't see the complete picture. I could drive a gutted out fox that has 1500+ HP, but I Don't live a quarter mile at a time:)

blk02edge

Established Member
I've spent a bunch of time reading on the 17+ FGT forum and it's almost exclusively old generic no name rich dudes. Fact is there are 1350 of these cars and I bet you can't name more than 10 celebrities/influencers who own one.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've spent a bunch of time reading on the 17+ FGT forum and it's almost exclusively old generic no name rich dudes.

I feel personally attacked :D

Kidding aside, I applied for a FGT in the first round and I have a substantial social media presence w.r.t. cars, owned (and raced!) both a CobraJet and a Boss 302S, and am (ahem) a generic middle-aged rich dude. However I did not at the time own a previous gen FGT. I got flat turned down. So my personal experience matches DBK's assessment.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Kidding aside, I applied for a FGT in the first round and I have a substantial social media presence w.r.t. cars, owned (and raced!) both a CobraJet and a Boss 302S, and am (ahem) a generic middle-aged rich dude. However I did not at the time own a previous gen FGT. I got flat turned down. So my personal experience matches DBK's assessment.

what are your impressions of the road car? If you said much about it I've missed it

blk02edge

Established Member

You are of those those 10 lol

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You are of those those 10 lol

Hah!

Actually the story of my GT is more interesting. Although I got turned down for the GT allocation, I wasn't particularly mad about it - I figured (a) I'm known as a Ferrari owner and (b) there must be thousands of people with more Ford history than I had. So, onward.

Because I liked my Boss 302S racecar so much, I ended up ordering a Mustang GT4 from Ford Performance back in early 2018, and got to know the team at Multimatic a bit during the process. And after they figured out I could drive we ended up chatting more about the GT4 and how it could be made to corner better (suspension settings, ride height, etc.)

So then, in mid 2018 I got a text from my guy at Multimatic which said "... we're considering a track-only version of the Ford GT... what do you think?" and my immediate response was "oh HELL yes." I was one of a handful of guys they apparently contacted while creating the business case for the GT MK II, and since enough of us committed, the project got green-lighted and I got the first customer delivered car. I did them proud by hooning it around the racetrack (and not binning it; they were definitely nervous!) - and not long after that, my application for round II of the Ford GT street car was approved. And the rest is history.

what are your impressions of the road car? If you said much about it I've missed it

I love it. The V6 engine note and the Ti exhaust are unique, raspy, heavy bass notes, and a lot of fun - different from the normal V8 turbo sound, in a good way. The handling is spot on, great turn in and rotation and balanced. The aesthetics are just off the chart - even in solid colors, it looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous and people (even in other supercars) wave and honk. It's definitely more of a performance car than the previous generation - lighter, faster, louder - and stands out in our own stable as a unique ride.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Well I'm a middle aged nobody that bought a GT in 05, and still have it. Near ZERO social media "presence". That car plus a several mustangs, and other Fords was our ticket to our 2018. No plans to sell it.

And yes, Ill echo the comments above, the NGT is really quite good on track. Sounds good, and is even better with the Heffner (exhaust on the MKII).

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I’m over it. Decided to buy a beach house in Hilton head shortly after I was denied, which has been, weirdly, a better investment, and now in the process of building a house. Wasn’t in the position to spend $150k on a Ford gt when they came out, and I’m in the car buying penalty box for at least another year.

Users who are viewing this thread