Ford Testing Twin Turbo 7.3L Godzilla

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Story found here (Ford Authority): Ford Working On Twin-Turbo Godzilla V8: Exclusive

Since its introduction, the Ford 7.3L Godzilla V8 has become a hit among Ford Super Duty buyers. And more recently, the traditional pushrod powerplant became available in crate motor form. We’ve also received a few hints as to the Godzilla’s incredible power potential, which is quite impressive in both naturally aspirated and supercharged forms. And now, The Blue Oval has gone the extra mile and created a twin turbo version of the Godzilla V8, Ford Authority has learned from sources familiar with the automaker’s research and development projects.

Ford-7.3L-Godzilla-V8-Crate-Engine-003.jpg

According to those sources, the twin turbo Ford Godzilla V8 is being tested in at least two Ford Super Duty models, where it’s a verifiable “monster” – quite a fitting description given the engine’s name.

As of this writing, it’s unclear whether the twin-turbo version of the Ford Godzilla V8 will actually make it to production. However, work is ongoing to test the configuration out in the real world. Though photos of the prototypes are currently not available, Ford Authority can exclusively report that the Super Duty models fitted with the twin-turbo Godzilla engine feature heat shields on each corner of the front end, along with a modified hood treatment.

per-Duty-Lariat-with-Sport-Package-Exterior-003-Silver-Front-Three-Quarters-First-Drive-1024x683.jpg

2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Currently, the naturally-aspirated Godzilla V8 is offered in the F-Series Super Duty, where it makes a very healthy 430 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 475 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM. Two lower-output tunes are available in the E-Series cutaway, F-600 as well as the F-650 and F-750 Heavy Trucks.

In fact, many prefer the idea of an old-fashioned pushrod / Overhead Valve (OHV) engine as opposed to Dual-Overhead-Cam (DOHC) motors like Ford’s 5.0L Coyote V8 thanks to their simplicity and copious amounts of low-end torque. And despite its large displacement, the Godzilla also has rather compact dimensions, particularly when compared to the Coyote, making it easier to swap into a variety of vehicles. Thus, the boosted Godzilla would prove to be an intriguing option for many, should it ever see the light of day

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
So Prochargers, Whipples and now Twin Turbos. Ford nailed it with this engine. Truly a beast.

I enjoy the last paragraph:

"In fact, many prefer the idea of an old-fashioned pushrod / Overhead Valve (OHV) engine as opposed to Dual-Overhead-Cam (DOHC) motors like Ford’s 5.0L Coyote V8 thanks to their simplicity and copious amounts of low-end torque. And despite its large displacement, the Godzilla also has rather compact dimensions, particularly when compared to the Coyote, making it easier to swap into a variety of vehicles."

Last edited:

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but I'm not why they need to fill the gap between the 7.3 and the 6.7. Personally, I never seen a 7.3 equipped super duty on the road. Looks like most go straight for the 6.7 around my area which is understandable considering what you get on top of the resell.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing this happen but I'm not why they need to fill the gap between the 7.3 and the 6.7. Personally, I never seen a 7.3 equipped super duty on the road. Looks like most go straight for the 6.7 around my area which is understandable considering what you get on top of the resell.

I'd say it's a pretty even split, with all of the Tremors I've seen. About half and half on the engine choices. A lot of Tremor guys that had diesel engine trucks previously have gone to the 7.3L

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Really happy to see ford performance working on aftermarket options for that motor. Hopefully we see it in a factory truck in the future or better a mustang.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Cant wait to see one swapped into a new Lightning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
ABOUT. DAMN. TIME.

Though, it would be criminal to give SD buyers this TT option and NOT give a factory flex fuel option with it.

Jesus, someone finally flicked FoMoCo's balls and they are still (kinda) there.

Users who are viewing this thread