Ford GT Aluminum block motor in 2000 Cobra R #177

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, don't forget about us up here in the Great White North. I think our car would definately hang with any other Cobra R out there.
No Doubt!

I had forgotten about Tim's car. He doesn't have as much free time as the rest of us to waste his time on the internet. ;-)

I wasn't even sure if the car was still active. Obviously, I was mistaken. :shrug:

TB00R.gif

Bruce is obviously going to need to "step-up" a bit and stick larger tires on his car.

How in the world do you guys keep a transmission in these cars? I can't believe the stock transmission could take that much power (with that much tire grip)? What type of clutch is used?

TimB

Established Member
Pacific raceways photos [http://www.adamhoseyphoto.com/images/Events/IRDC-5-2008/IRDC%20May%202008%20-%20Mustang/IRDC%20-%20May%202008%20-%20Mustang/index.html[/URL]

TimB

Established Member
Thanks Bruce , not sure how that link ended up the way it did in my post .
The shot with the bmw's was in qualifying , it's a spec class (pro 3) and they had around 28 cars .I have to get down to pregrid first or I can't get a clean lap (50+cars in group) and then I hold up the cars behind on the out lap and that gives me a 2 lap shot without traffic.That photo was in turn 3a and the pro 3 guys were getting impatient.

Tim

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man you guys are nuts with these cars:rockon::bowdown:!

I'm still lookin for one near Louisville for a quick ride lol. I actually know where one is with probably under 1,000 miles but I can't get a ride in it:cuss:. It's only about 10 miles from me.

Billy Madrid

Established Member
Hey Biggest Johnson;

"Tim's is all G-force gears now, and we are running a Tildon twin disc for a clutch now (sheared the center out of our last clutch)."

I need your advice. My car has a Quaife transaxle and uses a dual plate clutch. I think my plates need to be replaced and I looked all over for "Tildon" plates as I assume that if it works on the "Bad Ass" ride you are involved with, it should work on my little girly car. I couldn't find any Tildon references except for an old rental car company in Canada. I could find some Tilton race parts, but the were mostly brake parts.

What would you recommend for my 5.5" system. I know yours is 7.25", but I don't think the additional 1.75" means that much. Remember its how you use it that counts!!!!!!

Billy

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Hey Biggest Johnson;

"Tim's is all G-force gears now, and we are running a Tildon twin disc for a clutch now (sheared the center out of our last clutch)."

I need your advice. My car has a Quaife transaxle and uses a dual plate clutch. I think my plates need to be replaced and I looked all over for "Tildon" plates as I assume that if it works on the "Bad Ass" ride you are involved with, it should work on my little girly car. I couldn't find any Tildon references except for an old rental car company in Canada. I could find some Tilton race parts, but the were mostly brake parts.

What would you recommend for my 5.5" system. I know yours is 7.25", but I don't think the additional 1.75" means that much. Remember its how you use it that counts!!!!!!

Billy

Tilton driveline components

Tilton main site

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
What would you recommend for my 5.5" system. I know yours is 7.25", but I don't think the additional 1.75" means that much. Remember its how you use it that counts!
BT gave you the links.

It's not "how you use it" but "what you need to use it for". Tilton makes "race only" stuff. When they manufacturer a small clutch and flywheel system, you'll find that the engine will rev up quicker. It's because there is less flywheel/clutch/pressure plate mass for the engine to turn. What you lose is streetability. Heck, a full race clutch system will not let you even drive your car in a trailer (you must push or wench it in).

I know guys that use real road race clutches. They have to tow their car to the grid (since you can blow up the clutch trying to drive it down to the grid). Their crew helps "push" the car off from a dead stop (again, it'll wreck the clutch if you aren't careful). They also tear down the whole assembly after each race in order to verify wear on the competents. They will "power" out of a corner faster than me, but that comes with a high price tag.

You must exactly follow their instructions perfectly as to "Why are Tilton bellhousings blueprinted for parallelism and concentricity". These things only work well when speced to a few thousands of an inch. The sell "offset" bellhousing bolts so you you can dial that sucker in perfectly every time. Otherwise, you will tear up a few thousand dollars in parts.

After one increases the horsepower on a car, they will quickly find many other "weak areas" in the entire car. I have a simple formula. It will cost you $20K for every $10K of engine horsepower improvements.

Tim may disagree, and we promise not to tell his wife about the costs if he wants to share this with us. :-D

I previously thought that women were expensive. (Here):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Spitzer_prostitution_scandal

Spitzer paid her $4,300 in cash. The payment included $1,100 as a deposit with the agency toward future services.
Now I think that women are cheaper than racing. :beer:

I'd never suggest that any racer would ever need to pay money for services (politicians do :pepper: ).

Billy Madrid

Established Member
Thanks Guys, I Was Just Joshin'

First, thanks to both b tone and 1995Cobra-R for their help. I really appreciate you making the efforts to help me.

My response above was just a stab at Biggest Johnson as Tim Brown, Wayne and I all know each other and thats why there are a ton of inside jokes when I respond to threads.

I really appreciate 1995Cobra-R's response as he carefully explained to a neophyte what living with a race clutch would be like, :thumbsup:. Good work and well said. In real life I actually own the ex-Mumm Brothers Cougar World Challenge car and have a 2 disc Quartermaster 5.5" clutch on it with an 8 lb flywheel. The car has 13.2 to 1 compression and it picks up revs like a light switch. It only makes 315 hp and weighs approx. 2200 lbs. That is why I said that I had a "little Girly Car".

For anybody that is interested here is a link to a website that explains most of who I am and what I am doing and also explain the RX7 El Camino reference,

http://www.nummelinmotorsportgroup.com/

You know it takes a lot of fun out of the joking if you guys take it seriously.

Billy

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
First, thanks to both b tone and 1995Cobra-R for their help. I really appreciate you making the efforts to help me.

Thanks Billy. BT also knows more about a race car than most people have forgotten. BT can drive the shit out of a race car (but don't tell him that :-D ).

Your car is very cool.
BM.gif

I am sure that the guy in the brown shirt is looking for a Ford engine? :D

My response above was just a stab at Biggest Johnson as Tim Brown, Wayne and I all know each other and thats why there are a ton of inside jokes when I respond to threads.
You will fit around here just fine. We hardly ever do much of anything except give each other grief. However, we always give the moderators a dose of double grief. ;-)

You know it takes a lot of fun out of the joking if you guys take it seriously.
This site is the best in the world for:
  • BS
  • Sending a thread off-topic in a heartbeat
  • Bragging about how fast we are
  • Posting pictures of half-naked girls
  • Just being gearheads that love to race
  • No political stuff (no same-sex marriage stuff allowed) :dw:
  • Guns

Don't expect much more around here, but we always have fun.

Summary:
Hot babes;
ashlee.gif

Fast cars;
Bruce33.gif

Users who are viewing this thread