Ford Service Center *Rant

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Took the daily driver for a tire rotation and oil change at Nissan. Last time I wrote a small number in black Sharpie on each rim, because for some reason I just don't trust them. It came back with the Sharpie numbers erased! I couldn't prove anything.

This time I took a gray Sharpie and made tiny dots on each tire representing the numbers 1 through 4. You would never notice it. Car came back and they only rotated the right side tires! This is their "express" service. GTR certified dealer my ass!

SHOdown220

Established Member
Tech turned writer here. I can see both sides here. The call center sucks, always have, always will. They don't know what kind of time anything requires, god forbid they give you a cost estimate over the phone. This is not your fault, but its an unfortunate aspect of every dealer I've worked at. My suggestion is find a dealer and an advisor you like, and call them directly. All of my clients call me directly and I can give them accurate timeframes and cost estimates.

That being said, 1 hour on ANYTHING is unrealistic unless you are going to jiffy lube for a quick oil change. Diesel takes even longer. That doesn't mean it can't be done in that timeframe, it just should not be expected. Appointments are a a set time to have your vehicle at the dealer, not to have it looked it. There will not be a technician waiting to work on your vehicle at that exact time. If that were the case, we would be standing around waiting on people who are late, or who no show, as well as an extremely limited number of appointments, and setting appointments for days, weeks or months out. Non appointments for emergencies are worked in as soon as possible, and for non emergencies are put lowest priority and attempted to finish by the end of the day if possible. Of course customer is notified of this.

I always recommend dropping off your vehicle and agreeing upon a pick up time with the advisor at the time of drop off. If you need to wait, the advisor should be able to ball park a decent estimate based on the current work load. We finish basic services in under an hour on a regular basis, but I never promise less than an hour for anything other than a state inspection.

Also, I have yet to find a competent Ford dealer in my area for service. I've tried 5 and worked at 1, all of them were shit. I know there are good ones out there but its tough finding the right one for you.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Appointments are a a set time to have your vehicle at the dealer, not to have it looked it. There will not be a technician waiting to work on your vehicle at that exact time. If that were the case, we would be standing around waiting on people who are late, or who no show, as well as an extremely limited number of appointments, and setting appointments for days, weeks or months out.
I make my appointments @ 8 am, that dealers 1st appointment.
The techs start work @ 8 am.
It has been my experience that the tech shows up to pull the vehicle in the bay, shortly after 8 am..

SHOdown220

Established Member
I make my appointments @ 8 am, that dealers 1st appointment.
The techs start work @ 8 am.
It has been my experience that the tech shows up to pull the vehicle in the bay, shortly after 8 am..

That is the best time to schedule if you are planning on waiting. It’s not always the case but more often than not if you are there waiting for the doors to open you will get in the shop right away.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The pot has been boiling on this dealership shit since Friday. Looking for ideas moving forward.

Last time I used a dealership SERVICE DEPT for anything, was 2008.

Why operate and abide by the factory warranty when I am able to do my own work? Other than being GOLD CERTIFIED if I decide to trade it in someday, is the warranty and the scheduled maintenance and headache worth it?

I'm glad I didn't buy no damn extended warranty. **** dealerships!

The vehicle: F250 6.7 diesel 10,000 miles

The dealership, (where the owner has entirely to much money)
OC Welch Ford, Hardeeville, SC 29927

Cliffnotes:

2 weeks out schedule my 10,000 mile service. With a run down of services to be performed
Female rep says we have appointments for 830, 930, 10:00
This sounds like the quick lane, can you get all the required stuff completed in an hour? Answer: YES

Arrive 20 minutes early. I get "What brings you in today, what do you need done?" Just a record of my appointment no notes after a 30 minute discussion with a warm body, empty head representative 2 weeks ago.

Rep, "Ok no problem 10,000 mile check up? Are you going to wait, it'll be about 2 to 2 1/2 hours?"

I was pretty much stuck. Service manager was putting out fires everywhere In the midst of my dilemma another customer smashed the lobby door. Had to pull the Karen card, he assured me, I'll get you out in an hour.

He didn't. two hours later......late for work and they only changed the oil out of all the areas to be done at 10,000 miles.

I'm big on 'in writing" and procedures being followed. An oil change is not the only requirement for the 10k mile service.

And being an Amsoil guy, best I got was a sort of synthetic motorcraft blend anyways.

All this just for a warranty?

They don't have to service your vehicle in order for your factory warranty to stay in tact.

Dealer Service dept's are the worst and absolute retards. Hard pass.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
They don't have to service your vehicle in order for your factory warranty to stay in tact.

Kia. Kia is the worst about "come here if you want your warranty to stay intact". **** Kia.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I once brought my Tacoma in for a recall. While waiting, one of the guys walks in to show me how dirty my air filter was (it wasn't). He asked if I wanted it changed and I said no. 6 months go by and probably 20k miles, I picked up a new filter at the parts store and proceed to change it only to open the air box and discover there was no filter. Absolutely no one else touched the vehicle in that timeframe.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I once brought my Tacoma in for a recall. While waiting, one of the guys walks in to show me how dirty my air filter was (it wasn't). He asked if I wanted it changed and I said no. 6 months go by and probably 20k miles, I picked up a new filter at the parts store and proceed to change it only to open the air box and discover there was no filter. Absolutely no one else touched the vehicle in that timeframe.
My 08 Expedition was having acceleration issues. It would randomly have no power and suddenly it would come back. They ended up diagnosing it to a bad MAF sensor. After that they told me my AEM air filter was causing issues with the MAF. I pointed out they found out it was a bad sensor. They wanted to put a stock filter back in. I didn't pay for it so whatever. I told them my AEM better be in my vehicle as they weren't keeping it. I pick it up and spaced on looking for the filter. I thought about it when I got home and looked around. No AEM filter anywhere. I called the advisor and he just said sorry and grabbed it back from the tech. When I went to pick it up I asked why the tech wanted to keep my filter if it was a known issue. It was entertaining to watch him stumble an answer.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Customers can be the problem as well, or make the problem worse. We had a customer show up 20 min late and then get pissed when he was told that we would look at his vehicle as soon as possible, but right now the technician assigned for that job is working on someone else's car. The guy came unhinged. Demanded that the tech quit working on the other car and work on his because "he had an appointment". Never mind he showed up late.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
My 08 Expedition was having acceleration issues. It would randomly have no power and suddenly it would come back. They ended up diagnosing it to a bad MAF sensor. After that they told me my AEM air filter was causing issues with the MAF. I pointed out they found out it was a bad sensor. They wanted to put a stock filter back in. I didn't pay for it so whatever. I told them my AEM better be in my vehicle as they weren't keeping it. I pick it up and spaced on looking for the filter. I thought about it when I got home and looked around. No AEM filter anywhere. I called the advisor and he just said sorry and grabbed it back from the tech. When I went to pick it up I asked why the tech wanted to keep my filter if it was a known issue. It was entertaining to watch him stumble an answer.
Most dealers keep old parts for 24 hours after a repair just in case a customer wants to see or take old parts. I doubt the tech took it to keep. It’s just an air filter. Not worth keeping.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Customers can be the problem as well, or make the problem worse. We had a customer show up 20 min late and then get pissed when he was told that we would look at his vehicle as soon as possible, but right now the technician assigned for that job is working on someone else's car. The guy came unhinged. Demanded that the tech quit working on the other car and work on his because "he had an appointment". Never mind he showed up late.

See I can’t deal with that type of shit…

I would immediately roll that mother ****er to the back of the line as far as I could. Pluto would be ahead of him.

**** that guy. This is why I could never work customer service…

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
See I can’t deal with that type of shit…

I would immediately roll that mother ****er to the back of the line as far as I could. Pluto would be ahead of him.

**** that guy. This is why I could never work customer service…
We offered to give him a shuttle ride to anywhere he wanted to go while his car was there. He flat said no way, you work on my car right now or I am going to leave and then I am going to slam this place all over social media.
Hasta la vista idiot. (we said that on the inside as he stormed out)
Some people think the world revolves around them.

Tezz500

Established Member
We offered to give him a shuttle ride to anywhere he wanted to go while his car was there. He flat said no way, you work on my car right now or I am going to leave and then I am going to slam this place all over social media.
Hasta la vista idiot. (we said that on the inside as he stormed out)
Some people think the world revolves around them.

I really think it’s important to have worked in customer service at least once in your life so you can have an understanding of what the other side deals with.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

I would disagree somewhat with that. If you had something come up at say, 17,000 miles, and were a no show for your factory 10,000 mile service, (depending on what the issue is), they could approach it as, the problem could have been identified if you had brought your vehicle in and chose not to. Just an example and why I figured I thought I was doing the right thing.

I may be wrong, but I think almost 95% of the time, the warranty isn't gonna cover what needs to be replaced due to wear and tear limits anyways. I may be wrong

Also to note I science **** and over think things to the max. 20 years military and an Airframe and Powerplant technician will create that mindset. Maybe cause its a diesel I am just way the **** over thinking my approach towards the maintenance piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to point out, the dealer did offer me a ride but when they found out I am 24 miles away they were unable to support

No vehicle to borrow while my truck stayed there. I asked. Even told em I had a clean driving record.

Anyways, moving forward, I will approach some stuff differently. Starting with no more phone calls, I will go directly to my service advisor in person and make appts if need be and see how things go. Maybe there will be some positive outcomes.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I would disagree somewhat with that. If you had something come up at say, 17,000 miles, and were a no show for your factory 10,000 mile service, (depending on what the issue is), they could approach it as, the problem could have been identified if you had brought your vehicle in and chose not to. Just an example and why I figured I thought I was doing the right thing.

I may be wrong, but I think almost 95% of the time, the warranty isn't gonna cover what needs to be replaced due to wear and tear limits anyways. I may be wrong

Also to note I science **** and over think things to the max. 20 years military and an Airframe and Powerplant technician will create that mindset. Maybe cause its a diesel I am just way the **** over thinking my approach towards the maintenance piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to point out, the dealer did offer me a ride but when they found out I am 24 miles away they were unable to support

No vehicle to borrow while my truck stayed there. I asked. Even told em I had a clean driving record.

Anyways, moving forward, I will approach some stuff differently. Starting with no more phone calls, I will go directly to my service advisor in person and make appts if need be and see how things go. Maybe there will be some positive outcomes.

Nope. Lucky for us, a consumer can service their vehicle wherever the F they want. This has been decided in the courts and upheld many times.

Ive lost count of how many new vehicles ive bought and ive NEVER serviced them at the dealer because the the reasons in your original post. I do ALL of my own work.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member

Depends on what the issue is. But, as long as you can provide proof you’ve had service done outside of a dealership then warranty is usually still good. If you came to my dealer with a blown engine at 30k miles and demanded a new engine but couldn’t provide proof youve had oil changes because you did them all yourself then you would not be getting an engine.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on what the issue is. But, as long as you can provide proof you’ve had service done outside of a dealership then warranty is usually still good. If you came to my dealer with a blown engine at 30k miles and demanded a new engine but couldn’t provide proof youve had oil changes because you did them all yourself then you would not be getting an engine.

It does not "depend what the issue is".

Further, please explain where I said one can NOT maintain their vehicle and keep the warranty.

The assertion is that you do NOT NEED TO USE THE DEALER to maintain your vehicle to keep the warranty and that is a fact supported by tons of case law.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
It does not "depend what the issue is".

Further, please explain where I said one can NOT maintain their vehicle and keep the warranty.

The assertion is that you do NOT NEED TO USE THE DEALER to maintain your vehicle to keep the warranty and that is a fact supported by tons of case law.
Most people who choose not to use a dealer decide to do the work themselves, like you. And most people who do work themselves typically do not document the work they do meaning keeping receipts.

The problem with doing your own work or going to a independent shop is people are not up to date on procedures for new cars. For example, a customer came in with a ABS light on their civic with 35k miles on it. We determined it needed a new left rear caliper. The caliper piston would not activate. After noticing it had new rear pads we told the customer that it wouldn’t be covered because someone clearly did brake work on the car. The shop he brought it to manually compressed the caliper instead of doing it electronically with a scan tool. So now the customer is stuck paying $450 for a caliper instead of going to a place that knows what they are doing.

Tezz500

Established Member

You do not need to provide proof of anything. The manufacturer is obligated to prove the issue wasn’t covered under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread