Ford GT Nurburgring time?

Formula51

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
did I ever say this, stop trying to start arguements. :nono:

But its so fun. You and I both know where each other stand on this one.

On a side note. I got engaged today!!!!! Woohooo!!!!!

hk4site

Established Member
It looks like chevy is making an attempt to show the world what it can do at the ring. In the latest motor trend GM spent some time in tuning the suspension to the track and riped off a 7:32. I do not see Ford doing this, maybe they are concerned that a Z06 will meet or beat a GT. I was thinking of purchasing a GT after the prices stabilize, now I am thinking saving a 100 big ones and purchasing a Z06. Until Ford runs the GT at the ring there is no way to compare the two cars or any other car. The darg strip or magazine articles is no way to compare any car.

Big 8

Established Member
hk4site said:
It looks like chevy is making an attempt to show the world what it can do at the ring. In the latest motor trend GM spent some time in tuning the suspension to the track and riped off a 7:32. I do not see Ford doing this, maybe they are concerned that a Z06 will meet or beat a GT. I was thinking of purchasing a GT after the prices stabilize, now I am thinking saving a 100 big ones and purchasing a Z06. Until Ford runs the GT at the ring there is no way to compare the two cars or any other car. The darg strip or magazine articles is no way to compare any car.

Oh really and why not? Lets see magazines. Mag racers. Or maybe pros, who do nothing but drive cars day in and day out for the last twenty five years! Guys who have attended every drivers training course known to man. Guys who get to take every single new car and beat the sh!t out of it. Testing at Laguna Seca, Infenion, Willow springs. Yep none of this counts, because they didnt run the fabled Ring???????? :shrug: Well I guess if you live close then you could be concerned, however if you live here in the states who gives a sh!t? Yuor not going to take your car there for the weekend anyway.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
you would call the Ford GT shit because a car tuned for Nurburg beat it? Shit the Ford GT beat the Ferrari CS that was tuned for the topgear track, not only that but you could see stig wasn't drving the car like he should, I don't think they wanted an American car on the top board. Just like the time they had a drag with the C6 and went through the gears like they were 5yo. Give the Ford GT credit it isn't tuned for any one track but still beats cars on the tracks they are actually tuned for.

Formula51

Established Member
Top Gear and many of the magazines will do just what you said FordGTGuy, sandbag the American cars. This is no secret and as long as you keep it in perspective it wouln't piss you off TOOOO bad.

As for the comments about track times and professional drivers. There are som mags with serious professional drivers. There are also many TRAINED magazine drivers that run times Joe Shmo can run at his local track after a few trips to the track. Magazine racing is fun, but what actual owners are running is really what matters.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe we have any road course times for the Ford GT other than Top Gears!?!? Thus, we don't really know what it is capable of at the well known tracks mentioned above.

Last edited:

Big 8

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Top Gear and many of the magazines will do just what you said FordGTGuy, sandbag the American cars. This is no secret and as long as you keep it in perspective it wouln't piss you off TOOOO bad.

As for the comments about track times and professional drivers. There are som mags with serious professional drivers. There are also many TRAINED magazine drivers that run times Joe Shmo can run at his local track after a few trips to the track. Magazine racing is fun, but what actual owners are running is really what matters.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe we have any road course times for the Ford GT other than Top Gears!?!? Thus, we don't really know what it is capable of at the well known tracks mentioned above.

I will look but there are times for it at the Streets of Willow, as Well as I believe Mid Ohio and Laguna Seca, maybe even Vision. There was also a test against FCS and GT?
at Gingerman? Not sure if that counts becuase it is pretty small?

As far as Carrera GT goes, have to agree with the above. It was tunned for the ring and driven by Rohl. Lets see what the average driver gets? I would say take a great enthusiast driver and add 15-25 seconds to walters time. The only way to get the equal out of the FGT would be take your team there tune it for two weeks, include Hans Stuck in the process give hem a few hundred familiarization laps then shoe it with the same rubber and let him run!

Formula51

Established Member
Seriously, find me those lap times and confirm if the car was stock down to the tires, except for the safety stuff of course. I have looked all over for times and so have others and we have had no luck. Let is know what you find and post some links or sources please.

Big 8

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Seriously, find me those lap times and confirm if the car was stock down to the tires, except for the safety stuff of course. I have looked all over for times and so have others and we have had no luck. Let is know what you find and post some links or sources please.

I did not bring it in but I did write them down. As far as confirming what the hell mor can I do then read the articale? Did you go to the ring and ride shotgun whel Rohrl ran his supposedly 7:28 or was that the day the ring was rented and closed to all but Porsches PR department?

The cars were run at Gingerman, Ford Gt vs. Challenge Straddle vs Carrera GT3. This was in Jan 2004

The Ford beat both by a margin of 2.4 seconds on the GT3 and 2.5 If I remember against the Ferrari. All three bone stock. GT had optional PCCBs and Pilot Cups, Stradle had P-zero Corsa, R comps as well. Ford Goodyears.
This a tight ass little course. If anything hadicaping the FGT. Car and Driver.

The FGT was run against the F430 and a few others DB9, Carrera Turbo vert, PCCB equipped. There were also a Merc and Gallardo in the test. Gallardo brok and ran a DNF. Course was streets of willow. Short again and tight hadicapping the FGT. The F430 lost by mere tenths of a second.
This was last months Car and Driver This was last months issue.

Last edited:

ali b

FordGTGuy said:
i don't even know if the Ford GT ran the Ring yet, It has run LeMans I think.

there is no way the z06 is faster round the ring than the carrera gt and the mclaren F"!
for one thing porsche have a testing bay at the nurburg and spend a lot of time there.
also the mclaren F! weighs about 200% less than the z06 has more power and still holds many records in g-force, acceleration and stopping.
also the time here says that z06's time is a manufacturers estimate.you yanks will never engineer a car better than the brits its not possible. you need to bring the weight down a little boyz.
and stop using engines that weigh more than england

ali b

the ford gt is a very cheap looking copy of a car that was pure class and grunt.
and its got focus switch gear inside. whats that all about

satx

Banned
ali b said:
the ford gt is a very cheap looking copy of a car that was pure class and grunt.
and its got focus switch gear inside. whats that all about

yup.....alluminum, carbon fiber, magnesium and leather look real cheap.

Vic

Established Member
ali b said:
there is no way the z06 is faster round the ring than the carrera gt and the mclaren F"!
Jan Maggnussen (sp?) ran a 7:42, I think. Jan states through his personal friend (whom I have an aquaintence with in Denmark) that it was a regular ZO6, and NOT the "Blue Devil" concept, which, btw, is 1000HP and keeps blowing up. But I digress...
ali b said:
also the mclaren F! weighs about 200% less than the z06
Do you want to rethink the mathematical implications of that statement? Go slow, start with what just "100%" less weight would mean.

has more power and still holds many records in g-force, acceleration and stopping.
No argument here, but don't ever think you can rest on your laurels. Times keep changing, records keep falling.

you yanks will never engineer a car better than the brits its not possible.
We'll make you eat those words.

and stop using engines that weigh more than england
The Chevrolet LS7 produces a prodigious amount of power for its size and weight.

British, huh? Well, there's a cute style of myopia and iconoclasm for you. Brits talk of the USA like it was just the colonies. Yes, the British Empire was glorious at some point in the past, but "there's no England now". You ever hear of the lend-lease act of WW2? It was the USA that bailed Britain out. And now Tony Blair is our biatch, so take that, you stuffy, pompous, mypoic, whoops, sorry, got carried away there.

Brits will never concede victory to an American design, even if it whips their ass on the Ring. Its something about being British, where you only feel comfortable looking down on the USA with disdain. USA, the country that put a man on the moon, invented the laser, radio, integrated circuits, processors, video tape, and in short just about evey signifigant invention of the modern era. Ok, well, maybe thats a little stong.

Look at it this way- You idolize the McClaren F1, fine. Gordon Murray still won't give you one. You can't get a new one now even if you wanted to. The chances of you getting one are probably no better than mine, in other words, pretty slim. Better try your luck on the lottery. All this talk of "my supercar can can beat your supercar" is rather empty. My bet is, the income of the average Brit, (not royalty, just real people like you and me) will likely be able to buy a Ford Mondeo or some sort of econo-box. Thats the reality of the situation, and nevermind your loyal worship of the "Crown" of British automobiledom, the McClaren. Stop thinking like a loyal subject! You won't ever own one of those 300 (or is it 100?) or so cars! Even if you do, it will be so far in the future, as to render it obsolete! The average American, (last time I looked), can actually aspire to own a Corvette ZO6 for $65,000 US. Thats the "miracle" of the American experience, where instead of worshiping something we can't touch, we average citicens can actually have a great car, with great performance, in our lifetime, and not just talk about it.

Another way to say it, the Chevy ZO6 that I CAN buy will lap the Ring a lot faster than the McClaren F1 that you CAN'T buy. You worship your dreams, while you look at my American tailights disappearing over the horizon.

~discalimer~
The above is for light-hearted entertainment purposes. My ancestry is British, and their is/was a castle (just ruins now) on the Antonine Wall between Scotland and England that bears my family surname. and I admire the never-say-die character, and loyal commitment of true blue British blood. This same character is what helped settle the colonies and make them strong. I actually don't feel that Britain is a foreign country at all, in some odd way, its more like my home, somewhere in the back roads of my mind. More than any other group, it is the British influence that made the USA what it is today. (Despite the crown!)

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
ali b said:
you yanks will never engineer a car better than the brits its not possible.

yeah thats ok I can live with that but the brits will never build a car that can rival any Italian built car.

The BigSHO

Established Member
Z06 is not a $66K car. At least not yet. The Bellevue (Seattle) Washington dealer is marking it up another $40+K.

You can get it now for $108K.

I balked and walked just like I would on the mark up of the Ford GT.

I like both the Z06 and the GT. I wouldn't pay more than MSRP for either...

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
lol, how did I miss this typical bloke?...

ali b said:
also the mclaren F! weighs about 200% less than the z06 has more power

No, it weights about 20% less. Since you cannot be that stupid I'll chalk this one up as a typo.

ali b said:
...and still holds many records in g-force, acceleration and stopping.

Really? Which ones would those be? I'm one of the biggest McLaren F1 fans there is and I can tell you they're all gone. It's not 1995 anymore...

ali b said:
...you yanks will never engineer a car better than the brits its not possible.

You must be referring to that -shitbox- that was Eric Broadley's Lola GT, which a guy named Carrol Shelby turned into a winner called the GT40. Same thing with some AC cars in the early 60's. Superior british engineering that got reverse engineered American style?

Try bringing out some post 1965 -production- cars (i.e. not the 315 XJ220's or 100 total McLaren F1's) made in England and they can more than be matched by a US production car, or a US car with similar production #'s. Thats what happens when one country is making quite a few more cars than the other.

ali b said:
...you need to bring the weight down a little boyz.

Sorry, just cause the C6 Z or anything else doesn't have the entire engine made of magnesium or titanium doesn't make it bad. You PAY for those materials and guess what, it would still be cheaper from a US manufacturer if they used the same materials throughout on said car as was used on a McLaren F1.

ali b said:
...and stop using engines that weigh more than england.

Ya, we have a little more weight in our engines. The results is more than 100 hp in output from it.

The funny thing about all this is I believe the biggest independent UK automaker is now TVR. Lotta pride in that I'll bet...

The BigSHO said:
Z06 is not a $66K car. At least not yet. The Bellevue (Seattle) Washington dealer is marking it up another $40+K.

You can get it now for $108K.

You're not looking hard enough. At least 2 dealers in last months issue of DuPont registry are selling them for 2K over MSRP, same with the Ford GT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread