Ford GT Rear Wheel Hp/Tq Must Exceed 600

Paul Vincent

Established Member
The 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLR with a curb weight of 3550 will have a 5.4 liter engine producing 600 hp and 575 lb. ft torque good for 205 mph. For this reason alone, the Ford GT must have at least 600 (rear wheel) hp and 600 (rear wheel) lb. ft. torque . Add to this that the '06 Z06 will have 500 hp, and the Viper already has 500 hp and will increase its hp to continue its power domination over the Vette, the Ford GT must not come to market with less than 600 rear wheel hp and torque. Yes, Ford will sell every GT that it makes even if it does not have my suggested hp and torque figures. But that is no reason to release the GT with insufficient power. This is especially important as the original target weight of 3,000 lb. seems almost impossible to meet. When Ford first announced the GT, its hp/tq rating of 500/500 sounded wonderful, but since then hp/tq figures have increased dramatically. Let's not have another case of should have, could have, would have..., this time around.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
The 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLR with a curb weight of 3550 will have a 5.4 liter engine producing 600 hp and 575 lb. ft torque good for 205 mph. For this reason alone, the Ford GT must have at least 600 (rear wheel) hp and 600 (rear wheel) lb. ft. torque . Add to this that the '06 Z06 will have 500 hp, and the Viper already has 500 hp and will increase its hp to continue its power domination over the Vette, the Ford GT must not come to market with less than 600 rear wheel hp and torque. Yes, Ford will sell every GT that it makes even if it does not have my suggested hp and torque figures. But that is no reason to release the GT with insufficient power. This is especially important as the original target weight of 3,000 lb. seems almost impossible to meet. When Ford first announced the GT, its hp/tq rating of 500/500 sounded wonderful, but since then hp/tq figures have increased dramatically. Let's not have another case of should have, could have, would have..., this time around.

What was the sticker on the SLR again? The GT is going to come in way under their original price of $120's I doubt you'll get the SLR for that. OK the C-6 isn't a reality yet. Maybe it will have 500 hp, I'm pretty sure that'll be BHP though. I've seen a few 427 LS1's that are emissions legal daily drivers. They put down around 430 rwhp and around 490 rwtq, good linear power. Could GM make more power? Sure. Would it be streetable? That reamins to be seen. Viper? well the C-5 Z06 seemed to handle them quite nicely? Fair enough of a fight anyway. So can the Viper 500BHP heavy weight outrun a 500RWHP 2005 GT-40? Guess we'll find out when everyone builds them.

jshen

Established Member
I agree...the horsepower war is on..Keep in mind the Lightning concept has 500 hp. Ford has to do better. If the GT is to be the world class "ass kicker" it's supposed to be..600 hp sounds right to me.

Last edited:

2000-S6

Established Member
Originally posted by jshen
I agree...the horsepower war is on..Keep in mind the Lightning concept has 500 hp. Ford has to do better. If the GT is to be the world class "ass kicker" it's supposed to be..600 hp sounds right to me.

amen
i mean for 120K, it's not about participating in the hp game...it's about winning...no game playing. leave low 12 second 1/4 miles to the 03 cobras...not ford gt's...
11.0-11.5 off the showroom floor. if not, then rework the sticker to $85 G

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Re: Re: Ford GT Rear Wheel Hp/Tq Must Exceed 600

Originally posted by 2000-S6
11.0-11.5 off the showroom floor. if not, then rework the sticker to $85 G

They've already said the car was going to come in well under the $120,000 estimated cost. I say give it time. 500 & 500 on the wheels is nothing to sneeze at. Particularly in a midengine vehicle. Most of the weight is ON the drive wheels. It should easily be in the 11's.:thumbsup:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Just this past week, I heard from a very good source that sticker would be $140,000.

Not doubting your source. Only source I have is MM&FF, Car & Driver, Motortrend, and Autoweek. All have had the same comment about it coming in under the projected 120. I think it was Autoweek that actually drove a few recently. They were 4.6 DOHC powered cars though. A couple were test beds only which they couldn't drive. At any rate, any info I have is from mass media. Maybe your source is adding in the DEALER GOUGING that the 2000R and 2003 Cobra buyers got??

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Only time will tell as to the true price, but this was as good a source as I'll ever get. The question in my mind is if he knew the truth and told the truth.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
No, this wasn't dealer gouging, just the list price. As for gouging, I'll bet some will want the equivalent of the sticker price for their premium, and they might get it. I remember that in '78, the twenty-fifth ann. of the Vette, that some dealers were practically doubling the sticker then (guys were paying a total of $25,000-26,000).

STrikerSix

Established Member
Your Gt..(Gt40) will be every buit as good as you want.. it will have 500 500 flywheel.. and it will still run off the showroom floor. in the upper 11's.. ..
unforntunately it the case here of.. crying babies.. " i want it to beat the Viper or C6.. it may not.. but on a track like Botton Willow.. it may.

It a track car not a 1/4 mile racer.. jeeze.. don't you gearheads know anything.. they can make those 427 Vetttes do 10's equipped with the non turning type of suspenion.. but then thats all it wil be.. this car wwill do everything well.. and if it come out soon enough will be ahead of every supercar n production today.. c'mpon boys don't you think you're a little too greedy
And i have my Sources.. you should definitely be worried about GM's C6 it will cost far less..and do either equal or more in a far more livable car..as usual

STrikerSix

Established Member
Oh in reviewing.. you want a ringer.. would it not be more satisfying coming into the game as an equal on paper and kicking the other others cars ass..ie Viper/ C6.. based on the synergy of the car and the driver who has mastered this synergy?

America is On. On target.. we' are making 4's 6's and 8 from our 3 varios makers ..although dDodge is in question if it should be considered American at all..
Caddy has the V-12(GM) Ford lke S/c Dodge is stepping back into the 80's and is gonna go turbo nutz...
and we need this NOW at this time..
your crying about the GT.. Damn..its gonna be an excellent car.. yes it will cost more than Americans are usd too,.. but to not take a backseat to these expensive imports that have been kicking sand in our faces of late.. i welcome the 500/500 GT.. and it will still kick their collective as-ses..
And for the record i was n sorta am a Ford kinda guy just got sidetracked .. imagine i'f Ford and Gm( blashfemy) were to work together for the ultimate import super destroyer... an Svt Slp collaboration.. i mean GM is commitet to pushrod.. and rightfully so, they will squeeze 500 out of a 416 Ls1 based motor with out any forced induction.. i say combine the 2 phylosophies

Paul Vincent

Established Member
No beer crying here SS. Whether Ford releases the GT at 500 rw hp or 600 rw hp the '03 Cobra boys have shown just what kind of power can easily and relatively cheaply be gotten out of the Modular engines. And, where the Cobra has difficulty making the most efficacious use of that power, the GT (not that it's a drag car) won't. As for the C6 and its pushrod engine, that's okay too. It will be interesting to see just what the C6 will actually be. But as for making hp, you must be aware that Chevy recently received the benefits of Ford's Cosworth race engine development. Sam Hornish took second last weekend, and the next Chevy was tenth (the other Indy cars with Chevy engines have yet to get the Cosworth blessing). Maybe Ford and Chevy will team up more in the future. Stranger things have happened. Remember, Louie and Gaston Chevrolet both worked for Henry Ford (and so did the Dodge brothers).

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Also, SS, that the GT would have 500-500 flywheel (app 425 rw) is a bit presumptious. Dyno testing has shown that the Cobra's 390 hp claim produces greater rw hp than the Z06's claim of 405 hp. Perhaps Ford will once again understate actual hp figures and it will take a dyno and or actual testing to reveal true hp.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
dyno test claims

Also, SS, that the GT would have 500-500 flywheel (app 425 rw) is a bit presumptious. Dyno testing has shown that the Cobra's 390 hp claim produces greater rw hp than the Z06's claim of 405 hp. Perhaps Ford will once again understate actual hp figures and it will take a dyno and or actual testing to reveal true hp.
HE SAID, SHE SAID, CLAIM, CLAIM, CLAIM

I remember in '70, there was a dyno test by Hot Rod Mag. or somebody, between the Boss 302 and the Z-28 engs. I think it was "Dyno" Don or "Grumpy" Jenkins. One of them broke in each eng. for 8hrs. and then run tests exactly the same. Both engs. were advertising 290hp.(under 300, insurance reasons).

Test results: BOSS 302....327HP
..................Z-28...........325HP

Gene

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread